*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. trias10

trias10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Congrats mate! Did you end up going for liquid metal in the end?

2. RambisRegime

RambisRegime Newbie

Reputations:
    Recieved the Ge75 9sf-286 a few days ago and am very pleased. Borderlands 3 running on ultra and averaging 71C and max 81C on cpu.
    I am posting though because of the display. I am very pleased with it but i didn't get the ao display i thought; i recieved a cmn model and not the model cmn175c i have been seeing. Anyone have any extra info on this (Newer?) model cmn1760? i dont know how to post a pic but HWinfo says:
    Chi Mei (unknown model: Cm1760)
    name: N173hce-g33
    Date of Manufacture: week 12, Year 2019
    Color bit depth: 8 bit
    Gama factor: 2.2
    but you can see all of that in that web site down below, it's the same. It's just weird that the model number n173... is the same as the cmn175c, so this cmn1760 must just be a newer model?

website is the only source of web info i could find (i have no affiliation with this site).
    https://www.ultrabookreview.com/32595-msi-gs75-stealth-9sg-review/

but anyways, compared to my last laptop (alienware 15r3), this new display has much better contrast but the colors aren't as rich - not bad, just not as rich. But the colors do seem more accurate so maybe the lack of richness the alienware display was just wrong off the bat..

3. Valiran

Valiran Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Please guys, someone know exactly the thickness of thermal pads needed if we want to get rid with k5 or blue ****? :(

4. sush33king

sush33king Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    They might have applied some silicon coating over the "transistors" or what ever its called around the CPU and GPU. If theres a short, it would have happened from the looks of it... but it didnt...

5. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Maybe but it still not how it should be done. There should be zero LM leakage around the die.

By the way, I can advise anyone not to bother with raid0 NVMe's on this laptop (not that anyone should do it in the first place) The PCI-E M.2 lanes are shared from the PCH and are capped at ~3.23GB/s.

6. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's my problem with it, I thought me spending that 100$ will give me the ease of not reapplying thermal paste every now and then and the ease of not to risk effing up my new laptop .

Thank God I am comfortable in tinkering, opening and fixing my own machines with experience of over 10 years but imagine someone that got this laptop with that option with 0 knowledge in how to handle anything like this it's really a huge disaster.

And on the point of nvme raid I totally agree it's useless on 99% of the laptops.

7. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yeah, it seems like the GPU is eating the x16 CPU lanes and M.2's are getting the 'leftovers' from PCH. Somehow it feels like they're multiplexing the PCI-E lanes because single drives do get their advertised speeds but raid0 clearly seems capped when running ATTO benchmark, for example.

I'm handy with repasting hardware but yet it still feels wrong to tinker on a brand new laptop that almost €3000 here and ~€3600 with all upgrades I've done. Currently I have the CPU capped at 0.85V 2.6GHz in TS for everything except gaming, have a pot of K5 PRO on order and will just repaste everything with it and MasterGel Maker.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    That explains why my GS75 caps out at 3500 read and write even with raid. Never knew about this.

9. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    If it's 1080P, then HDMI will only output at 144Hz.

10. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thats why I always have 11.1grams tube of Kryonaut it will last for 10s of re-pastes.
    Gonna give LM one final try and see if I will be able to perfect it or else Kryonaut here I come.