<<< The "Official" CF-30 Thread >>>

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
  2. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Once again... sirius (same as xm now lol) built into my car... which in my opinion xm/sirius isn't all that good anyways... they have no commercials but they play the same few songs over and over again.

3. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I mostly listen to talk shows, i.e ESPN, FOX Sports etc. I have it factory in my Lexus with the Nav and its wonderful, but with my Garmin I can listen to it anywhere I want to. It's awesome riding the GoldWing across the Country never having to change the channel.

4. 48user

48user Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    hi, sorry it's been a while but we had some flooding in the midwest-sucks. i left home with only the essentials:cf-30 and a pair of oakleys. so things are getting better now although it's raining again. on a better note i was curious which illuminated keyboards everyone has? and which one do i want? i like how my non illuminated keyboard types. i see on ebay 2 different part numbers, 293 and 303(last 3 digits) just want to get the right one the first time considering the major dollars they get for them! thanks, chuck

5. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I have the non emmissive backlit KB. It's the non rubber one, not sure of the part#. I love the way it types, and so far It's held up well. Yesterday I was using mine in a wharehouse with blowing insulation, then had to work outside and they were mowing, blowing etc. I had insulation, grass, dirt, gravel dust all on my computer. I simply got my air hose and blew it off with gentle air. Looked brand new again, and feels good, all smooth feelings.

I had the same question when I was trying to decide on which KB to get. I called the Panasonic Tech Dept and he told me off the record that they were having a pretty high failure rate on the rubber ones tearing. Although one of the guys on here said they have improved it.

6. ZeroFlight

ZeroFlight Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yup, that's me. I've seen a much higher failure rate on emissives for the 30. On the other models I'd agree that the rubber ones are tearing a lot but not for the 30s yet. The only problem I'm running into with the rubberized is the whole thing bending which can be bent back. To give you an idea of failure numbers, I see an average of 1 or 2 emissives a day and 3 rubberized a month and I think I've only seen one torn rubberized but that was because of a major accident. Effectively, I haven't seen a single rubberized one torn from normal wear & tear (for Toughbooks) yet. That being said, most of the rubberized don't have a major problem until a couple years later when the rubber has a chance to get old but 30s just aren't old enough yet to see what will happen then. Even with all of that in mind, I still like the emissives a lot more.

7. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    I have the emissive one that types the same as the standard keyboard. I had the rubber one and i hated it!

8. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Zero.... Can you please give us some idea of what goes wrong with the emissive type?

Toyo... I think you mean to say that you DO have the emissive type. Emissive means that it emits light. There is so much confusion over what each keyboard is called and I think I'm partially to blame. I call them as I thought they were called only to find out later that they were going by different names. (This was back on the CF-28.. But the issue continues.)

So... To summarize (I think)... There are three types of keyboards for the CF-30;

1. Standard - Non illuminated
    2. Rubber Backlit
    3. Emissive

Zero... Please correct me if I am wrong.

I think the options for the CF-29 were the same...

As for the CF-28 there were;
    1. White standard keyboard. (This was changed t black on the 29 & 30 as the white keys tended to become grossly yellow!)
    2. Rubber illuminated - (I have seen 3-4 different types of rubber keyboards for the 28
    3. Not sure of the name on this one but it looked the same as the standard keyboard but it was a black and illuminated full plunge keyboard.
    4. Emissive

Zero (or anyone for that matter!) Please correct me if I am wrong!

One thing that I have noticed on my emissive keyboard on the CF-30 is that typing some double letters are a problem. Double EEs, BBs, LLs, SSs, PPs, etc. are an issue and I find myself going back to insert letters into my paragraphs. (I spell-check everything! Something I never used to do!) Zero... Is this what you are talking about failure? (Gee... Should I send it back?!) I'm curious to hear what is considered a failure.

9. Rob

Rob Toughbook Aficionado

Reputations:
    Rick this is correct!... their was a chiclet keyboard for a while in the cf-28's era i think, but the 3 MAIN TYPES are EXACTLY what you just stated!:

Standard keyboard (like every other laptop)
    Rubber backlit (rubberized backlit/hard to type on/sealed from water)
    Emmisive backlit (backlit like normal keyboard/NOT sealed from water)

Now, JUST BECAUSE you don't have the rubber keyboard DOES NOT mean that if you spill water on the other kinds (normal/emissive) that it will ruin the keyboard! because most likely IT WON'T as reguardless of what keyboard you have the motherboard is sealed away from the hazardess environment.

Hope that helps! :)

10. tough-2-go

tough-2-go Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    There are actually two types of chiclet backlit keyboards. The one that is used on the CF-28 is actually called an EL or electroluminescent keyboard so defined because the element that emits light is actually a flat sheet of EL material and it requires a high voltage 80-100VAC inverter to power. This is the one that uses a sensor under the hinge cover.

The Emissive chicklet keyboard commonly used on the CF-29 and CF-30 uses an Emissive LED for each key and runs on 5V DC and the light is a bluish white. Emissive just refers to the type of LED. There is also an Emissive Rubber backlit that is used on the CF-29 and 30 and again the light is a bluish white instead of green.

The old rubber backlit two connector type that works on all CF-27 CF-28, also works on CF-29 just uses standard green LED's under each key and also runs on 5VDC.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.