<<< The "Official" CF-30 Thread >>>

Discussion in 'Panasonic' started by Toughbook, Jun 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Toughbook

Toughbook Drop and Give Me 20!

Reputations:
    Okay.... Here it is! I was debating starting this thread the other day but now that someone has specifically asked for it.... I decided to go ahead and start one.

This thread is for general discussion and light problems/comments/questions. Anything "heavy-duty" should probably have its own thread started to make the search function a little easier.

So.... I'll start it off! My CF-30 (which I love!) is a model CF-30CCS92BM. It is pretty much where I want it... A 1.66Ghz duo-core processor with touchscreen, 4GB of RAM memory, a 200GB, 7200 RPM SATA hard drive, GPS, Fingerprint Reader, AT&T HSDPA WWAN, 2nd media bay battery and an emissive keyboard. Needless to say this thing is smokin' fast! I'd like to eventually get the DVD MultiDrive but they are on backorder everywhere! I think Heartland has them but they want a little too much. (So I hear.)

Right now I am eying a 16GB SSD ExpressCard to use for backups and just general storage. I was going to buy Lexar but they don't offer the mini USB connector on their so I can use it on any PC. The last thing I'd want is to have data that I can't access!

The CF-30s have been priced sky-high but have been coming down here lately. I decided to jump in and snag one. All my Toughbooks have been used more for a novelty than anything... Until I bought this one! I used to have a Dell 2.8Ghz Inspiron 9100 as my main workhorse PC. I have just reformatted that so I can put it up on eBay for sale. I'm getting used to the smaller screen but absolutely LOVE this thing. I find myself taking it pretty much everywhere with me.... Even out to smoke a cigarette! I use iGuidance to get me to places even though I already know how to get there. :D

I find that I have to turn the screen brightness down to about a little less than half brightness. This was about the brightness of my Dell and the rest of the laptops in the house. At its brightest screen setting its like a set of headlights shining you in the eyes! Seriously... It actually hurts my eyes!

With the media bay battery I am routinely getting 10+ hours of up-time! This is not an exaggerated time either. I'm sure I could probably get to the 12-13 hour area by turning off the WWAN and bluetooth as well as dimming the screen a little more. This is one serious laptop!

So... What about yours?

EDIT: To find BT Software for your CF-30... Check out THIS thread!

Wanna change out your keyboard? Read THIS thread!

CF-30 CF-31 Aircard / GPS / Dock / Antenna Thread

2. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    You are my hero! Mine is pretty much like yours except I did not get the GPS or Fingerprint options. I am amazed at the display brightness and battery time. I have mine setup in my van. Working on getting it mounted right now. Gamber/Johnson has a real nice vehicle mount replicator I think I am going to go with. I have a van so right now I have it on a board between my bucket seats. I have all my ac power setup already. I have a Garmin GPS that also gives me my XM and full weather including Nexrad radar, I had already invested into that so I am just going to stick with it. Besides I had a hard time finding out the details about the GPS on the TB-30, maps etc.

I look forward to learning alot from this forum. I wish I had found it earlier.

3. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Dagnabbitt! You rich young punks with yer shiny newLexusTops are gonna drive up the property values here in ToughBookTown; us poor CF-27 & CF-28 users are gonna have to move on account of the higher taxes!!!

*SNARL-Spittooooie!*

*Holds his Mk3 CLOSE*

PPPPPTTTTTTTT!

mnem
    Did he say NEW YORK CITY?!?!?

4. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    No, The shiny Lexus's top is in the garage! And who said aything about young punks. LOL.........

1 week after I got mine, Panasonic put up the used ones to look at. I had never seen it before if it was there. How do you think that made me feel!

5. ZeroFlight

ZeroFlight Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Their demand for 30s will drive make the dealers sell the 28s & 29s for cheaper, having a wacky waving inflatable arm flailing toughbook sale.

6. Toughbook

Reputations:
    I'm here to tell you that the price of 28s have come down. Since the 29s have come down and now the 30s have dropped a grand or so in price.... I just had to get one! For me it comes down to speed, brightness and battery life. I can work on it all day long on one charge. I NEVER would have thought that was possible!

Kent T likes this.
  7. mnementh

mnementh Crusty Ol' TinkerDwagon

Reputations:
    Jeez... I kindof thought my "cranky ol' dwagon" bit was pretty obviously a joke... I had no idea I'd stir up so much trouble!

EEEEP! :eek:

mnem<~~~ Toddles off to loosen up with a little soldering & spirits*

8. Toyo

Toyo Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Hey TB, That link you put up so you can look ay how your TB is configured only shows how Panny ships it out to the reseller. I looked at mine and it pretty much showed the main guts. The reseller makes/installs it to how you configure it. So, just be aware that if you or someone puts in a model# it might have more features or options. Just letting you know in case you didn't realize that.

Are we allowed to discuss prices on here?

9. Cleaner05

Cleaner05 Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    If anyone is interested, I noticed that Fully Rugged Depot on ebay or at the ebay store has the DVD player, Model CF-VDR301U for the CF-30. I don't know what is a fair price but they are asking $265 plus $10 for S&H.

10. Toughbook

Reputations:
    Actually... They don't have it. Like I said in a PM... They are all backordered. If you buy it (with him showing 16 in stock) he will email you either offering your money back or to put you on a list for when they finally come in. The only place that has them in stock at the moment is Heartland. (So I hear...) At about twice what you can find it for on the street if you shop.... But then everywhere else is backordered too. Believe me.... I've looked everywhere and called everyone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.