*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Nov 12, 2018.

1. xaqutor

xaqutor Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm pretty interested in the GE75, but I have 2 concerns, firstly how hard is it to add in the second ram stick? It almost looks like the ram sticks are tucked under the heat pipes. Secondly the batteries are right next to the fans/heatpipes, wouldn't the heat cause problems for the battery a few years down the line?

2. Lurker Below

Lurker Below Notebook Guru

Reputations:

shows the placement of the RAM slots on the GE75 / RTX2080 flavor. That second slot doesn't seem obstructed.

Right after that, she comments on the battery. The bottom plate apparently has a small wall which goes between the battery and heat pipes to reduce the effect of the latter on the former. Don't know how effective that is but they've apparently at least thought about it.

Edit:

Gah. The links don't reflect the intended times.

See t=943 and t=965 respectively.

xaqutor likes this.
  3. ChrisTT

ChrisTT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    May I ask whitch programs for undervolting CPU and GPU you have choosen?

Last edited: Feb 23, 2019
  4. heraldo_jones

heraldo_jones Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    ThrottleStop is the way to go as it allows you to change configs on the fly and play with them. Also EVGA Precision X1 software allows to tweak the gpu and looks great.

5. ChrisTT

ChrisTT Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Is EVGA Precision better than MSI Afterburner?

6. MishAus

MishAus Newbie

Reputations:
    Hi everyone! Just joined this and first post. I too am also a proud owner of the GE75 RTX 2070.

I thought i would give my two cents on things since everyone here seems super helpful.

What I Like:

The price was reasonable. FYI im in Australia. I managed to get mine for 3295 AUD. This was from JB HIFI that has the price listed as 3999 AUD. I priced matched with Mwave then managed to convince them to take off more because of the 256 SSD rather than the 512 SSD that Mwave had. This worked out well for me since i dont need a big SSD and still have the 1tb HDD for all my games and big stuff.

The screen is gorgeous. Look its not the best but its very nice to look at. The matte display has no glare at all and the refresh rate makes its smooth and buttery.

The performance. Maybe im just used to be 2013 macbook pro and an oldschool gamer. But wow i couldn't believe the performance of this thing. I cracked open witcher 3 for the first time and was just delighted at the graphics. Everything on ultra and smashing around 80 - 100 fps. Im running a single stick 16 gb memory but I have read and watched videos saying that dual channel will add more FPS

Size and portability. The 17 inch is great. What i dont understand is the 15 inch model. It is basically the same size because it has thick bezels and doesn't weigh much less. I dont see why someone would buy that when the 17inch has a similar form factor and weight. This is heavy but still portable. If you are not traveling too much then this strikes a good balance of portability vs power. And yes i know you have the titans and larger laptops but (in my opinion) these are just heavy desktop replacements that i would feel uncomfortable moving around.

The port selection is decent. no #donglelife for me.

What I Dont Like:

The battery life. OMG seriously. Am i doing something wrong? Im lucky to even get 2 hours of browsing web or typing a document on this thing with all power saving modes on eco on and screen and the lowest brightness. It really makes doing anything without it being connected to power a constant worry.

CPU temp. The GPU temp is great but the 8750 H just runs way too hot. The fans dont really help much after about 4000rpm they max out around 5500ish rpm. I did do some undervolting with throttlestop and this helped a lot. I managed to get -130mv on core and cache but i could probably push it to -140 but meh.

The power brick. It looks good but damn its heavy. And with the bad battery life you pretty much need to take this with you which significantly adds to your carry weight.

Feel free to ask any questions. Im not a techy just your average guy that likes to game and knows a bit about computers.

ryzeki likes this.
  7. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That is clearly not the GE75 2080 js. The 2080 version the ram is partially blocked however it is accessable.

My GE75 / 2080

**See post below.

[​IMG]

8. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Here is some real life testing. Been wanting to test this myself for weeks just haven't had time. Enjoy :). Having my ifixit plastic triangle pry tool handy made life alot easier. You will need to do some wiggling but its 100% doable.

Removed
    [​IMG]

The angle I found worked easiest for removal and re-installation.
    [​IMG]

ryzeki and xaqutor like this.
  9. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Thank you for your impressions on the machine!

Regarding battery life and power brick - You have to remember you bought a gaming laptop that packs the full version of the GPUs and thus requires a large amount of power to work. These machines need power bricks of over 200W and thus they end up being big. Small power bricks simply do not give the necessary power to help you get 100% performance and charge your machine.

Regarding battery life: Every single notebook that packs a powerful GPU and is not using Optimus/hybrid/switchable graphics, will have "horrible" battery life. This means 2 hours tops in general. Any "gaming laptop" that gives you a lot of battery life uses the integrated graphics. Right now you pack serious performance in both GPU and CPU in an uncompromising package, but you also expect or need long battery life? GE series is meant for gaming first, unlike other series from MSI and it sacrifices switchable graphics.

One thing to consider is that Optimus/switchable graphics machines, while they do bring larger battery life, they generally have a small % penalty in gaming performance and TDP consumption of the CPU, among other things. If you feel the machine does not have your desired expectations, there are other products that you can consider, because pure gaming machines like GE series will always have the penalty in battery life.

Regarding temp- Yeah the CPU runs specially hot in all i7 machines, and generally undervolted is required. Not only to keep temps in control, but to have good sustained performance. You did good by undervolting. If you want to further improve that, there are BIOS tweaks you can perform to reduce voltage in the "best" way and also free up a bit of power for the CPU, to keep sustained performance.

custom90gt likes this.
  10. MishAus

MishAus Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks ryzeki,

Do you know if the GE75 has Optimus and if so, how can I enable this?

Can you and others verify that 2 hours is normal for the GE75? What battery life are you getting on yours? I have seen other reviews stating they are getting 3 or 4 hours. For example:

https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-ge75-raider-rtx-gaming-laptop,5983.html

Lisa from mobile tech review is stating she gets 4 hours. (check the the video at 18:53). She also mentions optimus. So again no idea if this is on in my machine and how to enable it.

Is it worth touching the BIOS vs ThrottleStop? will there be any noticeable improvement?