*** The Official MSI GS65 Stealth Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Skylake_, Apr 3, 2018.

1. hackness

hackness Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Oh I replied too quickly, sorry about that, thank you again.

2. SplineO

SplineO Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The first time I tried to boot I had actually forgot to plug the battery back in. So ONLY the Power adapter. No Luck! Just had it open again. There is nothing I can see. All cables are correctly placed, including the Power Button Cable! No leakage Whatsoever on the LM (but I did insulate with Scotch super 33+ to be safe).
    Battery and Power cable connected, nothing, nothing lighting up even for a second. Like the Power Button was just not working.

3. quickie

quickie Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Replied without reading.

4. Falkentyne

Falkentyne Notebook Prophet

Reputations:
    The power button is dead?
    Did you have to physically remove the motherboard to do your upgrade? Did you have to remove several ribbon or other cables?
    If you did, are you sure you connected the power connector securely to the mainboard? I don't know that mainboard nor the schematic.
    But the power button being 'dead' means something is physically disconnected. Please check the connections to the keyboard/case chassis AND to the motherboard. Pretty much all I can say.

5. pdagal

pdagal Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The ribbon cable that connects the power button to the motherboard is on the opposite side of most the other connectors (near the top/screen end of motherboard rather than toward the battery). It's also tiny- make sure you reconnected it, it's easy to forget.

Falkentyne and hmscott like this.
  6. cranker2k

cranker2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Very easy fix if you open it. You'll see 5 to 6 tabs on the front of the bottom panel that suppose to go into the upper front panel. wrap them with scotch tape and that's it. Creaks are 95% gone.

robohgedhang and Skylake_ like this.
  7. cranker2k

cranker2k Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I would back track and double check the following:
    1. RAM chips - re-seat them. I once didn't seat them as tight/deep as possible and machine didn't come up at all
    2. Check all ribbons again to verify if they are properly seated. The assembly folks drew a solid thick black line across the ribbon for you to see. When you insert the ribbon, you can visually check if the black line stroke meet the connector, or there are ribbon color showing.
    3. Check your AC adapter and it's plugs. I had OEM AC adapter gone dark on me before. If you have another AC adapter/laptop with 5.5/2.5mm barrel, then that would be a easy verification.
    4. If all fails, take out your RAM and M.2 upgrades and see if the system starts up.

8. SplineO

Reputations:
    Thanks for the tips!

Did all of those. Upgrades are out. No Luck.

Here are a few shots https://imgur.com/a/iY4g9dp

Power Plug is on the Mainboard, so I wouldn't have missed that! Also, if I plug the power in, and the Lid is closed... the front LED lights up. If I open the lid.. the LED goes off. There is a mircoswitch close to USB port on the power plug side. It seems this would sit flush to the backCover. No Idea what that is for. In general, I can't find any missing connection. Power is obviously coming into the Mainboard... it is just not turning on! :(

9. Papusan

Papusan JOKEBOOKS = That sucks! Dont wast your $$ on FILTH

Reputations:
    Try reset Nvram. Or remove added hardware(do same reset steps if it doesn’t help). See how it goes

10. SplineO

Reputations:
    How do I reset NVRAM?

Put it all back together.. NOTHING. If the Betery is in, the LED does not turn on when I plug the power. Is that normal? If I disconnect the Battery it goes on!