*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    The 2080 will score 26-27k or so graphics

seanwee likes this.
  2. trias10

trias10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Could I please trouble someone here who has done a repaste for some help? Does the heatsink-fan assembly in the GE75 use copper as the direct contact to the CPU + GPU, or is it nickel plated copper?

I ask because I'm considering using Liquid Metal on this laptop, however, you should never, ever apply LM directly to copper heatsinks, only nickel plated copper, hence my question.

If anyone has actually done the repaste and knows for sure that the contact points are copper, if you could please let me know I would greatly appreciate it.

3. Valiran

Valiran Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    It's copper, you can LM :)

seanwee likes this.
  4. trias10

trias10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You should never use LM on pure copper:

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-compatibility-with-copper-heat-sinks.800890/

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...-works-why-it-fails-and-how-to-use-it.809332/

If you do decide to use LM on pure copper (not recommended), you will need to reapply it every few weeks/months for several weeks/months until your copper surface has absorbed all the gallium it's going to. Until it hits that saturation point though, your LM will "dry out" day by day as the gallium moves from the LM compound into the copper surface, thus greatly reducing your thermal interface surface area to the point that you have no more TIM left (and hence need to reapply more LM). This is why some people talk about LM "drying out" over time, but that only happens with copper heatsinks, and it's true, only it's not actually drying, it's alloying itself with the copper.

It's just not worth it. The only time you should use LM is on a nickel plated surface as nickel has almost no reactivity with the gallium in the LM.

5. Valiran

Valiran Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well my GT75 was remaster with LM 2 years ago and temps never moved...

Envoyé de mon iPhone en utilisant Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC and seanwee like this.
  6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm aware of all this (I did a LOT of research) , yet i still decided to carry on with my LM repaste.

I'm OK with opening up my laptop once every year. And I've done some preventative measures to slow the drying process like pre-plating the surface of the heatsink with LM and using foam dams to seal it up from air.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  7. Acop

Acop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

how did you go about installing the driver? did you uninstall nahimic and realtek audio console first before starting the steps in the guide? im getting errors after installing it like the dolby tab not showing up in properties

8. Acop

Acop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    update dolby tab appears on the digital audio s/pdif but not in speakers

9. Acop

Acop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    switched to realtek 8684, but uninstall realtek audio console before you install it. i notice you lose about 15points of volume when you have it, so far this is the loudest i can get my speakers. still feel that when i first got the laptop it was still louder and better overall but this comes abit close.

10. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yea same issue Dolby only appears on s/pdif but headphones quality was much better for me (on ath-m50x) and yea you won't have the perfect audio from the speakers that easily but I e trick that worked for me putting the laptop on a coolermaster u3 on a solid table which made the sound bounce a perfectly compared to other setups.