*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Nov 12, 2018.

1. gustavo983

gustavo983 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey Sir., can you please pm me?

2. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I use 63 on cable and 127 on battery. Which is roughly 25% on cable and 50% on battery.

3. blacklupus

blacklupus Newbie

Reputations:
    @Manchops

9SF here with Kryonaut Paste.

I did the CPU Power Limit Tweak from post #295 (Page 30) and post #309 (Page 31).
    AC Loadline and DC Loadline set to 5.

Also switched out the high latency RAM that came with the laptop for 2x8GB CL14 2400Mhz and overclocked them to 3000MHz CL16-18.

Throttlestop:

Core and Cache Offset -60.5 mV
    Intel GPU Offset -40.0 mV

Getting 3,991GHz on all cores under full load.

2920 Points in Cinebench R20 while one core hits 95 degrees. The other cores are around 85-90 degrees.

Should be much lower with Liquid Metal, but you won't be able to clock any higher as far as I'm informed. So maybe yours will run a bit more silent.

That machine is a beast, though.

Don't forget to check out the fan speed settings in Dragon Center.
    Under the "Basic" setting you can click on the gearwheel symbol and push the slider to "low" for desktop use.

And you can overclock the GPU Core and Memory under "Shift - Turbo - Gearwheel"
    But I found that to be a bit useless, since the CPU is throttling the GPU anyway.

Getting 85% GPU load in AC Odyssey while the CPU is maxed out on all cores.

4. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    A lot of people are using silent option instead of dragon center because dragon center supposedly causes the machine to have a involuntary undervolt. Is everyone mostly using dragon center or silent option?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

5. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:

Right, that cpu throttle for the 2070 laptop is AC Odessey specific which is overwhelmingly cpu heavy, and is not nearly the case with most games. At max settings your cpu will sit 15-30% at most new games whilst your gpu is at nearly 100, bar the few spikes of course. I would say there is very little bottlenecking, certainly worth overclocking.

Use something like 3dmark to simulate game performance and you will get an idea how much extra performance you can get thru overcloacking your gpu. (roughly 10% extra fps I would say)

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dragon-center-2-0-what-is-the-problem.828561/

6. xxax

xxax Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    sorry to ask this kind of question but there is too much reading, hope you can help me with this
    i am thinking about getting the GE75 2070 i7 or the .. any recommendations or known issues with this laptop?
    regarding everything like thermals keyboard fan sound etc. because I am also looking into the Stealth GS75 but because of its max-q design, the raider would be a better performance.

coming from Alienware 14R4 -_-

7. Thousand

Thousand Newbie

Reputations:
    Well I can tell you my opinion so take it with a grain of salt. I have a Ge75 8SF and overall I love the laptop. I also had to choose between this and the GS75, but I preferred the increased performance.

In terms of temps, i have stock paste and I think I was one of the luckier ones. Yes, it overheats in some games, so I have been teaking and tunning with undetvolts and underclocking a bit. And yes the fans get loud, more than I was used to. But considering that even lowering the clocks a bit I can play any game with max settings with more than 60 fps.... It just makes my day lol.

Finally, I really like all the features the laptop has, and the built quality actually surprised me. It's surprising how thin it is and I was expecting it to feel more plasticky and flimsy, but it's actually quite solid and sturdy.

ryzeki and xxax like this.
  8. blacklupus

blacklupus Newbie

Reputations:
    Yeah, AC Odyssey is an extreme example.
    In other games its fine, hitting constant 144 FPS in Quake Champions and 90-110 FPS in Battlefield V.

Coming from Desktop PCs I was pleasantly surprised with the 9SF Model.
    I would definitely buy it again, even though it's quite expensive.

I looked at the GS75 RTX2060 before, but I'm glad that I switched to the much more powerful GE75-9SF RTX2070 for the same price. It's just a few hundred grams heavier. Tested the GS75 in a shop, but they only had the Final Fantasy Benchmark installed and it looked really laggy.

Undervolting is basically a must on every new gaming laptop. I used videos like this for a baseline and later did the Power Limit Tweak from my post above.

Timespy
    (Stock Settings: 100 MHz Overclock on GPU Core & 200MHz on VRAM)

Score: 7 934
    Graphics score: 8 132
    Graphics test 1: 53.00 FPS
    Graphics test 2: 46.63 FPS
    CPU score: 6 974
    CPU test: 23.43 FPS

No Overclock on Core & VRAM

Score: 7 648
    Graphics score: 7 837
    Graphics test 1: 50.99 FPS
    Graphics test 2: 45.00 FPS
    CPU score: 6 729
    CPU test: 22.61 FPS

Weirdly enough Firestrike crashes when I go above the stock overclock. I thought it worked before, but I guess it's due to the fact I don't know what I'm doing when overclocking RAM etc.

Edit: It really does seem that I don't know what I'm doing. On the last page of the link below, the guy gets much higher CPU scores. He is on liquid metal, but the same CPU is capped at 4GHz anyway.
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dragon-center-2-0-what-is-the-problem.828561/page-2

Last edited: Jul 12, 2019
  9. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Is everyone using dragon center or silent option for fan control?

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

10. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...cussions-lounge.825828/page-159#post-10931718

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/dragon-center-2-0-what-is-the-problem.828561/

@blacklupus That user mentioned he has applied the BIOS tweaks involving setting an IMON offset, meaning his CPU doesnt power throttle at any point. You can see his tempratures are quite high as well. I personally do not use those tweaks. And the performance difference is near 10% which isnt insane I would say. You can find everything he did here;

http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...scussions-lounge.825828/page-48#post-10863491

Also your overclock on your gpu seems really modest, I am running a 2070 too, benchmarks in signature. You should be able to aim near those scores with your GPU. A simple +140mhz core and +1000 on vram (turing cards vram handles really high clocks) should get you near that. You can try voltage curves for added stability at higher voltages (by flattening the curve)

Last edited: Jul 13, 2019