*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    ASUS had bamboo notebooks awhile back, which was pretty cool when they did it.
    upload_2019-4-28_23-22-38.jpeg
    upload_2019-4-28_23-22-47.jpeg

2. disassembler

disassembler Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Bought a new GE75 Raider 8SG (2080)

I also have 2 other MSI laptops:
    1. GT72VR 7RE Dominator Pro (1070)
    2. GL62 6QF (960M)

3. Quokka

Quokka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Suddenly today I seem to be having some wifi issues (inconsistent download speeds etc). First I though it was just Steam, but I notice it in other applications as well. One minute I will get the full speed on my connection, then it will slow down, then speed up again etc. The connection itself never drops (I can still browse web pages etc), but the overall speed is very erratic. To troubleshoot I connected a LAN cable, and its rock solid on my maximum connection speed.

I know its not my connection as other devices are fine.

When I got my GT80 almost 4 years ago I remember having all sorts of issues with the Killer network control centre. I ended up uninstalling it, and then installing drivers only (with a driver update I got from wherever I don't remember).

Are those previous Killer network issues now fixed, or is there something I can do to improve things? I'd rather run on the wifi if I can, as its one less cable to worry about.

4. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Have you tried rebooting your router? I only mention it as I have one laptop in my house (Acer Spin 5) that requires me to reboot the router every once and a while. I don't know why, no other devices have any issues connected to the same router, and rebooting the laptop doesn't help. If I reboot the router (once every month or two?) it fixes the issue.

Also just for troubleshotoing purposes you could try an alternative driver for your wifi in the laptop.

Windows update gave me a wifi driver that caused all sorts of weird issues, like inability to login to emails, couldn't get windows updates after that point, other odd issues even tho technically I could browse normally other than issues stated above. I proved it was windows update driver as I did a full clean install, no optional software and kept updating and rebooting and it failed the same way after that updated driver. This time I simply removed the driver and installed the MSI version and everything worked great after that. Wish I would have tried that before a full clean re-install as I spent the previous 24 hrs getting all my games and apps all setup how I wanted.

5. Quokka

Quokka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Cheers for the advice. I'm not aware of Windows Update having installed any new wifi drivers, and I can't see anything if I look back through the update history. First thing I did when I got this laptop 1 week ago was to install the most recent drivers from the MSI website. Everything was fine until this evening. On the LAN cable its perfect, so its something wifi related. Going to try rebooting my routers first, and if that does not fix it, then I'm going to have a think about the next step. I could uninstall / reinstall the drivers, but that would just be the same ones I have installed already, so not really sure how that is going to help.

I'm also considering going without the killer control panel to see if that might help. If I download the killer WLAN driver from the MSI GE758SG support page:

https://www.msi.com/Laptop/support/GE75-Raider-8SG

Is that JUST the driver? (as I see the killer control center is a seperate download under utilities). I would have thought so, but the filename of the drivver download includes the word "suite", so I'm not hopeful.....

Then again, I might just leave it running on the LAN cable, as thats also going to be more stable than wifi, even when its working fine. At this point I'm not even certain if its an issue with this laptop, or maybe just some kind of transient issue (other devices on the wifi etc).

Last edited: Apr 29, 2019
  6. rtx

rtx Newbie

Reputations:
    I have actually made some progress in pinpointing the problem, when booting in safemode there are no errors.

When booting normally but with ethernet cable unplugged there is only 1 error ID17 just as windows loads and after that no errors, however if I plug in ethernet cable the errors come back 1-2errors/minute.

multiple ppl with laptops same problem

Even more ppl with same ID 17 problem this time on HP & Asus Laptops

It seems to be a problem that has to do with either my Killer ethernet gigabit or Killer Wifi adapter or potentially both, the error complains about PCI/PCIe.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I saw that error in my event viewer for the first day of my install, then it stopped and I never saw it again. I do very little "tweaking" so my guess is it stopped when I switched from the windows driver to the MSI one. I was having a serious issue with certain things only over wifi (logging in to emal, windows updates) and that driver fixes all issues and also stopped that error apparently (I never knew about that error until just now)

8. rtx

rtx Newbie

Reputations:
    Which MSI driver stopped you from having the problems?

9. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I only installed this one, when I downloaded it a week ago it was the latest available on the MSI website.

lan_KillerEthernetSuite_2.0.1134_UWD_x64_9.0.0.49_0xd1bf3323

10. tromen

tromen Newbie

Reputations:
    Im having an issue with the PGUP/HOME key and PGDN/END. I use them often in MS WORD pressing crtl+home or ctrl+end to go at the beggining of the document and to the end of it. However, I can't use this because when a keys is pressed its at PGUP or PGDN, not HOME or END, so my combination mentioned before dont work. If keys were at HOME and END normally, I could acces them pressing shift, but this is not the case.

thanks