*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Jacol

Jacol Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So what? I did not wrote that review, ask the author@tomshardware.

2. Scramble74

Scramble74 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got my GE63 with 2080 and have been fiddling it for a few hours. I opted for smaller variant because my last gaming laptop was a brick. But since GE63 doesn't have it's own area I thought to ask here. Also I'm utter novice in hardware stuff.

I noted that when gaming (AC: Odyssey) temperatures go to over 90 when I start the game (spiking at 95c at worst according to Core Temp). Then cpu cools off a bit and settles around 88-90c. Fans were too loud for me without headphones. I don't know much about voltages etc. or undervolting. I however saw that the CPU was constantly over it's base 2.2Ghz frequency (at around 3.5Ghz I guess), even when idle.

From BIOS I noticed Intel Speedstep (or was it speedshift, can't remember now that I'm out of the BIOS) was on. Turning it off reduced the core frequency to base 2.2Ghz and temperatures while gaming stayed at around 70c-75c even in 4k and I didn't notice any kind of drop in frame rate with my wooden eyes (and Steam fps counter). Do you guys keep it off or on?

Is there a reason to use Speedstep in gaming or otherwise (ie. am I crippling my new laptop and bottlenecking my GPU)?

3. Xeonorth

Xeonorth Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'm not asking anyone. I'm just pointing it out as I've found it as a weird error on the review.

4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Well you got it on the last part. AC Odeyssey is very demanding and not the norm, but if performance is acceptable to you, keep it as is. Some games benefit more from high core frequency (even if usage is not as high) to boost framerate up. So depending on the game, you will need more speed to keep or exceed 60fps.

Dannemand and Scramble74 like this.
  5. ryzeki

Reputations:
    It is recommended to use proper thermal pads instead of paste, so when you have the chance, you should definitely change it. But before that, thickness should be found out... hmmm it's either 0.5mm or 1mm, but honestly I don't know. Hopefully someone else could give us a hint.

Dannemand likes this.
  6. bryneb

bryneb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    This is what mine looked like. I cleaned it all up. I put thermal paste (ArcticMX-4) on all the parts they had it on and tested to make sure there was contact with the heatsink and then cleaned up again and then readjusted the amounts to make sure everything was covered

Max now is 83C when benchmarking, usually games are max 79C

If I knew what size to use for everything but the cpu and gpu I would have gone with fujipoly pads. I'll look into it more next spring when I do the annual repaste.

Attached Files:

ryzeki likes this.
  7. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Yeah I am going to need to know the size as well before I repaste mine. I have pads and paste but I don't want to put the wrong size.

8. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Your going with the GE75 afterall?

9. ryzeki

Reputations:
    Nah, I am still set on the Gs75. But there are no limits to how much I want to tweak things. If I had the Ge75 I would be tweaking it to be like a GT75. With my GT73 I tweaked it until I almost made my CPU explode.

It's my curiosity :) But obviously I only do it for benches, and then I tweak it down for actual usage. I like having good sustained performance at acceptable temps.

But if the GS75 does not convince me, then I might either go GE75, or next time I upgrade (prolly in a couple of years or at least a CPU+GPU gen upgrade) will consider it.

What I think is that GT will become niche, and the GE will be the new gaming king series. I just hope they don't kill off the GT series, but market trends are evil and want everything to be as thing as possible. At this rate, the next gen GS series will be two sheets of paper ductaped together.

10. Lunatik

Lunatik Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    From the Time Spy scores I've seen floating around my GE75 already beats the GT75, until someone who knows what they are doing gets a hold of one lol. GS75, oof...MAXQ is doodoo.