*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Nov 12, 2018.

1. sush33king

sush33king Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Dragon Center not working after recent windows update. Can't seem to get it to run. Tried installing the latest version but the installer failed to execute. Event Viewer logged the error as "Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\d3d9.dll".

Anyone having the same problem?

Any help will greatly be appreciated.

2. sush33king

Reputations:
    I have a GE75 9SE. It's a Chi Mei on my unit. 17 inch 144hz

upload_2019-10-9_14-24-36.png

nobilitas likes this.
  3. low9

low9 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I think you find Chi Mei or AUO.

In my case, I have a 9SG (9750h) whit AUO.

It's a big downgrade compare to my previous chi mei screen

nobilitas likes this.
  4. sush33king

Reputations:
    Found the soln, close rivatuner and all works well.

5. nobilitas

nobilitas Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for your help. I hope to have a Chi mei.

I would like to know level robustness, the msi are how? They are fragile. Those who have it for more than 6 months. Do you find it robust?

Are you satisfied with the computer?

6. trias10

trias10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    So I was all set to purchase a GE75 this week, but then read the news that Nvidia Ampere for gaming will definitely be released in the first half of 2020. With 2020 now so close, am wondering if it's not more prudent to just wait for Ampere at this point?

Thing is, the 2080 which is currently in the GE75 is already overkill for 1920x1080p gaming, and is not the thermal bottleneck to the system, the bottleneck is actually the CPU which hits power limits long before the GPU. Assuming you only ever play games on the native panel at 1080p, I'm wondering if waiting for a GE75 with RTX 3080 would bring substantial benefits? Some benefits, yes, like better RTX performance, but you won't realise the full benefits of the raster performance increase if you only ever game at 1920x1080p.

To give an example, if you use Notebookcheck's mobile GPU games benchmark comparison, and look at the 1070 (laptop) compared to 2080 (laptop), you'll see the average fps gain at 1080p-ultra is around 30-50% improvement, but at 4k-ultra it is 100% average improvement. The delta between a 2080 and 3080 might be quite similar, such that you're not capturing that linear performance upgrade if you're gaming only at 1080p.

Quite a difficult decision to make.

7. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    High refresh rate gaming is a thing. That and hopefully we'll finally get 1440p screens as a standard. Or high refresh 4k oleds.

8. trias10

Reputations:
    Yeah, I guess waiting is the better option, especially since Ampere seems to be the real deal in terms of generational performance increase since there's a substantial node shrink. The other downside is, Intel Ice Lake H series chips, or whatever the next H series will be which is NOT 14nm, isn't coming until 2021, so even if Ampere mobile cards hit the market in 2H 2020, you're not going to want to pair them with 14nm CPUs, so then you're better off waiting until 1H 2021 for a proper next-gen laptop.

Spending $4000 today on the very EOL of 14nm CPU and Turing, which was really Pascal+, just kind of hurts, because you know when Ampere drops it will be something really special and you're going to feel pretty miserable having shelled out so much for a 2080 laptop just 9 months before. If Ampere was still 2 years away, then buying today would be easier, but it's just 6-9 months away.

9. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    It really depends on how satisfied you are currently with your existing setup.

I had a budget laptop for on the go and a desktop for gaming which isn't ideal since I move around quite a bit. Getting the GS75 was a humongous step up for me.

If I had gotten a midrange-ish laptop I'd probably still be using that and waiting for ampere.

10. trias10

Reputations:

I'm in a sort of similar situation, I currently have a Clevo P650RS which is my sole personal laptop and is still reliable and plays games well. However, I have another laptop for work, an ASUS ROG GU501, which has a better keyboard and an 8750H, compared to the ageing 6820HK in the Clevo. Both laptops are 15.6" but with old school wide bezels. When I travel (which is often), I have to take both laptops, which is annoying as hell. Two laptops and two sizeable power bricks in carry-on.

I was thinking of buying the GE75 to essentially combine both laptops into one, keeping the 15.6" form factor but going up to a 17.3" screen. The GE75 would be an ideal laptop to have for both work and personal, and the nature of my work makes use of the GPU, so having a better GPU for both gaming and work would also be good. (The 2080 does mixed precision fp16, whereas the 1070 does not)

Only problem is the cost. For the 9880H GE75, plus some SSDs, you're looking at $4k. That's an awful lot of money to spend now, when Ampere comes out in 6-9 months. That's the real hangup I have. If it was cheaper, say $2.5k, then I would just do it, keep it for 2 years, then upgrade to Ampere + Ice Lake H. But $4k is a really bitter pill to swallow for then upgrading again in 2 years. For $4k, you're kind of obligated to keep it for at least 4 years I feel.

seanwee likes this.