*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. Buffalord

Buffalord Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    My Aida trial ended a couple days ago. Also, I know if I lower the cache past 180, I start to get crashes. -280 is gonna be an instant bsod. Do you have a different program you want me to try? I can post average temps from prime 95. I’ll put them up tomorrow, I gotta go to bed

Last edited: Jul 1, 2018
    hmscott and Papusan like this.
  2. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOK's Sucks! Dont waste your $$$ on FILTHY

Reputations:
    Yeah. Run it exactly as the guide mentioned in my post but switch to P95 and Heaven. Just follow the guide :)

Edit. Maybe I missed info due I’m on my phone. People most part usually undervolt Cashe higher than the Core domain. Aka the opposite vs. you

3. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Just for grins, you might try disabling ThrottleStop and see if you can run the same undervolt settings in XTU. I'm wondering if something else in TS is affecting this undervolt range, as it's a bit unusual to put it mildly.

Also there were BIOS hacks that skewed the undervolt / overvolt settings quite a bit, you didn't happen to play with that?

I guess this could be a new batch of laptops with even higher BIOS voltage settings in the BIOS on the CPU, which allow for more Core undervolt range, but that would show up for others too if they updated their BIOS - what rev # is it?

There have been other -170mV to -180mV reports, but usually they edge downward after longer stability testing - and after running a variety of apps and games.

It's quite exciting :)

It would be interesting to get some comparisons on power, thermals, performance differences between stock and your final best tunings to see how much cooling effect this gives. @ -100mV at stock -10c is the usual reduction at 100% all Core CPU load, so this large undervolt might be measurably more.

So you mentioned someone else was getting undervolt in this range too? Did you sync up your TS / BIOS settings so you are playing by the same "rules" in the same environment? Again it would be interesting to see XTU running with the same settings on their laptop too for comparison - while TS is disabled or uninstalled so it's other effects aren't in play.

Thanks for all the updates, I look forward to your posts. :)

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  4. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    Interesting, I would have expected TS to block this differential setting then, I wonder if he see's the same thing in XTU.

@Buffalord try syncing up the cache/core in TS then, and/or try XTU and see what that offers, try the multiplier settings in XTU while you are there too.

5. OWNORDISOWN

OWNORDISOWN Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thanks for posting this mate

Pedro69 likes this.
  6. Xocomil

Xocomil Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I called one of the MSI resellers in Canada. They said warranty voided if the GS65 is opened up - whether to add more ram, 2nd SSD, etc

How are you guys dealing with this?

I am interested in the laptop but warranty is important for me in case of motherboard issues, etc.

Thanks

hmscott likes this.
  7. EpicNoodle7

EpicNoodle7 Newbie

Reputations:
    What shift do you guys use when undervolting and gaming?

hmscott and Buffalord like this.
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It's not up to the reseller, you can call MSI directly to confirm.

Xocomil and hmscott like this.
  9. Buffalord

Reputations:
    running heaven and prime 95 at the same time is much less stable than running realbench

hmscott and raz8020 like this.
  10. Buffalord

Reputations:
    Odd. While I don’t see major temp differences when cpu and gpu at 100% for both combinations, the -300 one gets bsods when running firestrike and heaven together

hmscott, raz8020 and Papusan like this.