*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Acop

Acop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    lol we have the same headset, yes way better performance on headphones but volume on speakers is way too low, i even got the dolby name to appear on device manager doing a clean install of the sound drivers but still it wont work for the speakers, so best is still 8684 without realtek audio console. headphones performance isnt too bad on it tho.

really cant replicate the sound quality and volume when i 1st got it

awsan likes this.
  2. trias10

trias10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Apologies if this was answered earlier, but what has been the general consensus of this thread regarding the GE75 in terms of 9880H vs 9750H? I cannot find any legitimate reviews online of the 9750 variant, only 8750 and 9880.

Aside from the two extra cores, you technically get better single core performance as well, since core 0 can boost up to 4.8 GHz in the 9880 vs 4.5 in the 9750. So this would seem to indicate that the 9880 is still better even if you're using it primarily for gaming, not to mention games which utilise all the cores (Ubisoft games), but is it so much better so as to warrant an extra $700? From what I could gather from Notebookcheck's review of the GE75 9SG, the 9880H is ~10% FPS better in most games.

Have there been any direct comparisons in this thread between the two? Any general consensus as to whether it's worth that extra $700 premium for the 9880H? I'm talking purely from a gaming perspective, not content creation or encoding or cinebench.

3. Valiran

Valiran Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I think it’s not worth the extra cost. There a thermal factor and the 9880 is going to be more limited by thermals :(
    But you are totally right, an answer from a guy who own a 9880 is better :)

EDIT: does anybody can share the thermal pads configuration? Where to put differente height of thermal pads :)

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
  4. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I don't think its worth it at all what I would recommend is getting an external G-Sync monitor with something like 2560x1440 144hz for the difference which will give you a better gaming experience specially that you are using the DP and skipping the Intel GPU overhead.

Just my 2 cents

5. trias10

Reputations:
    This is quite a contentious issue for me and why I'm still dithering on this laptop despite wanting so badly to buy it since March 2019. I love G-Sync, I think it's the best thing ever. But having an external monitor, to me, negates the entire concept of a gaming laptop, there's no point to buying a gaming laptop then, just buy a desktop. Because you can't take that monitor with you. And if you're sedentary often enough with your gaming laptop to be using an external monitor, then just get a desktop and thus have an even more powerful CPU + GPU. Do you really need a gaming laptop if you're at home sitting at a desk so often that you can use an external monitor?

This is a bit of rant, but I really don't understand why so many brands have ditched G-Sync for 2019, even though the technology for a MUX switch exists and it's pretty easy and cheap to implement. Why on earth does the GE75 not have it? Or even the new GT76 when the older GT75 did have it? It just boggles my mind. Meanwhile a few Clevo and ASUS laptops have it, but not all. It's so frustrating being a laptop buyer in 2019. I would pay MSI $5k for a GE75 with G-Sync, I have no idea why they won't release one.

The only alternative to the GE75 for G-Sync lovers it the new HP Omen 17 cb0002na, but it sadly is much larger: it's a full inch wider (Y axis), and half an inch longer (X axis), so it's no longer a 15.6" form factor like the GE75. But it does have G-Sync and TB3 and it's the same thickness (Z axis). It's identical in X and Y dimensions as the old Alienware m9750 if you remember that one.

The GE75 is an architectural wonder, it's the same size as my Clevo P650RS (a 15.6" laptop), but with a full 17.3" screen and a 2080. Not to mention unlockable BIOS with all the tweaks you could ask for. And yet it lacks G-Sync which is like a dagger to the heart. Who are these people who actually prefer Optimus (with all its various issues working with legacy games and enb injectors) to G-Sync? Are people seriously doing 3D gaming on battery? I've been buying gaming laptops since 2006 and I've never once used battery power for anything other than to send some quick emails. As far I'm concerned, that battery in a gaming laptop is really just a UPS.

6. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I have to agree with every point you have mentioned specially the frustrating MUX bull... that these manufacturers are pulling off, what the hell are they even thinking about it can't be greed when the 5k gt76 doesn't even have it......

And my point was that the benefits of the 9980h are just "nearly" none existent in gaming and the 700 is just better spent off in something else (My example) or literally any other upgrade.

And one more point, Me and many others use our laptops as desktop replacement and as I travel a lot.
    having that monitor or even a full setup (monitor+keyboard+mouse+headphones+extra charger) waiting at home for me to just plug my laptop when I arrive makes it much easier than just having two machines.
    but I understand that you might not be able to use it as a desktop replacement and more like a traditional laptop that can game anywhere.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  7. Hosom

Hosom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So you guys suggest to go Liquid Metal or not?

I want it to be an ever-lasting solution.. no need to open it up every X year.

I would buy it on hidevolution and make them repaste it.

8. trias10

Reputations:
    I would strongly recommend you do NOT use Liquid Metal, for all the reasons I posted earlier and those two links which discuss the chemistry involved with LM.

You cannot argue with the chemistry, full stop. Gallium and copper do fuse together, removing the gallium from the LM and leaving you with a dry, brittle dust left over and pitting in your copper. LM only works if you understand this and are prepared to handle it correctly, which means reapplying it time after time until the reaction reaches a saturation point.

It's not a fire and forget solution when used with copper. With nickel, yes, but not copper.

If I was in your shoes, I would go with a highly quality thermal paste instead. And if you do that, then I would recommend GenTechPC over HID because GenTech offer Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut paste and HID for some reason only offers Gelid Extreme, which is a worse paste (if you check the manufacturer websites for both, you'll see Kryonaut has a better thermal conductivity)

Also, Gentech will do the repaste + Fujipoly pads for free and gives you a free extra year of warranty.

I like HID immensely, but the fact that they don't offer Kryonaut plus insist on charging for the repaste + pads when their competitor does not is strange.

9. Hosom

Hosom Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Thank you for the suggestion man!

My problem is that I live in Italy. I don't know what kind of warranty GenTech PC offers..

10. trias10

Reputations:
    Happy to help!

GenTech offer a 1 year global warranty for MSI laptops. I don't know if this can be extended or if they ship internationally. I would contact them and find out.