*** The Official GE76 RAIDER Owners and Discussion Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HaloGod2012, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I'm not sure how much needed for just the dies but it was a "normal" amount. I had a large amount on hand from a long time ago and I just used a couple very tiny beebee sized drops total. I bet the power delivery chips and memory should really be redone with thermal pads but I have no idea the thickness, maybe it's here in this thread somewhere. I did a big "no-no" and just slapped it back together with that white junk since I didn't have another solution ready. Seems to have worked great as the performance and benchmark appear to be even better than those who have done liquid metal.

Not sure on that bare die, maybe a small heatsink would help assuming there is enough air flow to pass by it in there. I've never looked at the temps of it so not sure where it runs at.

I think the thunderbolt 4 connector on the back can do multiple displays at once, otherwise there is a mini-DP port and an HDMI back there as well. I think a dock would work, not sure if they make a simple cable that goes from USB-C to dual DP or not.

Mine came with MSI center which I hear is replacing Dragon Center? However I could not find the controls that I really wanted in there so I put Dragon Center on and it helps control the fans much better. From max fans, to no fans and everywhere in between.

Lastly, if you are comfortable going into the advanced BIOS and changing a setting that allows you to undervolt using throttle stop it also helps a bit more even. Then make darn sure you don't upgrade the BIOS without knowing if it prevents undervolting as many laptops have been doing the last couple years.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2021
  2. SierraFan07

SierraFan07 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:

Ok awesome, I've already read through this entire thread lol so I'll keep looking for info on temp pad thickness and placement. That Grizzly Kryonaut paste is pretty darn cheap anyhow so I'll just get the bigger sized one and the Fujipoly Extreme Thermal pads aren't that expensive either. I just figured if I'm spending this amount of money I'd like to get as much performance and longevity as I can and I know high temperatures over a long time can shorten its life.

3. DanT83

DanT83 Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello,

I recently bought the GE76 Raider 11UG, 11800/3070. This thing runs hot, I get thermal throttling just from booting it up.

I have the fans set to coolerboost and I am still in the 95-99c range (occaisonally crossing 100) in some cores, with core temps varying up to 25 degrees in some cases. GPU is also hitting 100 in some cases aswell, but only under stress testing.

Time Spy is giving me 10,578 Graphics score and 9,916 CPU, significantly lower than others in this thread.

Could the issue be a bad factory paste job?

I know the GE76 is quite thin in comparison, but my gt73vr could barely hit 90 under full load, so seeing these numbers in its replacement is a bit scary to me.

Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks, I love these threads, always such great info.

Porter likes this.
  4. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    My opinion is yes it may just be a bad paste job. While mine was pretty disappointing from the factory I thought maybe over the last few years they had gotten better at it and mine was an outlier. I'm guessing not.

Mine is so much better after a repaste that it's like a whole new machine. Much less to no throttling, runs cooler, runs faster, and I can run with (mostly) no fans now, only occasionally running if I do a few things to kick up the cpu usage. If you do a repaste, I'd go with the best non-conductive paste you can get and plan it ahead of time what you want to do with all the chips on the sides of the GPU/CPU dies.

I'm not afraid to use max fans when gaming but I have found I don't need to in many games, I just leave it on balanced and it works great.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2021
    NuclearLizard, SierraFan07 and DanT83 like this.
  5. SierraFan07

Reputations:
    Agree with @Porter here, mine just arrived yesterday and I haven't fired it up yet, but I actually asked one of the sales reps if factory paste jobs had improved. He laughed and said "Why do you think most resellers offer thermal paste/pad upgrades? It's not just for the extra money, as it usually reduces the number of calls we get from customers right after getting their machines. Most of those calls are temp related and the culprit is factory paste and it's poor application."

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

NuclearLizard and DanT83 like this.
  6. NuclearLizard

NuclearLizard Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Are they pads or paste on the chips?

If pads anyone know what thickness?

7. SierraFan07

Reputations:
    It's paste on all of it just like @Porter photos. I finally got mine out of the box and first think I did was take off the back, just to inspect the internals for damage. The paste job looks great but geeze, after a few hours of setting it up, multiple Chrome tabs open, installing, uninstalling, and yep, HWiNFO showed core package at 98c several times already and some ugly temp spreads between cores lol. Point is, either the stock paste is crap, or old, or applied poorly but either way I can see I'm gonna be learning how to apply my new Kryonaut Extreme in the next few days. I'm not disappointed or anything, I read enough reviews to know that cramming an i-11800h and rtx 3080 in a slim chassis, plus tri-pod heatsinks that may not make the best contact will result in higher temps without some modification. Before that I would like to run some benchmarks then update bios/vbios, clean install Win10 and perform my debloating routine, undervolt, overclock, mess with throttlestop and THEN repaste and benchmark again so I can see what kind of improvements (hopefully) I have achieved. I also know nothing about where to apply thermal pads and/or the little heatsinks I purchased so I bought some non-hardening modeling clay to try and determine the spaces between the components and the bottom of the case. Should be fun!

NuclearLizard and Porter like this.
  8. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Yeah that should be fun, but just take your time and don't strip screws or make things worse taking it apart 100 times.

If you get it all figured out with exactly what thickness pads go where it would be a great service to the community if you shared that info here. I don't plan to mess with mine anymore unless the performance drops, but it would be great to not have to start from scratch if I did need to repaste the whole thing.

NuclearLizard likes this.
  9. SierraFan07

Reputations:
    Yeah I'm planning on doing the same thing as far as pasting first then looking at temps prior to other improvements, and if I do use the modeling clay I will most certainly take photos and update the thread with any results. I thought the same thing about the screws, though I didn't strip anything(yet) I figured I could go to a hardware store and find replacement screws if necessary. More concerning to me than the screws, which can be easily replaced, are the clips that hold the bottom case in place as those will weaken over time with repeated removal and reinstallation. Unfortunate side affect of plastic chassis I suppose.

10. SMOKE_SKULL

SMOKE_SKULL Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    How do you mo itor gpu
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 10, 2021