*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    is this both for CPU and GPU?

2. greninga

greninga Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yes

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. Ninecry

Ninecry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone updated their bios and ec firmware?
    Currently still on stock firmware using the 2080 version. Thinking of updating them.

How does it run? Is it stable or does it have any impact on games?

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

4. haleskinn

haleskinn Newbie

Reputations:
    does anyone know how to raise power limit on the ge75 8se rtx 2060? i have repasted it and when gaming i get 2060mhz on core clock when gaming and temps are hovering around 70c but i am looking to get them down with lm but i want to know how to raise the voltage because it says that i am hitting voltage limit on the card

5. Action123

Action123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you have the 8SG and still on the stock bios, you will want to upgrade your bios and firmware. Just follow the instructions completely including clearing the EC using the button on the MB accessed via the bottom of your laptop using a paper clip. You will see a performance boost from the stock bios since the stock bios was not allowing the CPU to stay in boost as long as later bios revisions. I have both the latest bios and firmware and it runs stable and fine as just as fast as some of the earlier bios revisions if not slightly more performance.

Please note; I have not done any other upgrades including faster ram, repasted, etc. The only thing I use is throttlestop to undervolt the CPU/cache. So if you have added faster ram or anything, I can not be sure how the new bios and firmware will affect that.

Kevin@GenTechPC and Ninecry like this.
  6. Ninecry

Ninecry Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    A very detailed explanations, thank you

I have the 9SG version, so is it best to update my firmware?
    I've done the repasting using TG Kryonout, getting good temps while playing Witcher 3, RDR2 and other games that are quite heavy (all maxed out) never gotten the GPU past 75°C and CPU maxed out at 85°C with this notebook and I'm happy with it.

But for the dragon center latest update have disabled my notebook's "Battery Master Control" Settings where you could set the battery charge level to 60% maxed. That's why I'm thinking of updating my bios and ec firmware (but scared that it will have a negative impact on my gaming experience).

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Last edited: Jan 21, 2020
  7. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I had my battery "stuck" at 80% when I wanted to lower and raise it when needed but couldn't because the dragon center battery options no longer worked. I believe this is the thing I found that worked for me, let me know if it doesn't work for you and I can double check if this was the exact service I enabled as I am not at my MSI machine now and can't double check it:

The issue was that the Micro Star SCM service was disabled, which prevented the battery calibration, and presumably other Dragon features, from working. To fix this issue, simply go to your Microsoft services (type in services in search bar), then set Micro Star SCM to manual, then click apply to keep the change. Remember to start the service or else it will not work.

It appears that windows update periodically disable MSI services, so this issue may pop up from time to time. The solution should be the same.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2020
    Kevin@GenTechPC and Ninecry like this.
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Did you use any kind of utility to cap the battery charge level at 80%?

9. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just the dragon center app, which is working again after enabling that service. I lowered it to the lowest setting now since I rarely use it on battery.

10. MrBeer

MrBeer Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can we use dragon center and thermal stop at the same time. I thought there was a problem if you use them together.