*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Was it pretty easy to do? I've built plenty of desktops and even repasted a few MacBooks years ago, but I've never done a more modern machine.

I'm thinking of ordering some Fujipoly's and Kryonaut and repasting mine once my return period is over and I'm sure I'm going to keep it. If I recall correctly it's 0.5mm all around. Is that what you used?

How are your core differentials? I have 3 cores that get quite a bit hotter than the other 3.

2. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

The hardest part, as I think someone else mentioned before, is getting the back case off. If I had some sort of pry tool it would have gone a lot easier.. I did manage to break a few clips :D Outside of that it was fairly easy. Around 10 screws and you just lift the entire assembly. Someone else actually posted a great picture and detailed it.. I added it as a quote here. I didn't re-pad anything I only did a repasting on the CPU/GPU.

I have a couple cores that get a bit hotter than my others as well, but overall temps are lower. Someone gave me the advice to take the processor affinity off of my cores that were throttling first.

Edit: Well I thought I quoted it! It's on page 72 :D

3. Rycorlin

Reputations:
    I am still getting a EDP Other under Ring in Throttle Stop if anyone has any ideas about how to fix that? I am using all the Bios Tweaks and am running an undervolt of -40

My wife got the GS75 (Same processor) but with a 2070 card. When shes playing World of Warcraft she runs around 65 while mine is stilling getting up to 85 so I may try to re-paste again. Considering it use to go up to 95.. I can still be a little happier.

Wonder if I should undo the IMON tweaks.
    I know Doc Foc made a comment about that tweak making the computer run hotter.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019
  4. Vooma

Vooma Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello guys
    I opened up my laptop to reapply thermal paste but i found some sticky blue stuff
    What is it and should i clean it ?
    If i cleaned it what should i put in its place its close to the electronics and my thermal paste is conductive

[​IMG]

https://m.imgur.com/a/ChojMuV

Oh i also forgot to mention that i reapplied the paste and didnt touch the sticky stuff but now core 2&4 temps are a bit higher than the others like +5-10c

5. thefatapple

thefatapple Notebook Geek

Reputations:

i get EDP other too with the same BIOS tweaks. another guy early in the thread who also had the BIOS tweaks posted benchmarks and they had it too. i think it might be normal?

also, what's the processor affinity thing? what did you do?

6. bryneb

bryneb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    On laptops I prefer to spread the paste thinly over the entire surface, unlike desktop cpu's these don't have a heatspreader over the die.

7. bryneb

bryneb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    What is EDP?

8. thefatapple

thefatapple Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    we're referring to "EDP other" that appears in yellow, in Throttlestop > Limits (not sure what it means, but it appears to several users who did the BIOS CPU tweaks)

9. Rycorlin

Reputations:
    Thanks! I'll take it apart and try again. Can't hurt.

10. Quokka

Quokka Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Just changed the turbo multiplier to 3.6, and applied an undervold of -0.100mv.
    Ran the Division 2 benchmark. Before these changes, my CPU hit 92c. Now it tops out at 86c. Much better, especially considering I'm on stock paste.
    Going to run this undervolt for a while to confirm its stable before I consider going further. Also need to see how I do in longer gaming session, before I was seeing a max of 95c-97c after maybe 1hr of playing The Division 2. I might still end up around 90-92c (assuming the same reduction as seen in the benchmark), but thats already a lot better than before.
    Unfortunately repasting is not an easy option here in The Netherlands, as the seller (CoolBlue) does not offer that service, and its not somthing I feel comfortable doing myself.
    Anyway, thanks so much for the advice so far, as it seems to have really helped!

EDIT - After 1 playing Division 2, max CPU temp was 85c. 1c lower than the benchmark. Nice!

And does anyone have examples of a slightly more aggressive fan curve for Dragon Centre that might also help keep temps down when gaming? I have the fan set to AUTO at the moment. If I set it to ADVANCED, and don't touch the fan curve points, is it then the same as AUTO, or is ADVANCED already a bit more aggressive than AUTO, even before adjusting it?

Last edited: Apr 25, 2019