*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Donald@HIDevolution

Donald@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    dzeek likes this.
  2. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    What temperature or performance benefit did you notice @ -230mV/-130mV (core / cache?) vs -130mV/-130mV?

@unclewebb describes the side-effect from ThrottleStop continuing to allow independent core / cache settings even after Intel started locking the Core/Cache undervolt settings in 6th gen CPU's moving forward:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-7700hq-undervolt.800689/page-4#post-10757542

Read it carefully a few times.

I responded in that thread already. But, I'd add that I'd stick to setting the core / cache undervolt values the same to find the best undervolt first, and stop there.
    It gets confusing to then go further and try to tickle a beneficial side effect by varying the Core undervolt further - as that value is "not real", the real value used for undervolting Core / Cache is the lower setting of the Cache undervolt.

Even if the CPU sticks with the lower Cache undervolt setting for the Core undervolt setting in reality - it gets confusing to try to explain this to someone else, especially a newbie that is already struggling with the concepts involved.

Example - Why increase the Core undervolt if it's not being used to set the Core undervolt? - What difference am I looking for? and how far is too far? Tune for stable "extended" Core undervolt until unstable and back-off +5mV?

There are not a lot of examples so far, but it "looks like" increasing the Core undervolt -100mV "gets you there" in the range of the trick becoming effective?

Generally when walking a newbie through undervolting it's tough enough getting them to take the time to methodically test for a load stable and then an idle stable @ a single core / cache undervolt setting, to then add varying further the Core undervolt setting "higher" seems like pushing their patience a bit past reasonable.

IDK if the benefits are worth the confusion.
    For those of you that have tried this trick, what benefits in thermals / performance did you get vs keeping the undervolt the same for core/cache?

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  3. gpaunescu

gpaunescu Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    +1 for Turbo Boost off; it just produce over hit. I didn't notice lower performance in my daily tasks. The temperatures are lower.

Diversion and hmscott like this.
  4. Azeem

Azeem Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
  5. Azeem

Reputations:
    Less than a week in and I've picked up my first chip from some fairly innocuous contact with my watch. Be safe, guys.
    Also, any tips on manually touching this up? It's annoying the hell out of me to look at it!
    IMG_20180712_132322.jpg

hmscott likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
  7. ozbdfdqj

ozbdfdqj Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm trying to return my GS65 so I haven't had it for a week, but iirc it quite significant. -230mV/-130mV scored like ~40 points higher in cinebench versus -150mV/-150mV which was my lowest stable symmetric undervolt.

Also I posted my benchmarks and thermals earlier in this thread and on reddit, and the recommendation was to return it because the temps were really bad. Unfortunately the retailer checked it out for themselves and they're considering the temperatures not an issue because it isn't shutting down from the heat I guess.

I mean I'm sure the thing could throttle to 2.2 GHz and run stably at 92 C for days, but that doens't mean the hardware is reaching the advertised performance.

8. Azeem

Reputations:
    My GS65 battery wear suddenly shot up from zero to 10% overnight after less than a week of use. Full capacity was ~80Wh which has suddenly dropped to 72Wh. Should I be worried about this/look to return this?
    Also, is this battery replacable, or built into the motherboard?

EDIT: Adding a screenshot of the Windows Battery Report here. As you can see, it's suddenly decided to go from 100% to 88% in literally the space of a minute and refuses to charge beyond that. I'm starting to think this might be some kind of calibration glitch?
    batterywear.PNG

Last edited: Jul 12, 2018
  9. stranula

stranula Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I suspect this would be fixed with a calibration. Use the MSI battery calibration tool and see if it fixes the issue.

You could also try charging to full, unplug, let run down a little, plug it in again, and see if it charges the rest of the way up.

The battery is very easily replaced (if you can find a replacement). 3 screws and a plug is all it takes

JRey likes this.
  10. hackness

hackness Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    It is because you turned off and start the laptop on battery when it is at 72Wh. When it starts up, it gets tricked by the current available Wh and makes the OS think that is the maximum capacity so it reported that way. If you plugged in and still see the battery light at the side of the laptop still lights up, it means it is still charging, it's just the OS is reporting it wrong. I've come across this too, charge to battery light on the side of the laptop dims, restart and the missing capacity is back again. If charging while the laptop is turn on does not charge further, try charging with the laptop turned off.

I think this is so wrong that MSI did it that way, on ASUS and CLEVO they don't have this problem.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2018
    Azeem likes this.