*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Yea... old stuff won't sell for as much. I would think that your desktop will go down another 300-500 by next year vs. this year. But hard to say. In any event - I think the choice is yours and if you can spare to spend 2K for a new laptop then I think this is a fantastic laptop. But if you want more, then without posting your 2017/2018 tax returns, income statements, and financial strategy we won't be able to advise you about your financial decisions :). If the question is about performance differences from your desktop to this laptop, then we can provide more fact based data and thinking.

TLDR: You gotta figure out what you can afford and what you want.

2. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    It is unlikely there will be a major GPU release from Nvidia anytime soon, and intel looks like they hit a wall with the 10nm stuff. So it is not a bad time to buy.

If you read the first 5-10 pages of this thread, you will see tons of benchmarks and opinions people gave on the laptop.

3. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Has anyone used this laptop with the HTC Vive? I'm getting quite a lag spikes and just overall less performance than with my previous laptop with 1080m. Tried the standard recommendation of turning off afterburner. Turning off Silent Option seemed to help the most, but its still not perfect.

4. y590

y590 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Has anyone bought one of these with the RTX 2060? I am thinking about picking up one with the 2060. My use case might be a little different. I think I would be using the laptop to mostly watch movies, read, email, and play older games with the fans on auto or quieter. The price difference on the newer I7-9750h models between the 2060 and 2070 is quite a bit smaller, maybe 200$ usd. The small price difference is pushing me towards the 2070, and not the slightly quieter 2060. I think the 2060 is rated for 90w vs the 2070 115w. I was hoping MSI would release this model with the GTX 1660ti, but it looks like I would have to go with a different model to get that GPU.

5. gkfisher

Reputations:
    What grfx card do you have? 2080? What are your temps?

6. Rycorlin

Reputations:
    2080 yea. And temps don't go over 85 (at least not after bios changes/undervolt/repaste)

Also by overall less performance I only mean with HTC Vive (virtual reality)

7. gkfisher

Reputations:
    weird ... so, I recall in an older version of Dragon Center there was some "VR MODE" option you could choose. Not sure what that would have done, but in the new version it's gone. Maybe it caused issues in the past so they removed it.

8. Mick911

Mick911 Newbie

Reputations:
    I repasted all the cpu/gpu and necessary components. GPU is now 40c while idle, never exceeds over 80c when under load.
    Cpu on the other hand is between 50 to lower 60ish when idle and around 80-90 with occasional spikes to 95 under heavy load for long periods.

I used Grizzly Kryonaut do to this and bent the heatsink by accident near CPU which i managed to bend back into original position but still some visible damage apparent. Didnt think it would bend so easily but it did and now im wondering how much it affects the cpu temps. I think 60 while idle is kinda high temp for this laptop right(with bios mod and throttlestop undervolt btw), but at the same time temps dont go way too high while under load. So i quess my question would be if anybody here knows if its possible to order a new heatsink from somewhere online to test it out and wonder if my idle temps seem bit odd to you guys also? I tried to search but didnt find anything available for these models.

9. Rycorlin

Reputations:
    On my last laptop, I had that VR mode option. And I personally never had any issue with it. However, I've disabled the Dragon Center on this laptop.. so who knows..

10. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Unfortunately even a very small amount of warping is enough to completely screw up your temps. You'll probably need to buy a new heatsink and heatpipe assembly if yours is damaged. Bending metal is easy. Putting it back exactly the way it was before you bent it is pretty much impossible.

For reference, my CPU after repasting with Kryonaut idles in the upper 30's and lower 40s with the fans mostly silent with ambient temps around 18-20C. This is with the rear of the machine slightly elevated to let it breathe, the BIOS tweaks (not IMON) applied and an additional undervolt (-105mv, because my CPU is awesome).

With all-core turbo limited to 3.6Ghz because I prefer slightly cooler/quieter to slightly faster, I just fired up OCCT and let it run for 15 minutes on auto fans and my hottest core hit 73. The CPU fan was running about 4800RPM and was pretty quiet.

OCCT is still running after about 20 minutes, and my cores are averaging 64-68C with the hottest one hitting 70C every now and then but sticking close to 68.