*** The Official GE76 RAIDER Owners and Discussion Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by HaloGod2012, Feb 21, 2021.

1. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I can only speak from the reviews I watched. Seems like 4 hrs is realistic with some settings turned down. I read one that said 6 hrs with a bunch more turned down but I would not count on that one without some tweaking and personally I don't like to mess with all that. It's higher end hardware so it's not designed for super battery capacity.

I rarely use battery, so it's more of an on board UPS for short outages for me. A couple hours is all I really need realistically.

2. Ifrin

Ifrin Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    To GE76 owners-what version of Bios and EC Firmware you have installed?

3. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    upload_2021-7-28_19-27-15.png

I'm pretty happy with it and don't want some stupid windows update to screw it up!

Ifrin likes this.
  4. tbonephile

tbonephile Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    For those owners with a 3080, what is your best game stable overclocks?

5. Kevin

Kevin Egregious

Reputations:
    Truth is that the 3080 is not worth the upgrade for RTX 2080 owners. You'll get like a 20% boost vs your 2080 at stock, which is pretty laughable for the $3k you'd spend on the laptop to acquire it.

Buying it for the overall nicer laptop is one thing, but if the main goal is a significant leap over the 2080, it's not there. This shouldn't be surprising, when the mobile 3080 is a a downclocked desktop 3070, and the desktop 3070 has the same rasterization performance as the desktop 2080, while your mobile 2080 is 10-15% slower than the desktop 2080.

The CPU boost would be significant though, even just going from the 8750H to the 11800H.

I personally would hold onto the GE75 until the RTX 4000 series on the 5nm process drops, but do what makes you happy in the end.

Porter likes this.
  6. tbonephile

Reputations:
    I really like the new chassis and improved hard drive speeds, no more need for raid. Also just got my bonus and have that itch...

7. tbonephile

Reputations:
    Have you tried undervolting yet? On my current GE75 8750 undervolted usually I get 55-65 normal use and even max full load gaming with 80-90 utilization all cores it never goes above 80, I also repasted with kryonaut. Have any one had experience repasting the ge76 with that? Curious on difference in temps

8. Abula

Abula Puro Chapin

Reputations:
    Wondering if anyone could tell me what are those green pads below the NVME? are they for supporting the drive? or for cooling? are they needed or can you take them out?

Attached Files:

9. tbonephile

Reputations:
    Just got a GE76 11UH at Microcenter and a two TV Samsung 970 EVO Plus for additional storage. Can't wait to play with it. Now just need to figure out what to do with my GE75 2080 lol

10. Porter

Porter Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    I think they are primarily for cooling as most of the time there aren't any pads at all so I don't think they are needed for any sort of support. I think you can take them out, but I would leave them in personally.

My GE75 was my favorite laptop as far as performance and generally had no issues with it once I got it all setup how I wanted. I was just rock solid. I like that they are about the only laptop that I can find with decent fan controls, HP, Razer, Clevo all suck for controlling the fans from my experience. I sold mine to a friend a year ago and I think he's still using it.

I've been fighting issues with the new GE76 but I think it was from the boot SSD that it came with. It would test normal speed at times, other times I would copy a large file and it would slow to a crawl (2MB/s). Every boot it would hit 100% drive usage for 10 mins, made it completely unusable. All started when it got slow on the desktop, I noticed I had no sound and when looking in device manager it crashed hard and it was never the same after that. I ended up reinstalling Windows on the other SSD that I installed and it fixed the issue, still testing that other SSD as a secondary drive but if it ends up being bad I will replace it.

It crashed a few times more and I spent a bunch of time doing different windows checks and repairs. I'm hoping it was just a really messed up boot record or something like that and not hardware related. I still have no idea what caused that original sound issue and subsequent hard crash.