*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. martin778

martin778 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    You guys have some riddiculously low prices there, 9980H will be like 3800-4000 dollar here, calculated.

2. Failwyn

Failwyn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:

I'm really interested in doing these BIOS tweaks, has anyone else implemented them and found them to be stable and safe? Which of the settings are dangerous and what are the setting ranges for those settings? With ThrottleStop, everyone posts safe ranges for all the settings, all the BIOS tweaks appear to be exact values. Also, are these settings ALL or NONE, or can you implement the settings one at a time?

3. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    You can implement any of those settings on their own, you don't have to do all of them. You can also change the numbers to your liking. However with Bios tweaks you need to make an effort to understand what the change you are doing does exactly, so that you can troubleshoot if you need to. They each modify a different aspect which are well explained by the users who posted the tweaks.

The AC/DC Load Line settings are a pseudo undervolt. There will be less voltage at higher clocks. This doesn't mean cooler temperatures necessarily over the long run, since your TDP will still be 45W with these changes. But you will get more performance for the same amount of power and heat.

IMON tweaks suggested will make your computer run hotter. You are essentially increasing the maximum amount of power your cpu can draw.

Current settings will tackle the 'EDP Other' throttling which will not increase your total heat as your cpu is still bound by the same total power limitations.

If you have thermal headroom, you can apply all of these settings without a worry. If your CPU is already running around 90 degrees, I wouldn't do the IMON tweaks, because you will simply thermal throttle.

But the GE75 should have enough cooling to always run at 3.9 at all cores. So if your computer is running hot, you can always repaste, which is worthwhile.

Rycorlin likes this.
  4. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    The best and most important setting, in my opinion, is the loadline value to 1. This sheds off the massive overvolt that comes with the machine. Just make sure to remove throttlestop/ or whatever you are using to currently undervolt before chaning those values.

Failwyn likes this.
  5. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hard to say where pricing will settle, but it's more understandable now why the GE75 saw pretty fast price drops as they're moving to the newer CPU. If the current CPU models stay available at $2500 that would be a better deal then the new ones I suspect. I wouldn't be surprised to see the 2080 version of this settle in around $3299 US (assuming you are buying in US), and the i9 version coming in closer to 4000. The CPU is better, about 100mhz on all cores. Some other efficiencies done and possibly better cooling design. If I could redo, I would have saved my 3K I paid and bought this... but I've already jumped in a few months ago on the 8750h version. Not worth upgrading from that! Cinbench scores (very early results) show it getting around 1290... or 2% higher after tweaking 8750h. The new CPUs also, supposedly, can't be undervolted nearly as much. I think on CPU bottlenecked activities you'll probably see 5-10% improvement.

If somehow they double the battery size and I can get 6-8hrs on this with web surfing, then i'll upgrade and find somebody to buy my ultra-tweaked 8750h/2080 :).

ryzeki likes this.
  6. Atma

Atma Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    The i9 model at HIDevolution is going for $3399. The i7 from MSI will run $2699 on Amazon but it looks like another month for that one, but it's $2618 on GenTech and available to ship now. The battery is the same 65Whr.

ryzeki likes this.
  7. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Another update: I'd settled on a -0.180mv undervolt in Throttlestop. It never threw a BSOD, I just got to that point and stopped testing because I was ready to do other stuff.

Anyway, just for fun, I reset Throttlestop and did the BIOS tweaks someone suggested a few pages back. Then I fired up Throttlestop and started undervolting.

And it just ... kept going.

I'm at -0.100mv and it seems stable, but who knows, might have to ease it down a little more.

Fire Strike score: 20313 overall, 27035 graphics.

Temps while running the Time Spy stress test through a full loop averaged 62C on the CPU and 66C on the GPU. Ambient 20C.

Playing Far Cry 5, though, that's a different story. Seeing low 70s on the GPU, mid-to-upper 70s, spiking to 80 or 82 on the CPU. No throttling at all, though.

I'm still in my return window so I don't want to open it up just yet, but at some point maybe I should repaste it.

8. bryneb

bryneb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Nothing wrong with that!

I did the bios tweaks and repasted with Gelid Extreme (or something like that) and playing BF5 for a couple hours in a room that's 20-21C it doesn't go above 75C now.

9. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    wow... damn, I guess in this case the glory goes to those who could hold off 5 months. Lol. Oh well.

Atma likes this.
  10. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    upload_2019-4-24_22-40-38.png

Well this is what my paste job looked like when I opened it up. That big circle in the center is probably not a good thing? :D

Either way I repasted (just put a pea in the center of each) and sealed it. Temps ARE lower. Not as low as I think they could be, not sure if I used enough paste, but definitely better than what they were. I'll have to do some more testing but after running Time Spy I didnt see any throttling.