*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Are you running the panel at 60hz by chance?I just read today of a ghosting issue if running at 60 instead of basically anything higher.

Doesn't look at all normal to me, but I've only run at 144hz.

2. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Guys, Ive owned this laptop for nearly 4 months now. I clean installed it, fiddled with drivers, ran into tech issues along the way. Tried various combinations of BIOS settings.

I am running a full factory GE75 8SF which is the 8750h with RTX2070 and 2x8GB ram. It still has the factory thermal paste, and factory SSD.

I am going to share my highest benchmark scores, which I believe are close to the best that could be hoped for this particular laptop.

Cinebench R15: 1230 - Temps go slightly above 90, 2 cores thermal throttle.
    Cinebench R20: 2726 - Temps: same as above
    Superposition : 15886 (1080 Medium)
    Timespy: 8191 https://www.3dmark.com/spy/7467451
    Firestrike: 18283 https://www.3dmark.com/fs/19612678
    Port Royal: 4876 https://www.3dmark.com/pr/104327

All these numbers can be pushed a little further but then wouldnt be 100% stable. The numbers above have been running for weeks with no freezes or BSODs.

For the CPU, I have applied the AC/DC load line BIOS settings, -70 mV undervolt, disabled SGX, enabled DPTF (Added registry files for settings). No other tweaks resulted in higher performance for me.
    For the GPU I have built a custom voltage curve with afterburner, running the 430.93 official drivers. (modded drivers are a pain to install and do nothing for me)
    All these results are on windows 1903 that is cleanly installed with the latest drivers, and select tweaks posted by UltraMale under the "Windows 10 Tweaks and Fixes".

Except for the cpu tweaks, which are quick and easy, I found that the GPU after an initial flat overclock applied via Dragon Center or afterburner will result in insignificant improvements. (1-2%) and will take 30 mins to hours (if you are obsessed like me) I recommend against trying modded drivers or obsessing over voltage curves unless you enjoy doing it.

Hope these numbers give you an idea on what to expect as potential performance out of this machine. I suppose since the 9th gen is available it doesn't really matter. But I have only recently finished fiddling with my laptop so there you go.

Last edited: Jun 18, 2019
    Porter, Airn23 and Atma like this.
  3. Action123

Action123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I do not have the AUO panel so can't help with the reversion (inverse) ghosting issue. But the chemei (Innolux) panel has the static line issue in some blue colors. When you got your back, did they simply just replace the panel with another AUO? Check the msi forums someone posted a link to a MSI Overdrive application that might help.

My unit does have a little coil-whine. It is expected with any powerful laptop or CPU/GPU these days. Mine is not too noticeable though. I have to be really looking/listening for it. There is not much that can be done, if you RMA chances are the new one will have it, maybe worse whine. I heard that disabling C-states in bios might help. If your always plugged in, might be something to try. While on battery, I am sure you probably noticed that the coil whine goes completely away. It does on mine at least.

Guntraitor Sagara likes this.
  4. Action123

Action123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Those are nice numbers. And to help others who have a 2080, I get over 20K in firestrike for example with my 8750h and RTX2080 (GE75 8SG). I only do an -.180 undervolt in throttlestop (no bios tweaks) though. And no GPU tweeks (other than turbo mode boost from dragon center).

5. AcidArrow

AcidArrow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yes. I do not really have any other choice when I want to run games that are locked to 60fps though, right? And 144hz is still bad, I mean I played some games at 144hz and it feels like when I move the camera in a first person shooter, the world gets "sharper" (or has an unsharp mask applied), which is super annoying and distracting.
    I did not get mine back yet. I don't know if they are going to do anything. Frankly I don't know if I want it back.

6. katates

katates Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    RTX2080, 16GB ram version I get 80 fps in BFV I dont think thats normal, -125 Throttlestop I get 9k Timespy but game performance is not good something is wrong but I do not know

7. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Turbo mode in dragon center I think by default applies a +100 MHz overclock to your GPU unless you changed it. I think that is no too far off your computers peak performance anyways. Also -.180 is a great under volt, you have a good chip. Enjoy man.

8. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Are you having duall channel memory that can cause performance loss if you don't

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

9. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Just one possibility, if your CPU is getting super hot it may not only throttle itself, but also cause either extra thermal load on the GPU or even just a power limitation where you can't get full GPU performance. Try limiting the multiplier to 35x just for troubleshooting purposes, you can raise it back up if you prove that heat/power isn't the issue.

10. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The reason I sort of glanced over that comment was, 9k is just a mediocre but within normal range of the 2080 model. There is clearly nothing wrong with it.

Obviously the timespy score is a combined score, so both cpu and gpu would impact it. The likely culprit is probably the cpu, but all we can do is speculate pointlessly. The user needs to properly troubleshoot, and give detailed information. For example with -125mv that cpu hanst taken a great undervolt, vs the other user who said he ran a -180mv.

He may have run a slightly lower gpu overclock, and maybe have a single 16gb ram, all resulting in 9k in timespy which is still a very sweet number.

With that hardware the best case scenario is a 10k anyways, and I suspect he didnt literally get 9000, so all in all probably can push it a little further with effort, but the difference wont be crazy.. like 5-6%.