1. You may have noticed things look a little different around here - we've switched to a new platform (XenForo) and have some new forum styles and features. This how-to guide will help you find your way around. If you find anything that looks strange, post it in this thread.

The official bring back 16:10 thread (part 2)

Discussion in 'Hardware Components and Aftermarket Upgrades' started by Blacky, Apr 29, 2011.

1. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Given that the previous thread was closed. I've decided to start a new one.

I would like to avoid bashing so much the 16:9 LCDs and focus more on what can be done to get back 16:10 LCD screens, especially for the professional and gaming market segment. Yes 16:9 screens are cheaper but there are enough of us who would gladly pay $30-$40 for the extra height.

For now I've started a website where the issue is being discussed and where there is a letter of complaint.

But maybe someone else has better ideas.

2. Charles P. Jefferies

Charles P. Jefferies TG Lead Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    This is a new 16:10 thread; the old one has been closed.

3. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    To continue this thread on a positive. I would be willing to fork out $100-150 extra (depending on screen quality) for the option of choice to buy a 16:10 laptop if it would help out with allowing us a choice.

4. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thanks for taking action, Charles!

From previous thread:
    It's my understanding that both the HP 2760p and the Fujitsu T901 have AFFS screens (at least as an option), which should offer viewing angles comparable to IPS screens. Colour accuracy is of course a different issue, but that's much less of a priority on tablets than workstations anyway.

5. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    I'd go $500 premium for a 17" 1920x1200, IPS and 120Hz............... :)

6. Rodster

Rodster Merica

Reputations:
    Oh yeah, i'll see you then raise you $100. :)

[​IMG]

7. xxERIKxx

xxERIKxx Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Gaming isn't the only thing that people use computers for.

8. DEagleson

DEagleson Gamer extraordinaire

Reputations:
    Oh, how i loved the 15" 1920x1200 matte screen on my retired HP Compaq nw8440.
    Im no professional user but i like having high resolution screens even if it hurts gaming performance.

So yes, i would in fact blast off extra cash if i could get a high end notebook with 16:10 screen.

9. Blacky

Blacky Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Thank you Charles. It was indeed needed.

10. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    You'll stop hearing it when people stop playing games that work better with 16:10.

11. Jarhead

Jarhead Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    A gamer could simply switch to a 16:9 resolution while playing games that don't work well under 16:10, then switch back to gain more room for website browsing, Office, programming....

12. King of Interns

King of Interns C90 Deity

Reputations:
    Excellent website Blacky. Really good read. I support the cause all the way!

ps: sure it doesn't matter lol but saw a typo on "the problem" page: second heading you wrote "weight each argument" instead of "weigh" :)

13. Jarhead

Jarhead Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    All the game I own are pretty old, with the average copyright being 2003-2004. My newest PC game was copyrighted 2007. If I had a 16:10 display, I'd love the extra room I'd have.

Well, if Indrek and Blacky are willing to pay extra money for a 16:10 laptop, why should they be stopped? It's their hard-earned money, let them spend it any way they feel like. After all, we live in a (supposed) free market where the customer ideally can have anything they desire (for the right price).

This thread is for people to talk about how much they like 16:10, not to debate if 16:9 is better than 16:10 and vice versa. Ask Charles how the first "Bring back 16:10" forum was closed...

14. filmbuff

filmbuff Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    thanks for getting rid of the troll.
    i'm more than happy to pay several hundred dollars more for a 16:10 screen option. i prefer a 12" form factor and 1366x768 just doesn't do it for me.

my x220 w/IPS screen just came in this afternoon. abhored the fact that it's a 16:9 but wanted to treat myself to a nice IPS for a change. it's a small difference but the 16:9 screen on this looks a bit strange after using a x201 for 8 months.

i'm disappointed with the IPS however. the viewing angles were good but i found the display to be disappointingly dim in all most of the adjustment range...i expected better.

15. MrFong

MrFong Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I honestly can't really tell much of a difference XD My desktop's screen is 16:9, while my laptop is 16:10.

-shrugs-

16. Zeke50100

Zeke50100 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    The unfortunate problem is that offering both 16:10 and 16:9 would be detrimental to companies who make the screens/laptops, and would ultimately affect consumers in a negative way :/ Essentially, we would be stuck with one or the other.

Although yes, in an ideal world, we should be allowed the option to get 16:10 monitors. Personally, I would stick with 16:9 for portability (14" notebook with hardly any room to spare) and gaming (Starcraft 2 :p), but I can see why people want 16:10.

17. Indrek

Indrek Notebook Virtuoso

Reputations:
    Can't speak for Blacky, but I want 16:10 for productivity, not gaming. If it also happens to be better for most of the games I play, that's just a nice bonus. If it happens to be slightly worse, it's a compromise I'll gladly make. Either way, 16:9 brings no real benefit for me.

However, if it'll make you stop derailing this thread, I'll agree that for people who only/primarily use their laptop for gaming and only/primarily play games from the past 3-4 years, 16:9 is probably a better choice. Which in a few years will be a moot point anyway when the average system requirements for new games exceed the capabilities of existing 16:10 laptops.

18. ZaZ

ZaZ Super Model Super Moderator

Reputations:
    Much more so than the resolution, I'm just happy to have a good screen from the factory without having to get a tablet or perform surgery on my laptop. I don't really see 32 pixels making a larger difference.

19. TANWare

TANWare Just This Side of Senile, I think. Moderator

Reputations:
    No one is saying 16:9 should not exist, that is not what this thread is about. The thread is about giving the option, for a premium, of 16:10. What do you not get about this? the thread without a doubt is not, or ever has been, kill 16:9!!!!!!!!!!!!

essentially you are becoming the new troll. If you want put up a counter thread to kill 16:10 and keep only 16:9, then you will be on topic, but wait hasn't that essentially already happened??????????????

20. j0j1

j0j1 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Well I don't know about the better or worse for gaming, but I'll say this. For anyone doing any kind of productivity work like graphics, spreadsheets, or coding, the vertical space is MUCH more valuable than the horizontal.

The problem is the 16:9 ratio is its happening along with the race to the bottom to 1366/768 res, which is now common even on higher end 15.6 laptops now. 768 is so little vertical resolution, with newer programs Like Office and websites where there are banners, menus, and ribbons taking up a lot of space, you can barely see any of the content. You are constantly scrolling up and down.

Another thing that gets overlooked is 16:9 - 16:10 changes the whole form factor of the machine, so these can't be option within the same model. The less square the shape gets - and 16:9 is less square than 16:10 - the less surface area you get given the same diagonal dimension. Its geometry. For a 14" screen, 16:10 is 11.87" wide x 7.42" tall and 88.08 sq. inches, but 16:9 is wider at 12.21" but less tall at 6.86" and only 83.76 sq. inches.

There is no reason manufacturers can't offer a separate Productivity line with 16:10. There will always be steady demand from business and enterprise for these if given a choice, which would negate the argument that manufacturers can't offer both 16:9 and 16:10 at fair prices. I don't know the sales numbers for Apples but they offer 16:10 LCD's. I would be very surprised if the big players HP, Dell, IBM were offering 16:10 models that their collective demand to LCD suppliers would not be comparable to Apple's purchasing power in terms of keeping the prices reasonable. And people who know enough to want 16:10 for their needs are willing to pay a fair premium.