*** The Official GE76 RAIDER Owners and Discussion Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HaloGod2012, Feb 21, 2021.

1. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome, welcome aboard I just got mine about about week ago and also just did LM on both CPU and GPU. Let me know how you decide to set it up, I'll post all my photos when I can. I did the foam dam thing around the dies to protect from stray LM but it wasn't making great contact and I just ended up going messy and surrounding everything with thermal paste. I've never used LM before so I'm scared. The laptop will spend 99% of its time sitting on a laptop cooler as I work from home. Also, I lost one screw that holds on the bottom plate. I went to 2 hardware stores and kind find it. Anyway to find out the exact dimensions of it?

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  2. undervolter0x0309

undervolter0x0309 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thank You! These two should be arriving this weekend for me to apply LM

Foam Seal Tape-3 Rolls, 1/2 Inch Wide X 1/8 Inch Thick High Density Foam Strip Self Adhesive Neoprene Rubber Door Weather Stripping Insulation Foam Window Seal Total 50 Feet Long (16.5ft x 3 Rolls): Amazon.com: Tools & Home Improvement

High Temp Tape, ELEGOO 4 Pack Polyimide High Temperature Resistant Tape Multi-Sized Value Bundle 1/8’’, 1/4’’, 1/2’’, 1’’ with Silicone Adhesive for Masking, Soldering etc.: Amazon.com: Industrial & Scientific

Been wanting to use a foam dam for some time so very excited on learnings and reducing the stress that LM brings from spills

3. SierraFan07

Reputations:
    Ok awesome, I used something similar. Take some pictures as you go if you can and let me know if you end up making good contact. You should see a pretty good drop in temps from whatever it is now. My stock thermal application was pretty terrible.

4. SierraFan07

Reputations:
    Oh my gosh, I just turned it on after removing the foam dams and replacing with thermal paste around the edges to get better contact with LM. Cpu idling at 38celcius and GPU at 39celcius! When I first got it would idle in high 40s to low 50s. And this is in discrete graphics mode with high performance power plan. I haven't even reinstalled Windows, undervolt and tweak with Throttlestop yet.

**Edit: For anyone reading this, I don't necessarily encourage the removal of foam dams when using liquid metal. I got tired after 3 days of trying to tweak it, putting back together, back apart and still not seeing the results. I did still cover alot of the board using Conformal coating, Super 33 tape, Kapton tape, and then surrounding both CPU & GPU with a barrier of standard thermal paste. Pictures and description to follow once I'm finished with clean install of Windows, debloat windows, undervolt and make adjustments in Throttlestop.

Last edited: Aug 18, 2021
  5. Ifrin

Ifrin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hi, can you check what Display/Monitor is in your GE76?

6. SMOKE_SKULL

SMOKE_SKULL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    MONITOR\SHP14EC

7. Ifrin

Reputations:
    Thank you, but I'm interested in Costco 144Hz panel model.

8. undervolter0x0309

Reputations:
    upload_2021-8-19_15-15-52.png
    Monitor Name: AU Optronics B173HAN04.9

9. Ifrin

Reputations:
    Thank you.
    I bought my GE76 with i7-10750H also in Costco (three months ago) then model with 11800H show up two months later, so I bought it, but after comparing screens on both, decided to keep "old one" with IMO much better screen (same which was installed in GE75: CMN N173HCE-G33 ). Screen was more important for me than CPU performance, since I don't game much lately .
    One with 11800H on left, 10750H on right:
    [​IMG]
    Spec comparison:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 19, 2021
    undervolter0x0309 likes this.
  10. undervolter0x0309

Reputations:
    Interesting! I feel you on the importance of the panel.
    It's interesting that in my costco, this was the only unit they had. I dropped in today to check on my way to work and they removed the option to buy it.