*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Ulukai

Ulukai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm wondering, would there be any use to put in contact the mesh and the cooling pipes ? Like on the desktop CPU cooler.
    With some thermal pads or someting else ? In this configuration, it would be beneficial to have the thickiest mesh ?

Or is there any risk of "electrical short circuit" ?

2. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    It should not, but there may not be benefits.

Ulukai likes this.
  3. Ulukai

Ulukai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm back after repaste, took me 4 hours :confused:. Don't take this post for "here's what you have to do", it's my first repaste on a laptop (last repaste was in 2008 for my intel q6600 !)

I didn't take photos for the teardown but just unplug the AC& battery (1 screw) , the 2 fans & 1 big nap with black tap near the GPU fan.
    Take off the screws (I did from N°11 to N°1, hope it was the right order?), the stock paste make the cooling system "hard" to remove, just try to pull with small rotation (I don't recommend to pull by the fans in order to prevent copper pipe from bending)

And here you are:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The professionnal tools.... :p

[​IMG]

After cleaning:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

THE FOLLOWING PADS ARE WRONG, DON'T DO THIS

I used thermal grizzly kryonaut & minus pad 8 (120 x 20 x 0.5mm). I didn't replace the pink ones on the CPU cause it seems to be thicker (1mm maybe) and hadn't enough to cover it.
    NB: One of the pink is on the cooling system, it started to tear when I tried to pull it off...

[​IMG]

I don't know if the paste spread is ideal but here are the résults :
    I used cooling boost with 2x Throttlestop 1024M bench (around 3min 100% CPU test at 3800MHz), temps are "lowest core - max core" , NC for noteboock cooling pad:

Stock paste Repaste

Origin cover: - on desk 84 - 96 (Prochot 95°) 73 - 77
    - NC off 79 - 96 67 - 71
    - NC on 79 - 94 67 - 70

Custom cover: - on desk 82 - 96 (Prochot 95°) 71 - 76
    - NC off 78 - 94 66 - 70
    - NC on 77 - 93 64 - 68

Damn, that's more than I hoped ! Or did I damage the thermal probe ?!?!
    I had more than 19° difference between cores, and now 5° max, seems good to you ?

I Tested CPU at x40 and temps were 70 - 74 ! (with ring +125 and RAM @ 3400)
    Cinebench R20 3087 , fan on "auto" --> 81 - 87 ° , 70 - 74 with custom silent option profile and 64 - 72 with cooler boost.

Now for the GPU part, I haven't played yet but 3D mark gives me 8002 / GPU 8188 / CPU 7092 , with 71° for CPU, and 79 for GPU (I never had more than 70° before so i messed up somewhere) and the graphic score is lower, does the CPU takes all the power ?

Don't hesitate to give me advices if something feels wrong to you, but for now.... TIME TO PLAY !!!!!!!

Last edited: Jan 3, 2020
    thefatapple and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  4. Ulukai

Ulukai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    It not possible as the pipes are not on the same level and the CPU screws are higher so... too much brainstorming for me ;)

5. senso

senso Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The stock "thermal pads" are paste so you end up lifting the heatsink a bit from the GPU die because you removed the thermal goop and replaced it with 0.5mm thick pads, you can see that at least in the VRAM chips the gap was in the 0.1mm range, better to have used K5 Pro than thermal pads, would net you even better results.

Ulukai and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nicely done, this was still a profit.

7. greninga

greninga Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Do it again.first u need a gun hair from far! And not shooting to one place ,just move it for some minutes and the pipes will remove easy.
    Thermal pads 0,5 dont work with pipes.u will see if u open it,u can move the thermal pads.thats mean the pipes dont touch the thermal pads..I have repaste my ge75 3 times.just for test.the one worked best was to spread kryo with kryo tool to all thinks. Cover cpu gpu with thin surface with kryo tool.vrams also with kryo paste.like stock. U need about 2grs kryo
    U did great job to cpu but that pads dont work.

Edit: dont play nothing.u dont see temps at vrams and I thing it's very high.u see temp only to gpu.and that vrams tranfer +10 c to ur gpu from before.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2020
    Kevin@GenTechPC and Ulukai like this.
  8. thefatapple

thefatapple Notebook Geek

Reputations:

what are those pink pads? 0.5mm fujipoly?

9. Ulukai

Ulukai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If i'm not wrong, he Vram doesn't risk anything as they are in contact with the pads, It's the GPU that's too "far" from the heatsink ?

10. Ulukai

Ulukai Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I remember reading on this thread that MSI receommend to use 0.5mm pads, if not for the gpu, where is it ?

On this photo, every color represents a different height, but I guess the heatsink is design to apply everywhere with the same pressure ?
    Or do you recommend pads / paste on those colors ?

[​IMG]