*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Thousand

Thousand Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Sorry for reposting but if someone knows the pros and cons of these updates I would be grateful for the information.

2. Action123

Action123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I got as much as a 10% cpu performance with the latest bios and EC firmware. The power limit was adjusted.

3. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    With regards to BIOS and EC FW flashing, they do not usually impact performance. They are just the small pieces of software that hands over your hardware to your OS.

When there is an update, it might be addressing an important bug, or adding support for a new feature etc. For this laptop the updates have been for adding i9 support and an update to the management engine.

If you actually download the files from the msi support page, they have a nice readme file inside with the version history, and change log.

Unless something in the change log seems to be addressing an issue you have, you should not flash your chips. Each time you are taking on a tiny risk to brick your laptop, with no real benefit.

TL;DR:
    download the file and read the change log. If you need the change do it, if not, it is unnecessary.

4. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm always reluctant to change the BIOS or even drivers that matter if I'm not having any problems. Although it's only a few benchmark data points, my various 3dmark scores appear to be at or very near the top, and I haven't done any bios setting fiddling with my 8750h either. Stock paste too. If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

5. awsan

awsan Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    When I was reading around I found some people that mentioned some code to unlock the BIOS, What is that and where can I get it?

Thanks

6. L33i

L33i Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Still getting WHEA errors, anything else I can try?

thefatapple and Failwyn like this.
  7. Spartan@HIDevolution

Spartan@HIDevolution Company Representative

Reputations:
    Nothing else I can think of other than ensuring you have the latest drivers for LAN, WLAN, and Bluetooth from here: http://support.killernetworking.com/software/

8. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The easy way would be via a laptop skin cover, that way you can "remove" it from sight easily and use any style you like to boot.

9. AcidArrow

AcidArrow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I sent the GE75 I had with overdrive issues/inverse ghosting back to MSI, and they told me it is within specs.

This :

is within specs. It's just fine.

I will never touch an MSI product again.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a laptop, because I am going to need one.

10. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:

well if you couldnt return it, you could try a third party repair shop, they might part swap and you can salvage your machine.