*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. Doc Fox

Doc Fox Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So, let me start with setting ThrottleStop to start on login via task scheduler is something you should do after you know your undervolt is relatively stable. Do not do this while you are still tweaking your undervolts. Otherwise every time you boot into your system, ThrottleStop will run, and your system will crash.

Dropping your turbo multiplier will reduce your temperatures, but you can try and see if undervolting alone will get you reasonable temperatures on its own. Because you decided not to do Bios tweaks, your computer will not run faster than 3.2-3.3 gHz longer than 28 seconds until your cpu power throttles (That is how long the Turbo Boost lasts, power throttle is displayed as pl2 in ThrottleStop). Therefor you shouldn't see a change in your thermals while gaming with 3.6 ghz multiplier (Since while gaming your CPU is already running slower). You would have to drop your multiplier pretty low to get real drop in temperatures over long sessions, which isn't a great option.

You probably got the idea from the tutorials you must have seen on ThrottleStop. But start with -100 mV ish. Then run some CPU benchmarks, if it doesn't freeze or blue screen, drop another .005 - 0.01 V. My computer runs through a cinebench r15 run on -160 mV but during real world use it crashed a few times in game over the next weeks, and I dropped the undervolt 1-2 mV each time, now happily sitting on -152 mV for weeks with no crashes. It will take a little time.

Since you have a 2080 laptop, before underclocking your CPU, I would seriously consider a repaste to avoid a bigger cpu bottleneck.

zendik likes this.
  2. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    From my experience if you go slow (I do 5 or 10mv at a time) you can safely have Throttlestop auto start as I always do. In a rare emergency where it didn't boot long enough for you to change the setting you can you can always just go into safe mode and rename the exe or remove the task scheduled item for Throttlestop to not have it start up. First time I see any sort of unexpected crash I reboot and move the setting back and see if the crashing stops or not. 99% of the time it will boot just fine and you can change the setting quick.

Another small trick if above info scares you. Leave one of the 4 standard profiles totally stock, and make that your "AC profile" (there is a checkbox for that) so it will always start up stock and you manually move it to the profile you've tweaked. Once you get it stable and where you want it, make that tweaked profile the "AC default" instead and you won't need to manually change profiles each reboot since the risk of crashing is basically gone.

zendik likes this.
  3. bryneb

bryneb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thermal paste and heatsink and fan.

4. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Congrats on that price, I paid barely any less from Amazon warehouse deal where mine was probably a return! So I took a chance but it turned out very well for me.

Another options for you for those smaller SSD's is to grab a 2.5" adapter and install them in there, and put that in place of your spinner. They won't be as fast but still be SSD's, no moving parts, and much faster than a spinning drive. I have used one for M.2 SATA drives and it worked great but you would need one that works with M.2 NVMe drives, maybe something like this https://www.amazon.com/Adapter-Drive-SFF-8639-Interface-Non-SATA/dp/B07J2T33Z3. I can't vouch for this exact one since I've never used it. Cheap solution to use your existing hardware, albeit you end up with "only" another 1TB of SSD.

zendik likes this.
  5. Rycorlin

Rycorlin Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    upload_2019-4-23_19-46-28.png

Also is it normal for temps to jump to 95 within the first 30 seconds of starting up? It cools down fairly fast there after but.. seems weird.

6. Rycorlin

Reputations:
    upload_2019-4-23_19-50-29.png

Also this happens to me.

upload_2019-4-23_19-50-57.png

Is it just cycling constantly between onboard graphics and the Nvidia card? When I run a game.. it uses the Nvidia card and is fine. The GPU activity says that no processes are using the Nvidia card so I'm not sure why it would be cycling if so.

7. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    That is "normal" behavior with Afterburner running, even in the tray. Basically,Afterburner is causing the dGPU to wake up over and over, so that's why your graph looks so bouncy.

You'll see the clocks go to zero, bounce back to low/idle, go to zero, and so on. I read something about it somewhere, with the Afterburner developer basically saying it's a hard problem to solve or something like that. You might be able to Google for more, or someone else might know more about it.

The only solution, as far as I know, is to manually exit Afterburner if you're going to be on battery power so that the integrated GPU can take over without your dGPU waking up every few seconds (white power button, not orange, with Afterburner not running).

If I have Afterburner running, even minimized to the tray, my power button never turns white. If I kill AB the power button turns white a few seconds later.

As for your machine ramping up to 96 degrees, that's no good. Something isn't right. Mine didn't get anywhere near that high, even before I undervolted. Unless you have it sitting on a blanket or something that is smothering the intake vents on the bottom, it sounds like a bad paste job, or your fans aren't spinning up appropriately or something.

The problem I'm having is that Silent Option and steamwebhelper.exe keep attaching themselves to the discrete GPU no matter how many times I manually tell them to use the Intel one. Well, that might be because I updated the nVidia drivers, so maybe it'll go away when I reboot.

Rycorlin likes this.
  8. Rycorlin

Reputations:

Well my paste will be here tomorrow.. so I'll be able to rule that one out tomorrow night at least. Hopefully thats all it is. My temps have always been abnormally high (imo) than I'd like them to be. Really hope that clears it up. I just reset my throttlestop settings so that I can try the advanced bios settings and hopefully that helps as well. Thank you very much for the info about Afterburner. I honestly had no idea!

(Also certainly not sitting on a blanket :D )

9. y590

y590 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    A listing has popped up for the GE75 with the new Intel Core i9 9th Gen 9880H on Newegg!

The new CPUs might more power efficient, and a GE75 heatpipe revision might be coming?

zendik likes this.
  10. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    $2899 for a 9880H, 32GB/1TB ... and a 2070. That's $500 more than I paid for mine with a 2080, 32GB and 2x512GB SSDs.

The 2080 model is $3399, a full $1000 more than I paid for mine.

If those prices are legit I feel just fine with my decision to buy now rather than wait. I don't care how much allegedly better their 14nm+++++++++++++ process is, it's not worth $1000.