*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea, but just a heads up HDMI still goes through Intel and the DP goes directly to the Nvidia card which allows you to use g-sync and get less stuttering in some games + generally a little boost in gpu performance. ( For @ptgamer88 )

++ This might sound weird but getting a 2560x1440 monitor might be a better idea as in most scenarios the CPU is bottle-necking the frames on the 1080p panel, you will get same frames in a lot of scenarios if you go with 1440p.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  2. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I'm a bit reluctant with Kryonaut, I've used it a lot before and it has a strange behaviour of completely drying out within a few weeks/months, not entirely sure what it does with temps. Dow Corning toothpaste under Intel CPUs behaves similarly, when delidding a 7920X it was completely dry after like 2 months of usage.

Regarding the panel, I'd still opt for a higher refresh 1080p than 1440p 60Hz.
    That said I've been spoiled with high refresh rate screens for years already - pg279q, FX349FJEW, GK950F and now the latest PG349Q @ 120hz. I just can't stand 60Hz anymore for action gaming and racing.

Honestly I don't think a 9750h is bottlenecking a 2080 a lot when uncorked at let to run at ~4GHz but it needs proper cooling, that's the biggest challenge yet.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
    seanwee likes this.
  3. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That is weird, I have never faced that issue as I have finished a couple of those 11.1gm on my, friends and family laptops and desktops (Specially my desktop I didnt repaste for almost 2 years and when I finally did and cleaned it up it was still gooey not as fresh as it was but it was much better than the condition I used to find the MX-4 in.

Maybe you got a bad patch (Bad storage?)

My bad my point was not clear enough regarding the 1440p monitor, the 9750h is a bottleneck at very high frames (Specially in coreclock dependent games) as if you can test on a 1440p you will find that you are getting the same fps in a lot of scenarios.
    What I wanted to recommend is a 1440p 144hz monitor as you will still get the same performance with better quality

Last edited: Oct 27, 2019
  4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    My GS75 can handle it no problem so the GE75 should too. IF you use liquid metal.

With all cores at 4ghz and running prime 95 small fft + unigine heaven 4.0 extreme I max out at 88°C cpu and 82°C gpu at max fans

Running prime 95 only I max out at 82°C

5. martin778

Reputations:
    Yeah at stock it hits tjmax the second you hit "start" on any stress test, similar situation in games.
    I won't be going with LM because it alloys and needs reapplying.

6. Ocmersh

Ocmersh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hey would you mind sharing what model of samsung RAM you have at 3200? Thinking of upping the 2666 they shipped with it to 3200.

Nice temps btw. I get about 85c with the 8 core, but at about 3.6 ghz.

Whenever that happens on any chip that means the heat isnt getting to the heatsink properly. Are you going to repaste? I recommend kryonaut if your nervous about LM

7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just the stock OEM Samsung C die kit. 16gb x2

8. martin778

Reputations:
    Ah, it's C-Die then. I thought they were low bin B-Dies. The 3000 and 3200MHz Ripjaws are Hynix C-Die and I can confirm these work fine.
    i could tinker with the OEM sticks but didn't want the hassle, loaded 3000MHz XMP and it just works.

I will repaste my GE75 for sure but I'm still waiting for K5 PRO TiM for thermal pads. It's not that I'm reluctant with liquid metal, I just know that in the end it wil sc...w up the heatsinks anyway.

9. 95bat

95bat Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just picked up one of these at Costco online, looking forward to having a laptop again! My old MSI died after about 6 years and I never replaced it.

Any recommendations on setting up the laptop other than a good undervolt?

Costco build is:
    9750H / 2060
    512gb SSD + 1TB HD
    16gb ram
    Free 2 year warranty, plus 2 more years with Costco credit card
    $1400

Not a bad price for the 2060!

10. Ocmersh

Ocmersh Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thats a good pair. I'd unlock the cpu using the advanced bios and have it run at 4ghz all core, the thermal solution is the same for the 9880h, so with 2 fewer cores you should be able to ride 4 ghz all day. Lots of people have done it here. Should have pretty nice thermals and wattage room to breathe with a 2060, hopefully its a good overclock-er for you. Maybe someone else can answer here, I don't know what the wattage limit is on the 2060 variant. On the 2080 its 150 watts.