*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. rtx

rtx Newbie

Reputations:
    Could the problem be with HWinfo software? I havent tested enough yet but I dont know if the laptop itself has any problems.

Ive had couple of freeze moments in Apex Legends but that could have been due to my bad internet connection or undervolt was too high.

2. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    If you're not using the latest bios that sounds right. The most recent BIOS and firmware have a big improvement in this regard. Regardless of how much you tweak, max fan, etc. I believe the most you can get out of Cinebench is around 1220-1240. If the stars align you might be 1250. For me, I had an odd stretch where I was getting 1270 but now I can't reproduce that regardless of how I set things. Lol.

3. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Raider-286 Intel® 9th Gen Core™ i7-9750H

I would like to see stats at stock without LM to compare.

Last edited: Apr 28, 2019
  4. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The dual channel does seem to make a big difference in gaming (fps). I saw others mention it and it proved true when I changed to dual channel in my wife's new laptop.

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  5. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    A software side error is unlikely to persist after a fresh install of windows. I honestly cannot tell you what might be wrong, but neither can anyone else from just looking at that.

If you undervolted too much, the most likely result would be freeze or blue screen. However you can easily troubleshoot that by removing your undervolt. Infact just see if you can replicate the errors on a stock config. If they persist, you should take it to the shop.

6. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    +1, it is also been reviewed by some review sites too. There are benefits of using dual channel in certain applications but not so much with gaming.

7. Debra L Govella

Debra L Govella Newbie

Reputations:
    Ended up trying my hand at wrapping my GE75 today, not that it isn't a gorgeous machine already I just prefer something with less red.

I always have the trackpad disabled so I didn't bother to cut it out. That being said I was curious and it does still work perfectly even through the vinyl.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ok. after spending way too much time benchmarking, changing bios, running more tests, and repeat over and over.... I've concluded that in general much of the bios tweaks don't help anything. The biggest thing you can and should do is undervolt and overclock GPU. These two things, software based things, will drive 20% benchmark gains and at least 10% higher FPS in games.

The one BIOS based exception is the IMON offset and slope, which will let you run at higher clocks for longer. That seems to drive about a 10-12% improvement for long time driven CPU intensive tasks, but in practice it's limited benefit to gamers and most users.

The loadline stuff is a wash when you undervolt... maybe, at best, setting to 1 vs. 180 lowers temps by 1c but hard to really say.

All the current stuff didn't do anything. Something tells me that if ANY of this really did matter, MSI would do it already since they're incentivised to have these things running as fast as they can.

9. luixyz

luixyz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Great Work, and the wooden texture seems to feel great, I dislike the palm rest collecting finger print and feel uncomfly, planning to wrap mine with fake carbon textured wrap!

10. luixyz

luixyz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Dear All

I have bought the GE75 with 2070 few months ago, was so excited until I tested it with some casual gaming on Anthem... in theory it should deliver better frame rate / gaming experience than my desktop with RX590, but there was random short lag in between gameplay...could be the throttling as mention in the posts here. And most importantly the fan noise is like a 1200W hair dryer or jet engine... Understandably the relatively thin chassis packed with this power horse inside, but just not applicable to game play without headphone. When the CPU fan not exceeding 4000rpm and GPU <3500rpm the noise is acceptable IMO. I had been putting it away collecting dust until last night, after finding out there is a BIOS update from reading the posts.

With stock BIOS, I used Dragon Centre with XTU to undervolt with -150mV Core, -50mV iGPU, and stress test CPU using CPU-Z, got PL1 but no thermal throttling, stablized @ 3.4GHz 88 degree
    With updated BIOS, same Dragon Centre with XTU to undervolt with -150mV Core, -50mV iGPU, and stress test CPU using CPU-Z, got PL1 but no thermal throttling, stablized @ 3.6GHz 88 degree

Note with XTU and Dragon Cenre: the core ratio and the Max Power time cannot be adjust, the voltages on core and iGPU seems to work well

My Preliminary thoughts with the BIOS update is that the fan noise came to maximum sooner than the stock BIOS, MSI introduced a more aggressive scale with fan speed to maintain a higher sustainable clock under full load. This is no good to me as the noise really irritates me.

I then uninstall the dragon centre, and used throttle stop to undervolt -160mV Core, -50mV iGPU, silent option for fan speed control (just used Auto mode, the latest BIOS have a more agressive fan table), and Afterburner for the GPU, I set Core Ratio 1+2 @ 3.6G Core, Core 3-8@ 3.4G, and retest with CPU-Z stress CPU, got PL1 but no thermal throttling, stablized @ 3.4GHz <80 degree and CPU fan @ <3900 rpm, this result will do me due to the noise.

Given the substantial performance of the 8750H, having a few more fps doesnt really bother me, so setting such low clock given a smooth game play and adequate low fan noise is my mission.

Paid so much for a laptop, and still have to do all the tweaking in order to make it work properly, although we all enjoying the fun doing so, MSI should unleash all the setting say in a beta bios for advance users to fix it for them, if the dragon centre can set the core ratio and undervolt, most of us do not need throttlestop and silent option and enjoying the propriety software we paid for. But to be fair, we are pushing more from what MSI delivers, comparing to other brands, the GE75 wasnt too bad.

Tested until 2:30am, time to bed, I will continue to tweak GPU fan noise later.