*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I followed the tweak guide precisely since it was over my head, so if it said 5 that’s what it is.

2. Acop

Acop Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Anyone else having the keys white led dying on them? Mine started with one key now its 3 keys

3. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So the user AWholeHam wrote the Bios tweak instructions in this thread, who suggested using 5. I tried to contact him and ask about why 5 instead of 1, but haven't been able to reach him. The original post suggesting these settings suggests using 1, whom when I asked if there would be a reason to set it to 5, pretty much said 1 is better.

We are talking about extremely small differences. But essentially the smaller the number, the less your phantom overvolt under load will be.

Rycorlin and zendik like this.
  4. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I *think* having loadline at 1 with a smaller undervolt (~40) resulted in better temps than leaving at 180 with larger undervolt (~145). But maybe just 1c. Have done extensive testing and much of these tweaks don't do much with the exception of IMON. The IMON tweak is about the only one that will drive a performance increase during CPU intensive, long running, tasks.

5. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    liked the video. Although I found my tweaked 8750 held up with the 9750. Did you test the 8750 with no undervolt?

6. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Well that is the intended effect of the AC/DC load line tweaks. They are an alternative way to undervolt your laptop. So if you had undervolted your laptop to the brink before, and switched to these tweaks your arent expected to get much better performance. The secret in the pudding is that, the loadline settings are undervolting only when your computer is under load as opposed to a fix undervolt applied by throttlestop. So technically there is not much undervolting being done at idle resulting in better stability, and also potentially a couple C lower temps etc. because of slightly more overall undervolt achieved at the top end. I personally think its the 'cool' way to do it.

I also dont do the IMON tweaks myself, because I dont want to exceed the 45W tdp. This computer is loud as it is. XD

Also an equally tweaked 9750 will perform about 10% better, it just gets higher clocks at similar power. It is essentially a more refined version of the same chip. With the seeming delay/cancellation of the 10nm and the 14nm being pushed to the brink, I think the GE75 8-9 series were actually pretty decent purchases.

7. katates

katates Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I am considering buying this: MSI GE75 Raider-048 to be used mostly on QHD 144Hz and sometimes mobile,
    I am currently using 7700k (with AIO), 1080Ti desktop system. I need mobility from the summer so i will be switching and I almost need to double the price.

Would this notebook let me down? What are your thoughts? Or should I wait another year?

8. B0B

B0B Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Well it doesn’t seem like you need mobility for the summer if you’re willing to wait another year.

What ultimately do you want? Are you going to part with your desktop?

9. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    In my mind if you don't need it now, you are always better to wait as long as you can. Laptops generally get cheaper and faster/better over time.

I am doing something similar, changing my main system from a 8700K/GTX1080(laptop) to the GE75. Most of my games have improved the FPS some, with some staying close to the same. Benchmarks are much better overall, much higher graphics and slightly less CPU due to going from a high end desktop cpu to a mid range bga mobile. It is much smaller and lighter and quieter than the 15" I was using. I've read complaints about the GE75 being loud but man it is the quietest gaming laptop I've had in years (Aorus, Clevo's, Acer, previous MSI's). Having a 17" display built in to a basically 15" footprint is nice too compared to the 15" screen I was used to.

Performance wise it should be a step up for you I would think, both CPU and GPU wise under most reasonable loads. (Maybe not is certain raw CPU jobs taht push it to it's limit). However it will be much easier to cause the laptop to throttle and under those conditions your desktop could actually perform better. If you're not afraid to tweak some I think you will be fine, if you want a full out of box experience to be equal you will likely be met with some throttling especially on the CPU side.

Personally I think it's a great system after I tweaked it to my liking, and mine is connected to a QHD 144 external as well, granted most of the time I just use 1920x1080 and enjoy the extra frames. Plus I don't like changing my games resolution and settings back and forth when docked or not. I love playing in the living room on a lapdesk next to the girlfriend now, with auto fans it's barely perceptible when TV audio is playing, and in nvidia whisper mode you can't hear the fans at all. I've ran benchmarks with max fans while watching TV and I could never do that on past systems due to how loud they were. My graphics scores in Timespy are almost 50% better than my 8700k/1080 system.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    Failwyn likes this.
  10. katates

katates Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

But I have the concern that I can not sell my desktop build with good price next year?