*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Nov 12, 2018.

1. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Yeah I agree. I find it VERY annoying that:

1) We have multiple versions of the same "GPU" with different TDP
    2) The TDP of these max Q laptops is LOWER than previous Gen, artificially capping performance further.

I have no doubts that a 100w 2080 max q would have really showed what the new GPUs could do, but at such TDP, they couldn't put it in even smaller laptops, and thus couldnt gouge poor users into the evil scheme of max q.

seanwee likes this.
  2. Scramble74

Scramble74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    With one day of testing I really like my GE63 Raider. All games I've tried work well in 4k with the exception of AC: Odyssey where I had to drop details too much for me. Using it's own 144hz display is ok, but to my eyes framerates seem bit uneven and I prefer 60hz in external tv-display.

I've been comparing it to my old 6700hq with GTX1070. When Raider is on basic 2.2ghz clock it's roughly equal (except multi-core which is bit faster). When it's allowed to adjust it's speed it's a lot faster of course but I don't like the fan noise. To me it looks like most important is the RTX2080 GPU as I have seen little performance difference in games regardless of core clock. It's also amazing to me how small and light the thing is after my last 5kg laptop.

Tomorrow I should get 2x16gb CL15 ram which I'll use to replace the original 2x8gb CL19 sticks, though I don't know if that'll make much difference in performance.

Bit scared of the upgrading process. I haven't opened my Raider yet and the heat pipe on top of another ram slot in toms hardware review looked scary. I wonder how the heat pipes are set in even smaller GE63.

ryzeki likes this.
  3. BlueWlvrn

BlueWlvrn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Does anyone know what typically is entailed w/boosting your OS and if there are some how-tos out there?

Just pulled the trigger and ordered a GE75.

4. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Maybe next gen GS75 too lol....gsync is not needed. Can easily hit 144fps and in the future can drop settings to continue. By then I will have sold my GE75 2080 and would probably have a GE75 3080 / 4080 or whatever anyway. People just trying to find anything wrong lol.

5. Jacol

Jacol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    @Lunatik

144fps? Yeah in Quake 3 Arena maybe or CS.

Nobody buys +2000EUR machine to game on low setting in 1280x720p

And gaming on high/ultra with 2080 Ti even on normal PC in most new games does not come close to 144fps in 1920x1080p. Stop spreading BS please.

6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On laptops most games will not hit 144 fps, not necessarily only because of the gpu but also due to a weaker cpu compared to desktop counterparts.

@Jacol while I agree that having g-sync is a great bonus, it is not essential.

If laptop makers do indeed include g-sync on all their laptops, it will be certainly be great for everyone. Unfortunately most choose to either have g-sync or optimus and do not have an option for you to switch between the two.

But I trust it will be a feature in all laptops in the near future seeing that Intel will also be supporting adaptive sync. Like how high refresh rate panels became commonplace in the past few years.

7. Jacol

Jacol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    As I stated, just review benchmarks regarding normal PC. High end CPU with 2080 Titanium mostly go around 100-110fps average in more than 12 games tested. So even less with notebooks.

Of course gsync is not needed, same as ssd's. You can game without it. But it should be certainly a standard at this price range and it adds a practical value and actual feature that's make users experience better.

Last edited: Feb 15, 2019
    IKAS V and seanwee like this.
  8. ryzeki

Reputations:
    That is why I was asking if GE used optimus, because optimus tech is not compatible with gsync for the time being. I doubt they would implement gsync on GS series as long as they keep using optimus, but who knows? Maybe in the future. It's not like we can't use external monitors anyways :p

9. ryzeki

Reputations:
    The main advantage of gsync at such high framerates is the reduced input lag in comparison to regular sync technologies. As well as responding/feeling better against frame variance.

I agree that in this price range it should be standard thanks to the added value.

custom90gt and seanwee like this.
  10. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is true but when you have a 144hz it shouldn't be a problem most of the modern games will not push over 144 fps anyway.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk