*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Nov 12, 2018.

1. dmaker

dmaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.

I have a CMIII as well, but only use it when gaming too. I'd use it when working, but that added height while on a desk makes it uncomfortable for typing. I find the CMIII fans to slightly less loud than the laptop fans. Very marginally so, and may just be my imagination, but it could, at least, perhaps extend the life of some of the components in the laptop by running the fans in a relatively cheap cooling pad vs the internals of an expensive laptop. Does that make sense?

2. Quokka

Quokka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I use a separate keyboard, so my laptop sits on the stand the whole time. And I get your point, although for general usage, even using the fan in the cooling stand is not really going to stop the laptop fans from spinning up at all, as on light usage the fan from the cooling stand is only going to make a few degrees difference to the laptop temp. It helps a lot more under gaming loads though. Its also good at cooling the Samsung 970 EVO SSD I put it, which can get a bit toasty as well.

3. dmaker

dmaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I have a Samsung 970 EVO to put in as well. It's in my old Dominator now, so I would be happy to swap between the two. I unscrewed all the screws, but damn, that is one tough rear panel to remove. I didn't have the heart to start stabbing at my brand new laptop with a guitar pick on the first day that I bought it. So I kind of shelved that idea for now.

I might even pick up another nvme gen3 for it. Those are not that expensive and way faster than a 2.5" SSD.

I just have to build up the gumption to get into the case.

Side note: I am not thrilled with the placement of the ports on this laptop. HDMI on the side is not great for using on a desk. I have a secondary monitor, so the HDMI snakes along the top of my desk while working leaving less space for pen, paper, coffee mug, etc. And the power also being on the side is pretty annoying. I never really thought about it as my Dominator has the ports on the back, so it was something I just sort of took for granted.

I found the ethernet port to be odd. I can't get an ethernet cable to snap in place. Maybe I need to try a couple of different ones. Not a big deal, as the wifi is plenty fast. Getting about 600 Mbps with it on my LAN. It could just be that newer devices have slightly different RJ-45 than what my patch cables were designed for. My Nvidia Shield TV is the same. I can't get an ethernet cable to snap in place in there either.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2020
  4. Quokka

Reputations:
    I actually did not even need to remove the little back plate to get my case cover off. Just worked around the sides of the main cover with a plastic tool, including where the main cover joins the piece at the back, and it came off ok in the end.

my network port the cable clicks in just fine, so maybe it’s your cable?

5. dmaker

dmaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Would you happen to have any comment on my power supply question? Trying to see if it's safe to re-use my last MSI gaming laptop power supply with this new one:

GT72S brick:
    AC INPUT 100-240 V`4 A 50-60 Hz
    DC OUTPUT 20V 14A 280W

GE75 brick:
    INPUT 110-240 VAC 50/60Hz 2.4A Max
    OUTPUT 19.5 11.8A

6. Quokka

Reputations:
    Hmm well I'm not an expert, but given that the output voltages and amps are different, I would not risk it. Especially as the output from the GT72S brick is higher than for the GE75. Then again maybe others here more knowledgeable than me can be more specific.

dmaker likes this.
  7. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    If the plug fits it should be OK. A half Volt difference is nothing and the EC circuit doesn't allow more Amps input that specced.

8. dmaker

dmaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Another question, do people update their MSI laptops? With my previous one, I found Windows Updates often to be a source of problems. My back lit keyboard would fail to work after updates so often that I just gave up on trying to make it work consistently.

I have yet to run a single search for updates on this new one, and I'm a bit hesitant to do any at all.

9. blacklupus

blacklupus Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    My keyboard lights failed a couple months ago but it had nothing to do with any Windows Update at that time. (As far as I could tell.) My guess is the RGB controller on the board failed due to high temperature under idle. 70+ degrees with custom fan curve in Silent Option Fan Control.

I'm probably wrong and it might be a software issue. But I wouldn't advice to put off Windows Updates since you'll be vulnerable to any script kiddie with access to the newest security exploit.

I always used Windows or Intel Updates for drivers and never had a problem. Using newest Nvidia Drivers from Geforce Experience, not the MSI ones. Works fine.

Only other thing giving me issues is the combination of Nahimic and Battlefield V sound. Often times the sound would fail ingame, so had to turn the sound off. Or deinstall Nahimic, which is not suitable. (Common problem with the Nahimic Drivers. Not related to Windows Updates.)

Last edited: Nov 26, 2020
  10. dmaker

dmaker Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had nothing but constant issues with the Steelseries lighting on the keyboard for the last year or so. Every time Windows would update, the lighting would turn off. What used to work was re-installing Steelseries 3, then going into the install folder and highlighting all the .inf files and then right click and choose Install. After the last few Windows updates, even that fix stopped working.