*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Ultra Male, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Mick911

Mick911 Newbie

Reputations:
    Careful when doing the repaste yourselves guys. I bent my heatpipe near the CPU side veryeasily while cleaning off the old paste. The blue substance was quite difficult to remove even though i used medical grade alcohol.

Any ideas where it could be possible to get a replacement heatsink?

2. jks87

jks87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    can anyone share what difference in performance on ge75 2080 150watt gpu vs 51m 2080 200wartt is?

3. cloudpm

cloudpm Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hello guys,

I'm thinking about returning my GE75 8SG (w/ rtx 2080) but before, I'd like to know your temperatures.

After bios tweaking, repaste with Kyronaut, if my Speedshift is set to 0 (so full power), with 4 cores at 3,9ghz constant : my temperatures hit ~80°C on average.

Are yours the same ? I have the impression +80°C is quite high for 3,9ghz... with such undervolt and repaste.

Thanks for your answers !

4. shaka_re

shaka_re Newbie

Reputations:
    What exactly is the problem with 80 degrees under full load?

The chip has no problem to handle 95 constantly

5. cloudpm

Reputations:
    Comparing to people who have the same laptop, from hundred pages I've been reading without remembering precisely, I have the impression mine runs quite hot, so I'm just asking :D

6. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    You can't really compare with other people like that, since ambient temps play a huge role as well. I recommend that you only focus on getting your temps under control for your use. Some people will have lower temps, other will have higher - the important thing is to not have throttle so that you have full performance for your use.

Besides, not all hardware is the same, "identical" GPU and CPUs will have varying temperature and power use depending on their yield quality. Some simply work with lower voltages, others need a bit more.

Falkentyne, custom90gt and cloudpm like this.
  7. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Geek

Reputations:

You mentioned bios tweaks, but did you also continue to undervolt in throttle stop? After the bios tweaks I was still able to have a decent undervolt in throttle stop to assist in bringing down temps.

8. cloudpm

Reputations:
    Thanks ryzeki for the answer.

@ricorlin : yes of course. Loadlines to 1, I was still able to undervolt cpu core and cache down to 0,70mV.

In Magic Arena (an unity game), 4 cores @3,9ghz, cpu cores monitoring on hwinfo were hitting 80degres celsius on average (fluctuating constantly between 78 to 82) which is for me too high for such a non AAA game (unless it’s poorly optimized).

I based my questions on this owner : who has some pretty legit temperatures. No undervolt, just a Repaste with kyronaut and only hitting max 80 degrees on Metro. You can see it at the end of the video. He is running at 3,9ghz constantly and his temperatures look nice ! (No undervolt !).

9. Avé César

Avé César Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    ON Afterburner overlay, 80° is average, not max, when he play Metro, his cpu is in the 90'S degree.... AND when u watch the video, on HWMonitor, he hides the tab voltages and power... I would not trust youtubers before i do my personnal test, undervolt, gaming experience...

As Ryseki said, do your own test with undervolt, and try to not copy tweaks from each others before. After that, with the help of the community here, you will find the "sweet spot" as I did on my pc, with the help from Nice & Kind people as Uncleweeb, Hackness, Falkentyne, Phenix, Papusan, and many others . I don't let my Speed shift EPP at 0 on Load, and 36/35/34 on my cores, BF 1 the cpu is on 71° on average, max 84 on 2 cores, gpu 72 average, 120 FPS. Got the laptop without windows, so no bloat from MSI or Microsoft, did some tweaks at install (No dragon center, No Telemetry, No Cortana....On start, or iddle, got 89 Process instead of 180 or more. I control my windows update, tweak W10 a lot at the install...GE73 8rf)

10. jks87

jks87 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I’m super excited!

I got the GE75 with 9880h and 2080 rtx after my first 51m burned and I went through two months of horrible service, delays etc. I just got refund.

Anyway I use this machine for cpu and gpu intensive work and stability is key (hence why I cancelled my dell order- unstable).

I receive it next week and I’d love to get going with undervolting a little

Are there any known issues I should test for with the GE75 right away? With the 51m for example it burned not by using gpu, but when using 100% cpu and exporting to a phone connect through usb compiling application. Tech said the MB couldn’t get enough power. Entire machine roasted.

And are there any score list on the forum for this machine? When not running stabile for work I might try for fun and push it a couple of times;)

So excited for this machine after seeing mainly positive reviews and much less stories about machines shutting down. It’s a good alternative with its 8 cores and lighter weight than the bigger machines

All tips on getting going are welcome.

Any other software than ThrottleStop to use? Any that can load on windows boot?