*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Porter

Porter Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Apparently I still had some lingering settings applied and causing issues. I renamed the TS.ini file and let it generate a fresh default one. Unfortunately I had to start over in tweaking, but the BSOD's are still gone now after several days of use. I did a lot of tweaking but I bet I probably went too low with the undervolt for gaming, and even when I went back to no undervolt I had so many other settings changed that likely one of those was also causing issues on "stock" multipliers and voltage.

Thanks both of you, I feel bad that I didn't try that before I posted here. I honestly thought I was going to have to call for support or worse yet had a hardware issue.

thefatapple likes this.
  2. Ananassi

Ananassi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Mine has RTX2080. Temps on the GPU are amazingly low considering the laptops thin design I must say. I havent run any benchmarks, but my max temps while playing AAA titles with ultra settings peak at 85-90 on CPU and 75-80 on GPU.

3. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Just glad we could help. I've gotten so much help from others in these forums and it's always nice to be able to give back a little!

4. Thousand

Thousand Newbie

Reputations:
    First, thanks for the answer ryzeki.

I think I'm gonna play it safe and get 2 x 8GB sticks. It's a pitty to waste the 16 it comes with though. May end up selling it.

I am from Portugal so I'm not sure about the warranty policy here when it comes to repaste.

I will try to get more information on the pads should I really need a repaste. I just asked because I saw some people on YouTube repasting and reusing the VRM paste.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2019
  5. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I there a ceratin way to install the sound drivers and Nahimic? For some reason nahmic is not working on my ge75

6. Action123

Action123 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I have the GE75 i8750h RTX2080 with the CMN175c (N173HCE-G33) panel. And although the panel is very nice and bright, colorful and crisp (no inverse ghosting like the AUO panel that some come with), I have recently noticed that some brighter shades of blue (and maybe one shade of orange) have faint static horizontal interlaced lines in them. This is mainly only noticeable in small light blue solid boxes like buttons on web pages and only if they use these specific solid shades of blue. It is basically like every other line of pixels is slightly brighter (in these specific lighter solid blue colors). I do not notice them in video or gaming. In fact watching movies and especially gaming, is awesome and the screen is beautiful (no ghosting or inversion artifacts). Also the issue goes completely away or not noticeable if I sit straight up and looking down at an angle to the screen or further away.

I am assuming this is not a hardware defect of my panel because it only affects certain specific shades of blue and not the entire screen. In fact, other shades of blue and other colors are perfect and no grid patterns or anything. Switching to 60hz helps a little but still can see them. The affect is very similar to what is described in this and similar forum threads but horiztonal instead of vertical.

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/690124-faint-vertical-lines-when-75hz-refresh-rate-on-monitor/

Maybe a coincidence but, I didn't notice this until shortly after I updated the bios and EC Firmware to the latest version. This is quite possible the cause since MSI might be trying to combat the inverse ghosting issue on the AUO panels. And inadvertently caused an overdrive issue or something with the Innolux panel. I really do not want to downgrade the bios or firmware because they provide a nice increase (as much as 10%) in CPU performance (more TDP time during boost). I do not think it is an Intel GPU driver issue because I did notice it in ubunto using a live USB boot, unless the intel gpu driver or msi sets some setting in the panel that sticks. It is not noticable at all in the bios screens. But there is only dark blue colors in it.

Here is a blue chart where I can see the lines in the deepskyblue and dodgerblue shades. No lines in any other shade or color. I am using the true color office setting. If I switch to sRGB, it is less noticeable in those shades but still there.
    https://www.rapidtables.com/web/color/blue-color.html

I might just be over sensitive (like I am to uniformity issues in some lcd panels used in iPhones). This is the first laptop or monitor I have own that is 144hz or a standard TN monitor. This may just be how these Innolux AAS "IPS-like" panels are. I know there are very similar issues with high refresh rate VA panels.

Other than this issue and the infamous and over aggressive realtek powersaving popping noise issue (after a sound is played) I am very happy with this laptop. It's gaming performance is top notch (at least with the full RTX 2080 version). All AAA titles with ultra settings play so smooth with high FPS.

I am mainly just seeing if anyone else notice or is sensitive to these static interlace/inversion patterns in 144hz monitors?

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  7. Jalen9762

Jalen9762 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested in a brand new 280 watt charger for ge75 please PM me.

Sent from my EVR-L29 using Tapatalk

8. Bizness80

Bizness80 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hey all,

Been an ASUS loyalist for the past decade but I'm very close to picking up an MSI GE75-8RE (the GTX 1060 model) here in Taiwan. There just doesn't seem to be anything else in the under $1500 price bracket with that kind of build quality and cooling.

However, I'm a bit worried about the AUO panel issues. Does anybody know which panel the 8RE has? Is it the AUO, Chimei or Innolux panel?

Have any of the 8RE owners (I think I saw one on here in one of the earlier posts) experienced the image ghosting problem?

I was also looking at the new GP75 with the 1660ti...do those also have potential panel issues?

9. Quokka

Quokka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    GE75 8SG 2080 owner here. I only notice panel ghosting if I set the panel to 60hz refresh. At its native refresh I don't see any issue. However at 60hz it is noticable, especially in games.

To help lower temps and prevent thermal throttling, I've done the following things so far:

- Throttlestop, to undervolt -120mV on CPU. Rock stable for me for 3+ weeks now.
    - Throttlestop, to change turbo multiplier to 36 on all cores. Again, another good way to keep temps down with hardly any impact on gaming performance etc.
    - Using a Cooler Master NotePal Ergostand III notebook cooling pad 43,2 cm (17'').
    - Using RTSS (Riva Tuner Statistics Server) to set an FPS of 72 for each game (half the panel native).

This way, when playing games I work the CPU and GPU less, as I don't need 144 FPS for smooth gameplay,. 72 is more than enough, and as a half-multiple of the native panel refresh, its smoother than for example 60hz. This approach also means that I don't need to set my panel refresh to 60hz, which then introduces ghosting. And I also get less fan-noise from the laptop, as the fans don't need to spin up so much.

So far this setup has worked extremely well. Max temp I'm seeing in demanding games (100% CPU usage) after 1hr+ of gaming is approx 88c. The GPU never seems to go above approx 78c. Before making these changes I was hitting 97-98c on the CPU and thermal throttling regularly. Oh, and I should mention that I'm on stock paste, nothing changed in that respect.

And I was getting some slightly annoying coil-wine (from the CPU I believe), especially when moving my mouse, which was audible when on the windows desktop and CPU in an idle state. I solve this for 99% by disabling c-states in the bios, and changing my mouse polling rate from 1000 to 500 reports per second. Now I hardly hear it. Some people say that disabling c-states can affect temps, but I've not really noticed any negative impact as a result. I also run from mains power all the time, so I don't care that it could affect power consumption when running from battery. Idle power usage in Windows is 3-4w with c-states disabled.

dorj1234 and Atma like this.
  10. AcidArrow

AcidArrow Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    So I sent my GE75 to the repair center for the inverse ghosting (and coil whine) that I mentioned a few dozen pages back.

The problem is... MSI global (or whoever it is the looks at the tickets on the website) and local Greek MSI, have a bit of a disagreement.

When I opened a ticket with MSI, they told that the inverse ghosting is not normal and I should send it to the repair center. They even sent me an image of the UFO test they took (supposedly) with the same laptop and panel, that looks normal.

So I contacted the repair center, explained the issue, told them MSI wanted me to run a few more tests and try some things and then I would bring them the laptop.

When I finally brought them the laptop to the repair center, they told me they had contacted MSI (the local Greek one, not the people from the ticket), and the local MSI just said (without having actually seen the laptop), that it's within specifications. I guess local MSI are cheap-ass jerks that are quick to find excuses if it means they don't have to authorise repairs or, god forbid, have the repair center change the panel.

Repair center does not have access to the tickets from MSI website (or at least that's what they told) and the people from the ticket don't seem to want to get involved?

I feel like they're playing good cop/bad cop with me, website MSI thinks something is wrong with my laptop and I should sent it for service, local MSI thinks I'm a crazy person and everything is as it should.

So I guess this : is considered on spec?

All in all, a pretty bad experience so far.

I also have really come to hate the laptop, the coil whine is annoying, the fans are very annoying and the HDD is very loud. The screen, even without taking the inverse ghosting into account, is very bad (it's really really dark, in certain conditions it's unusably dark)