*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I just grabbed a 2nd one for a spare otherwise I would have been interested. More than once in the past I was couldn't even use my main laptop for a while since I couldn't source one locally.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  2. sethwololo

sethwololo Newbie

Reputations:
    Have you guys seen that GE75 (2080, 9750H, 32GB) at gentech for 2699? Is it a good value? I'm planning on buying one when i go to US in 2020

3. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    that's 8 months from now, prices, available hardware will all change. For someone considering to buy today, its not bad though.

sethwololo likes this.
  4. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    So I decided to open it up and replace the SSDs and spinning hard drive and ... holy crap. The bottom cover design is actively hostile. I have an iFixit tool kit with lots of little openers and plastic pry tools, and it still took forever to get the stupid thing off.

And that "FACTORY SEAL" sticker was also horrible. I got it in my head to remove all of it once I'd broken it, because it looked like crap, and that was almost as annoying as getting the bottom cover off.

And then there is the SSD wedged under the heat pipe to contend with. Not a big deal since I was going to repaste anyway, which is actually super simple once you get the bottom cover off. But overall, this is not a friendly device to work on. Hopefully the bottom cover won't be so horrible to remove after the first time.

Anyway, I just finished about an hour and a half of benchmarking (Cinebench R15 & R20, 3DMark, Superposition, FC5 benchmark) and stress testing and playing some Far Cry 5. With the BIOS tweaks listed earlier in the thread plus an undervolt of -0.107 and all-core turbo capped at 37, I ended up with a maximum GPU temp of 71 and a maximum CPU temp on the hottest core of 78.

CPU package average over 1 hour 45 minutes of testing and playing games: 61
    GPU average: 57

My max recorded GPU clock was 2070Mhz, but it mostly stays in the upper 1800s and occasional 1900s. During the 3DMark stress tests my CPU and GPU both stay in the 50s and 60s.

The undervolt this thing can take is just unreal.

Also, in case anyone is interested, I find that these "laptop legs" work great:

https://www.amazon.com/LapWorks-Cre...ptop+Legs&qid=1556298022&s=electronics&sr=1-1

When they're closed up you can barely tell they're there but they still give a little bit of rear elevation. When they're open, they really let the machine breathe. Great for when I'm not using it on a cooler.

Atma likes this.
  5. Quokka

Quokka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I picked myself up one of these today, and I have to say I'm very impressed. Its "just" the right size for the GE75. It says its suitable for 17in laptops, but honestly I would not want to try it will anything bigger than the GE75. With its inbuilt fan on 50% its basically silent. Having the laptop elevated on this stand seems to make a difference.

http://www.coolermaster.com/mobile/notepal-all-notepals/ergostand-III/

1hr playing Shadow of the Tomb Raider, all details Ultra. Was happily running at between 70-120 fps depending on the area. All CPU cores 100% usage. -.100mv undervolt, turbo limited to 3.6. Stock paste. Highest core temp was 84c. Without this stand I think it would have been 2-3c warmer at least.

Atma likes this.
  6. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hmm... bios tweaks made my performance worse. Not sure if they're still relavent after latest firmware and bios from MSI. My Cinbench scores peak at 1240 vs. 1270 before (average is 1220 vs 1250 before). Throttle stop reports 4W MAX.... I get it, that this is 31W lower... but this makes me think that the most this CPU is drawing is like 35W. And yes... I was in prime 95 and let it run for awhile. Sure, all cores show that they're running at 3.9ghz... but it doesn't seem to be utilizing the CPU all the way. Again - something seems off. Temps are fine... thinking of a few more tests and hitting the ol' UNDO button on BIOS tweaks. I welcome any input if others see better performance after BIOS tweaks (and running latest bios).

thefatapple likes this.
  7. rtx

rtx Newbie

Reputations:
    I recently got the GE75 RTX 2080 laptop, it came with 2x8gb Ram from factory to my pleasant suprise.

I do have a potentially serious problem:
    Windows Hardware Errors (WHEA)
    PCI/PCIe Bus Errors

Regardless if the laptop is completely IDLE or if I'm doing something resource intensive there is approximately 1-2 errors each minute.

While gaming in apex legends gave 263 errors in 2h30min (1.75errors/minute).

The errors existed even when the laptop was in stock voltage, atm I have -100mV to combat heat.

[​IMG]

8. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    What program are you using to see Hardware errors? HWinfo?

9. Quokka

Quokka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Yup, thats HWinfo. Get all the monitoring pages up. then scroll fully down - its right at the bottom of everything.

10. rtx

rtx Newbie

Reputations:
    Indeed it is HWinfo, not sure if I can open up the laptop and upgrade the Thermal paste as it might void the warranty and it might be defective considering the errors?