*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Your temps are okey to use the computer with at least, but like @zendik pointed it out, a kryonaught installation on this pc technically should have been better. It could definately be the warped heat sink. Is all the core temps near each other? If one of your cores isnt boiling, I reckon you can probably get away with using your current heat sink.

2. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
  3. y590

y590 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Ack, keep bending it:/

Last edited: May 5, 2019
  4. BlueWlvrn

BlueWlvrn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The cord is short. Too short in my opinion. None of my other laptops have this short of a cord. When I sit on my couch w/the laptop on a lap desk, I need to make sure the brick is right by my feet, where as my old Sager I could stuff the brick under the end stand next to the couch and still have cord left over to move the laptop around. Same is true for my work laptop, HP EliteBook.

Having said this, does anyone know if the length can be extended? (not interested in a non-MSI power brick option).

5. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I put a longer AC cord on which helped some. However that doesn't fix what you said that you still need to have the adapter right at your feet since it doesn't change the length from the brick to the laptop. I picked up a spare adapter on amazon but it was exactly the same as the stock one.

6. trias10

trias10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Can someone who has the GE75 please let me know if there is a BIOS option which allows you to fully disable Nvidia Optimus? I'm not familiar with MSI, but in Clevo BIOS, this option is usually called MSHybrid and the option is either Discrete (Optimus OFF) or MSHybrid (Optimus ON).

I am thinking about buying the GE75, but I absolutely must have G-Sync, so am thinking of swapping the panel with the one on the Clevo PB71RF-G, which, if I'm not mistaken, is the same panel MSI uses on the GT75 and which has G-Sync. However, in order for this to work, you need to be able to disable Optimus at a BIOS level on the GE75, hence my question.

7. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I don't think you can disable optimus on this laptop.

8. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I'm pretty sure that won't work for multiple reasons. Not only can you not disable the iGPU in the GE75 BIOS, but putting a G-SYNC capable panel into a notebook won't activate G-SYNC. For instance, I have a Powerspec 1510 (rebranded Clevo) that can use either discrete w/ G-SYNC or Optimus. But you can't swap the panel out for another panel, even a G-SYNC one, because it's the firmware that decides whether G-SYNC can be active, not the panel. The specific panel you are using has to be whitelisted at the BIOS level or, G-SYNC capable or not, it won't work.

One of the folks in the Powerspec 1510 + 1710 thread here at NBR swapped their 60Hz FHD G-SYNC panel out with a 120Hz G-SYNC one and the panel worked fine but G-SYNC simply wouldn't function.

If you want G-SYNC on the GE75 you'll only achieve it using an external G-SYNC capable display.

That said, I've been gaming for a couple of weeks now both on the GE75's internal panel and on my 144Hz QHD gaming monitor with G-SYNC and for the most part I really can't tell much difference.

thefatapple and Porter like this.
  9. trias10

trias10 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    That's very good information to have, thank you.

One other question: I can see that the MSI GE75 keyboard has no Windows key on the left side, just Ctrl, Fn, and Alt. But I read in a review that you can use some MSI software to permanently map it to Windows instead of Fn, is that right? Do you know if having this remap requires that MSI software to always be running the background? And I'm guessing that software only works on Windows 10, so if you installed Win 7 on this laptop, you'd be stuck with that key always being Fn?

10. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I uninstalled Dragon Center almost immediately, so I'm not sure.

There is a program called SharpKeys that can change any key to any other key, and it uses the registry to do it without needing any software running in the background.

https://www.randyrants.com/category/sharpkeys/

It's as simple as pressing a key and then pressing the key you'd prefer it to be, and it works on Windows versions going back into antiquity.