*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Silverfeyn

Silverfeyn Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Hi guys,

I had the GE 75 Raider 8SG with the 8750H and the RTX2080. For some reason the graphic card died, and now they are giving me the full return . So I have now more or less 3000€ that I want to invest in a new laptop with full RTX 2080. With the problems I had with the temperatures and people here talking about the Throttle I'm now wondering if I should go for the Raider 9SG or maybe try another brand...but there are a few with full RTX2080.

Wondering even to look into the Acer Predator Helios 700, it's only 500 bucks more than the raider...but it's a big machine.

What do you guys think?

2. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The problem right now is that a lot of laptops have (In my opinion) a lot of problems its like they are doing it on purpose(Alienware making 60hz the stable in their laptops, MSI never adding a MUX switch acer having that huge thing )

I always loved Sager/Clevo chassis its not the highest quality but most of the time their high end ones have decent cooling and preform awesomely (based on experience 2010-2016)

And also eluktroboost sounds interesting if you want to look into that.

3. ptgamer88

ptgamer88 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello Guys!
    Well, I wanna use my external monitor for my MSI GE75 9SF.

What can I do to use full of my 165Hz panel on the Monitor?

HDMI will provide it? Or have I go to mini display port? (Can´t find in any store at a good price here Display Port) but again, would HDMI output more then 60Hz atleast?

Its a gaming monitor, one of the best!

EDIT: Well I don´t mind to play at 144Hz if it works with 1.4 HDMI :p

Last edited: Oct 24, 2019
  4. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just try HDMI and see what the highest refresh rate available is, otherwise you can grab a miniDP->DP adapter for cheap.

5. Action123

Action123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone try out the new "E17E2IMS.117" bios that came out yesterday?
    New BIOS : E17E2IMS.117
    ROM CheckSum : 0x3504
    Release Date : 2019.10.23

;--------------------------- Description ------------------------------------;

1. Update VBIOS.

What video bios is it updating Intel or nVida? I wonder if it corrects the lines in some shades of blue issue.

6. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    All it takes to tame the 9750H is good thermal paste. It's not that dramatic of an issue.

The age of quad cores is literally over. Even a hot 9750H smokes the quad cores you listed, my 6820HK running at 4Ghz included. Next year's consoles are laying quad cores to bed for the eternal sleep. It really doesn't run hotter than an overclocked 6820HK or 7820HK if they are on stock paste by the way. The 7700HQ is cool because it's weak.

Why not look at the GT76? How much is the 9700K/2080 SKU where you are?

seanwee likes this.
  7. martin778

Reputations:
    We will see, I will give MasterGel Maker a go and have ordered K5-PRO to replace the liquid thermal pads.
    So far I can only say the 3000MHz CL16 G.Skills work fine @ XMP speeds. All it takes is uncorking the BIOS with the key combination. No voltage tweaking whatsoever, don't panic because the first time the screen will go black and the laptop will shut down and restart after enabling XMP.

[​IMG][​IMG]

It really needs new TIM...even with -150mV core (~0.975V core) and all core limited to 3.6GHz it's throttling to oblivion, peaking in mid 90's. After the CPU fan goes to 100% speed the temps drop to mid 70-80's.

Build quality of the GE75 still bugs me like hell. I've seen it and I know for sure something is going to crack within a few months. The bottom plate is extremely bendy around the hard drive and overall it can be pushed in with ease so it touches the heatpipes not to mention all screw fittings are molded into cone-shaped plastic.
    I've went through this with the GX740 that ended up with 4 bolts drilled through the lids when the hinges simply broke off when opening the laptop, looked pretty hilarious though.

+
    I flashed the new VBIOS and have a feely feel of feeling it cuts down on TDP even harder. I can't match my old Time Spy score, even though my Physics Score is now higher due to faster RAM.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2019
    seanwee likes this.
  8. Hosom

Hosom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Here i am! Finally the big beast is here... MSI GE75 Raider-655, RTX 2080, Core i9.

I have a few questions for you old date owners:

(I have a killer wifi card)

1) Do i need the Killer Control Panel software? The one that let you set UL and DL speed limits and enable game optimization? Can i keep it turned off?
    2) I was using MSI Driver & App Center to update/download drivers. It made me install a software called Intel PRO Set Wireless software. Is it fine? Are drivers for the wifi card already installed? Which one is the right one?
    3) Is there any preferred way to download drivers and updates on this machine? First time with MSI.

4) Very important question... what about MSI Dragon center? I don't like it, but is it needed? What happens if you remove it? Is battery still optimized? How are voltages/frequencies regulated if i remove it?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2019
  9. martin778

Reputations:
    Having had MSI motherboards and now the GE, Dragon Center etc. all go straight tho the garbage bin. When I get my laptop I wipe the drive fully, don't trust these OEM data mining OS installs.

By the way, is someone here running raid0 NVMe? I'm getting rubbish results with dual XPG 8200PRO's, like 3200 read / 3000 write which is pretty much the same as a single drive.

10. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hey man, congrats on that beast and I hope you have a smoother sail.

1) No never installed it never used it and noticed better stability after changing the driver to the Intel driver from Device manager.

2)It is was useful in 2012 when I had my old sager NP8180 but with windows 10 I dont think it can offer anything extra just uninstall it.

3)Best way is getting each driver individually (Intel site + Nvidia site for gpu, wireless use the intel driver from device manager, Audio I am using a hacked dolby driver I got from @seanwee ...ETC)

4)I dont have MSI dragon center nor steel series software, There is lite program that was shared over here for fan control that was called silent option or something and remember that MSI center will interfere with afterburner's clocks, CPU will work normally after a lot of tests it proved useless for performance and for me personally had 0 value as I didn't need anything from it.