*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. xkluah

xkluah Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks for your honest opinions guys appreciate it, guess i will wait for the next version of the raider. Hopefully it gets a chasis refresh like the GE66 as well.Hope to join the community in time

2. Vincent Van Goku

Vincent Van Goku Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all, I've sorta tabbed through here for a little bit and saw that a lot of people were able to bring down their outrageous CPU temps through a combination of undervolting and repasting. Thought I'd take a shot at it and had... interesting results.

Did anyone experience a drastic increase in their GPU temps along the way?

Manged to go from:

All values under intense load are after about 20-30mins. Used DOOM Eternal to give it a relatively fair but demanding real life application.

Pre-Undervolt and Pre-Repaste:

55C on CPU idle
    50 on GPU idle

95+C on CPU under load
    75C on GPU under load

Post-Undervolt, Pre-Repaste

57C on CPU idle (speed step to constant 3.6GHz but -145mv on the core and ~130mv on everything else, somewhat expected)
    50C on the GPU idle

87C-92C on CPU under load (depending on ambient air temps, Michigan's been fluctuating a lot over the last few days)
    73-75C on GPU under load(same thing)

Post-Undervolt, Post-Repaste

50C on CPU idle
    45C on GPU idle

80C on CPU with CPU Burner. This was what I wanted all along!
    78-85C on GPU with any real stress almost instantly (went so far as to do an OC tuner and it started throwing a fit). I don't want this at all :(

From other reading I've done, I think I may have used too little paste on the GPU because it's under different tension than the CPU is or I maybe didn't use a thick enough paste. I wanted to hear other's experiences/opinions before tearing this thing down again because boy is it a pain and I regret ever taking the heatsink off.
    • Replaced the thermal gum on the GPU VRM with K5 Pro
    • Used Kyronaut for both the CPU and GPU.
      • CPU got a small grain of rice. I believe temps reflect good application
      • GPU got a thin, long line.
        • Also read that this is too thin a paste for the GPUs because of the mounting pressure differences. Kyronaut notoriously does poorly under low pressure situations.
        • Given the temps, I think I either didn't apply enough or didn't use the right technique. I think we're supposed to use a star or actually spread it manually due to the low pressure.
    • Replaced the thermal pads on the CPU with K5 Pro after discovering I didn't get the right thickness/amount of thermal pads (got 0.5mm thinking I'd need 1.0mm in some places and 0.5 in others. Needed 1-1.5mm).
      • Got everything screwed back in too before realizing...

tl;dr did anyone get higher GPU temps after repasting with lower CPU temps? How did you resolve it? Is it possible that too much K5 Pro is insulating the processor/preventing the pipes from effectively reaching the die?

Also, do you really need to remove and reapply thermal gum every time?

3. DimitriosMSI

DimitriosMSI Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Welcome to the club.
    First of all it will be helpful if you post yr model (CPU/GPU).
    Second I'd like to know yr throttlestop settings (screenshots) and/or any bios tweaks that you did.

The way I see, it is tt you have a bit high temps on idle, probably because you changed some BIOS (Energy Efficient Turbo?) settings or something in throttlestop (Speedshift or C1E).
    Your idle temps should be at high 30s C or low 40s in CPU and GPU.

K5 pro is the best solution for VRAMs as repeatedly reported by lot of users and it is suggested to be replaced on every repaste and just put as much as needed (no more, no less)
    Grizzly Kryo is not working so good (my personnal opinion) due to its low viscocity. You should try a more "thicker" paste.
    Why?
    because of the following reasons
    1. Our laptops' heatsink pressure is not so strong and some times produce uneven pressure to the cpu
    2. Kryo is excellent performed for a few months and after its performance is weaken, especially if you are working yr laptop close or more than 80s C due to the "pump out effect" .

4. Ulukai

Ulukai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I had bad GPU temps for my first repaste but it was due to thermal pads on the VRAM insteds of paste. After another repaste it went well with K5 pro, so I guess, it could be a bad repaste on your side.... try again ;)
    I agree with Dimitrios, kryo is the best for short time, I repasted mine 1 month ago and my temps already gain 3° while gaming, I'll try noctua NT-H1 next time

Anyone put K5 pro on the CPU VRM ? I still have the stock pads, but if I remove them, maybe the contact between CPU and Heatsink will be better ? More pressure ?

5. DimitriosMSI

Reputations:
    Suggest u not to use NT-H1 cause I had bad experience due to its viscosity too. Try the newest fm Noctua NT-H2 which is slightly better.

6. Ulukai

Ulukai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Arf, just got it this morning :rolleyes:, well..... I'll try the H2 next - next time ;)

DimitriosMSI likes this.
  7. greninga

greninga Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I using k5 pro on cpu vrms.well if for something I am sure ,this is we need stop benchmarks and stress tests our laptops avx2 and and and..we destroy the thermal paste for no reason. I am using now about a week the new noctua h2 and I just did some throttlestop benchmarks some time and nothing else.amd my temps it's very good.
    Never again stress tests with no reason

Ulukai and DimitriosMSI like this.
  8. Ulukai

Ulukai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think that's the best advice on this subject, once the setup is stable / Checked.... stop testing and go playing !!!

9. Vincent Van Goku

Vincent Van Goku Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you all for your responses. I’ll be able to send screencaps when I’m back on the laptop itself!

Definitely should’ve given a model to y’all. It’s a GE75 9SG W/ the i7-9750H and 2080.

Important ThrottleStop settings are:

• -140mv core
    • -120mv cache
    • -120mv GPU and GPU Unslice
    • Clock multiplier set to 37 on 1-3 cores in use and 36 for 4-6.
    • No ICC Tweaks because I did the IMON Slope tweak in the BIOS.
    • Core effectively runs at 3.6GHz *always* as a result.

So I think you’re right about the idle temps Dimitros, I have speedshift at 0 (so it constantly boosts) and did the IMON Slope BIOS tweak as well (so it doesn’t go down to 55W on the CPU the moment it power throttles). I managed to get the idle temps you suggested with throttlestop off, so I suspect that’s what’s up and that was my bad, thank you :)

As far as repasting the laptop goes, it sounds like I’ll be doing that again (reluctantly) because of the Kyronaut on the GPU. So upset that it idles okay but smacks thermal throttle within moments.

Do you/others recommend Noctua H2 or any other thermal paste for the CPU and GPU? Do you recommend using two different pastes, one for CPU and one for GPU since they appear to have different mounting tensions?

I was going to try MX-4 since I have that lying around but I don’t how much better that would perform vs. the Kyronaut for the GPU. I’ll also have to watch some more videos to see the appropriate amount of K5 pro to put down on the VRMs and VRAM.

Ulukai, I put K5 Pro on my CPU VRMS and got the temps described above as a result. Even with the GPU all funny, I saw worthwhile improvement. I suspect they’ll decrease further as I decrease the GPU temps. Had to slab it on thick to get it to the same height as the pads.

Thank you all in advance! I’ve been lurking through this post for a few months now after I bought the GE75 8SF (i7-8750H, 2070) and disastrously tried to replace the thermal gum with not K5 Pro (tried normal thermal paste. Pretty sure there’s a hole in one of the VRAM chips now. The GPU isn’t recognized in the BIOS nor any OS. Sending it back to MSI because I’m hopeful that a board through them is cheaper than a board through eBay. I’m surprised the CPU is okay.)

10. DimitriosMSI

Reputations:
    There is an unwritten rule tt the core offset should be same as the cache, So advice you to make cache -140 and see the results.
    Another thing is tt you underclocked cpu too much with out reason. Your clock multipliers are ideal for me in gaming only and I'm having an 8th gen cpu (8750H).
    Regarding the speedshift, only on benchmarks you should leave it at 0. For normal life / use you can make it half (127) on power and full (255) on battery profile. But in order the windows to follow the speedshift settings you can do the trick in the following page and leave the C1E checked.
    Chapter 4: Make the way the Speed Shift to work as it should be
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...trol-of-the-i7-8750h-advanced-version.823065/

Regarding the paste, I have very bad experience with MX-4 (sure not for GPU at all) and Noctua NT-H1. Both pastes are good on pcs but not ideal for our laptops. Advise you to use a more stiff paste.
    Some suggest IC Diamond and some others the CM mastergel pro. I personally use the Noctua NT-H2 which is very good but I try to avoid reaching very high temperatures (more than 80s). With my setup I play the most demanding game with GPU max at 70s and CPU max at 65s. This way I avoid or reduce the possibility of the "pump out" effect and the paste stays longer on its place.
    Hope tt I help you.

Vincent Van Goku and greninga like this.