*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan@HIDevolution, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    What's the current version of your BIOS and EC firmware? You can find this information in the BIOS under System Info.
    It's recommended to update them to the latest version.

2. Kiki&Lala

Kiki&Lala Newbie

Reputations:
    I am here to seek advice between GS75 and GE75. Not RTX2080 or 2060.
    I am getting RTX2070 with i7-8750H. No repaste. Stock.
    Will GS75 faces CPU thermal throttling?
    If so, does GE75 has better thermal capabilities and has no thermal throttling?

Last edited: Jun 11, 2019
  3. Ananassi

Ananassi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I own GE75 and am running it with stock paste. Only made some tweaks with throttlestop and I'm not experiencing any thermal throttling on the CPU. I'm pretty sure GS75 wont be having any throttling issues either, because even tho it has slimmer design, the machine also has one extra fan dedicated for the CPU.

4. Kiki&Lala

Kiki&Lala Newbie

Reputations:
    Thank you for your valuable reply. Which RTX are you using?
    Did you run any benchmark test to see if the CPU does throttle at 95 degrees as shown in youtube reviews?

5. kahilg

kahilg Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just got mine and just running Apex legends I get a hard throttle CPU temps jump to 98c.

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  6. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Both will depend on thermal paste from factory. Mine had a decent job and did not throttle. I do encourage you to undervolt the machine, this will be the first key to avoid throttling.

Ambient temps also make a huge difference, as well as fan speeds.

toughasnails and Kevin@GenTechPC like this.
  7. davaid

davaid Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't get the GS variant, weak speakers, difficult to maintain, and runs very hot, memory and SSD are not accessible, get the GE75 better option but weaker battery life, and its better to re paste with Krynout as it will keep the laptop cool and will also lengthen its durability, improve reliability and make it run quiet.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  8. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    GE75 has higher thermal capacity than GS75, but GS75 has higher portability, slightly better gaming capability at reduced performance while on battery (and larger battery capacity).

9. Thousand

Thousand Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hello. I am thinking of buying a Ge75 with the i7 8750h and RTX 2070 but i have 2 questions.

Since the laptop only comes with 1 stick of ram (16 GB) i am thinking of buying another with 16 GB of ram for dual channel but i'm afraid of compatibility issues. Can someone tell me if either of these will work for dual channel with the included ram that comes with the laptop?

HyperX Impact 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4-2666MHz CL15

OR

Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4-2666MHz CL19

They are about the same price so what i'm worried about is the dual channel compatibility here.

Or should i play it safe and get 2 8GB sticks that are exactly the same brand and type?

Also, i hear that the laptop runs Hot in the CPU so, although it will be my last resort (after undervolting, etc), i may atempt to repaste it with Noctua NT-H1 Thermal Paste.
    If i do, will i lose my warranty?
    And is it possible to reuse the goey stuff on the vrms if i don't have thermal Pads?

Last edited: Jun 12, 2019
  10. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Mine came with Kingston ValueRAM 16GB (1x16GB) DDR4-2666MHz CL19 So maybe the GE series also uses that same memory. I suggest to wait until you have your machine in hands to confirm the model of RAM and buy the closest/similar RAM module to avoid compatibility issues.

If you are USA based, you won't loose warranty for repasting.

As for reusing the thermal paste for the VRMS, I personally think you need to replace the pads, but I don't know what size (maybe 0.5mm?) pads you need. Maybe someone can help out here. I used 0.5mm with my GS75.

toughasnails likes this.