*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can someone check if the VRM is getting cooled on the GE75?
    Jesus I want the A51m so much but the burning 2080 issue is so scary. They are -15% today though and are much less noisy than GE75, according to reviews.

@greninga,
    What are your clocks in games? Do you have MSI Afterburner and RTSS running to see it real time?

2. greninga

greninga Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    At that games I have cpu 3,7 3,8 stable and gpu around 1900mhz. Just I see my gpu usage go high (90%+)at ultra settings or scale resolution 120-150.if scale is 100 and medium or ultra settings the gpu usage go lower about 70% and the frames stay same as 150 scale resolution.

How I can check vrm temps? Hwinfo dont show my vrms.

3. masterdarkside

masterdarkside Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If u still wanna, I have it backup (in rar and everything)

I can send u or upload to download if u wanna

cloudpm likes this.
  4. martin778

Reputations:
    I've done another repaste, now with Kryonaut and it looks like that crazy 20*c delta is gone, however HWInfo64 is 'strange' in terms of temperature reporting, it shows 3 cores sometimes peaking to 95*c for a brief second, Throttlestop doesn't show this.

I was stupid the first time and didn't follow the numbers on which screw to turn first. When I now removed the heatsink I noticed the TIM was pushed to one side on both the CPU and GPU.

However I think the GE75 is prone to 95*C+ temp peaks because the CPU has a 200W short PL by default...setting a hard cap at 40-50W removes the spikes.

How's this? With cpu and gpu UV:
    [​IMG]
    CPU UV but GPU at full OC, w. +750MHz on the memory:
    [​IMG]
    And my new record in Cinebench R15, 1314pts:
    [​IMG]

I have a Clevo 775TM1-G on order but I think I will cancel it and keep the MSI when I see this...somehow I doubt it will match this MSI.
    If I could squeeze another 20-30W TDP...that thing would fly.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2019 at 4:07 PM
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. cloudpm

cloudpm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thank you mate but I’ve managed to find them all from msi website :)

Updating to the new bios and ec firmware has got my laptop to get lower undervolts.

Even if I downgrade back to my old bios and ec firmware, I can’t reach my previous values as if the bios has memorized/saved into memory some new power limits...

Latest bios from November mentions « adjust vbios » in the log. After restarting, I got right away freezes forcing me to lower my undervolts. Has anybody else upgrade to the latest bios and EC firmware ?

Let’s find a solution. Thanks a lot

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 3:22 AM
  6. greninga

Reputations:
    I thing ur temps it's good for not underclock.even the clevo temps it's bad hit with uv 95c.

7. martin778

Reputations:
    I had the same Clevo on order but seeing what the GE75 does after a good repaste, I cancelled the Clevo straight away. Seriously, I now tried MasterGel Maker on the GPU now while playing GRID 2019 I dropped to 65-66*C GPU temp at 1680MHz with the fan maybe at 50%, at max. CPU is around 70-84*C @ 4GHz -145mV!
    This laptop is pure gaming bliss - light, mobile, packs a lot of punch and, believe it or not, it's quiet after a repaste. When web browsing or watching YT the fans simply turn off! :D
    So far only 3 complaints - too plasticky, touchpad is already worn after 3 weeks of usage(!) and my battery is at 7% wear according to Aida64, not really possible after 3 weeks and ~5-6 full power cycles.

The thing you have to watch out for is that pad thickness, I doubt 0.5mm is going to cut it on the GPU VRM, to me it looks like there is much more space. That's why I use K5 Pro even if it makes such a mess on the board (it's like a very sticky Play Doh) but at least its non conductive.

I found out that what you shouldn't ever do is use Aida64 stress test. It does something with AVX and it WILL always throttle 3 cores, the 0/3/6. If you use HWInfo64 for monitoring you will end up with everything in RED when looking at peak values making you think the laptop is throttling to oblivion while gaming temps will be perfect.
    MSI has extremely high power limit on the CPU (200W for 28s) so it will always shoot to like 70-80W first, throttle until the turbo runs out and the temperatures will then stabilize, however the visual damage has already been done by then, with everything shown in red in HWInfo.

I got my 32GB 3000 CL16 Ripjaws kit today/ The 3000C16 kit was €146 while the 3200C16 was €220...hell naw. They're all the same, Hynix C-Die stuff.
    Might be obvious for some but the 16GB kit runs 1T, the 32GB runs 2T as it's dual rank.
    Still, Area 51M can eat dirt in this regard :D
    [​IMG]

In the end I find it pretty insane that a 9750H laptop, without any UV applied. Runs at almost 100*C all core all the time when loaded, every single core at 90*C+.
    That said, this is at stock fan curve and no gpu load. You have to watch out on how people do their testing, with Cooler Boost I can push 54W and only hit 85*C peak temp but at stock fan curves it would be 95-97*C already.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 6:10 PM
  8. greninga

Reputations:
    Yea after repaste it's so quiet this is real.i am not expert and cant understand good this but limit tdp it's not 90w? We need up the limit or lower?the only STOCK laptop that I see at reviews with low temps its the helios 500.but only gtx 1070 there.
    Damn guys what build windows u use? I was on 1903 and I format it to 1809 and got huge boost on all games.and never one freeze or something bad.check video.i got this boost to all games.

Build 1903

Build 1809

With no rtx on before was max 160 170 frames and now 200 210.

9. martin778

Reputations:
    GE75 has 150W TDP on the RTX2080, and CPU whatever the cooling can take.

greninga likes this.
  10. greninga

Reputations:
    And there why say 45 and 90 short? The only red when I do a test its PL1 and the cpu w drop from 56w to 42w and clock from 3,9mhz drop to 3,6mhz what power limit it's this and what mean? I can remove it?

Last edited: Nov 11, 2019 at 7:17 PM