*** The Official MSI GE75 Raider Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by Spartan, Nov 12, 2018.

1. zendik

zendik Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I picked up the 2080 model from MicroCenter, reduced from $2749 to $2399. 32GB RAM, 2 x 512GB SSD's in RAID. Great price.

Build quality is good, screen is excellent, no real bleeding at all. Keyboard is good. Temps are decent after undervolting (which I haven't put that much effort into yet).

However ... using either Afterburner or EVGA X1 OC scanner, I get a TDR BSOD every time.

At one point I noticed that the wifi was dropping out while the OC scanner is running, so I pulled up an internet speed test and clicked start. Then I clicked go on the OC scanner and the speedtest instantly dropped to zero. Stop the scanner, it comes right back. Let it run, BSOD at somewhere around 9 - 12 minutes in generally. Every time.

If I uninstall all the Killer drivers + suite and simply have no wifi at all, the OC scanner runs perfectly. If I just do an INF install of just the Killer 1550i drivers, BSOD. So the suite isn't the problem.

Tweaking the network card settings (power management, roaming aggressiveness, etc.) in Device Manager does nothing. If the wifi card is active, it flakes out the instant I start the OC scanner and the machine will BSOD at some point.

I can't decide whether to pull this Killer card out and throw it in the garbage and put in a straight Intel card or just take this stupid thing back to MicroCenter and be done with it.

2. gkfisher

gkfisher Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    didn't bother to do much - just left/reused what was already there. Not sure if I should have done anything different. Would appreciate any advice if I needed to repaste all that stuff too... reading online it seems nobody mentions it or most laptops don't even have goo outside GPU/CPU.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2019
    thefatapple likes this.
  3. Theynine

Theynine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Just dont grasp why shipping with a single stick is a good idea. I've always found dual channel to be much more efficient, and when you read any stats, they mostly agree. Is it a cost thing??? I ordered dual channel when I bought this thing and havent had any issues......so far.

4. bryneb

bryneb Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I removed it all and put TM in it's place. I would apply and then sit the HSF back on and remove to make sure all TM was compressed (making contact), once they were I applied to the CPU and GPU and haven't had any heat issues since.

5. Theynine

Theynine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I was thinking about the 2080 when I was shopping. But heat concerns and throttling potential made me go with the 2070. And with the cash saved from going down a level on GPU, I reinvested in faster SSDs

6. Theynine

Theynine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    Depends on who you talk to. I have matching dual eights. If I were you I would just toss in another 16g ( from anybody) and be done with it.

7. Theynine

Theynine Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I run stock, so that doesnt matter. But...good to know for the future.

8. tromen

tromen Newbie

Reputations:
    I did the repaste thing and the new bios according to @spudman2080. Temps went down from 95 to 86-87 average. What I dont know is about the TDP thing. Throttlestop is reporting 5Watts max and it should be reporting 32 or some.... What could be the problem?

9. Arondel

Arondel Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I believe one of the BIOS modifications is an offset of -32 to the power reading. So to know the real wattage, you have to add 32 to the number being reported by Throttlestop (if it reads 5 W then it's 37 W).

10. tromen

tromen Newbie

Reputations:
    yeah, but according to @spudman2080 it should be 65W ? xD