*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Me. I used the driver slimmer utility.
    I will say though that the nvidia control panel still isn’t working for me lol. But whatever.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ixixmmx likes this.
  2. ixixmmx

ixixmmx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I might do an image backup and try it again. The control panel isn’t that big of a deal since I stopped messing with those setting anyways.

3. falldragon

falldragon Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Just got my GS65 LM'ed from gentech. Pretty happy with everything so far. Two little things is 1) there's definitely a bit a creek/give around the power button. Nowhere else though. And 2) CPU is running around 90c in games.... seems a little hot for a LM'ed job but I guess I'll eventually get around to undervolting it...

One other question, does the trackpad use windows precision drivers? The zoom function isn't really working how I remembered, though maybe it's different between Chrome and Firefox as I just switched off chrome.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
  4. Tikerz

Tikerz Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't we just need a modded .INF file to be able to install the latest Nvidia drivers?

5. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Alright guys, I think I figured out why Optimus hasn't been working for some of you.

If you install MSI afterburner and have it run when windows logs in REGARDLESS of if an overclock is active or not, the dGPU will stay on.

Little known fact, you can also run your core overclock WITHOUT MSI afterburner by turning on "Apply overclocking at system startup". I tested this with restarts and full shutdowns, GPU-Z shows my overclock sticks.
    Now, if you do this method AND overclock the MEMORY, the dGPU will stay ON.

So, what do you do?

If you turned on "Apply overclocking at system startup", do not overclock the memory if you want optimus to trigger. Core is fine and will trigger Optimus but overclocking the memory will keep the dGPU active.

Hope this helps!

Michael A. Saldana and kbrocx like this.
  6. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    The latest Nvidia drivers would depend on which version of windows 10 you're running. Build 1803 support Universal Windows Drivers, which is why in the MSI support page there are two separate graphic drivers to choose. They note which one to pick from depending upon your OS build. After some searching, i've found the the option "windows driver type" on the nvidia driver download page. You can choose between standard and DCH. DCH drivers are only supported on 1803+ i believe, and you also need to download the nvidia control panel from windows store after (if it doesn't download itself after). I just used DDU to clean install the DCH driver and the control panel downloaded from the store after. https://ibb.co/7RvjXsx

7. ixixmmx

ixixmmx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great info for those that use afterburner. I’ve used it before but decided not to this time because the performance is so minimal. I’m just waiting for my ssd to finish backing up and then I’m going to give the updated drivers another shot.

So far though, everything seems to be working fine.

8. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
  9. Divinated

Divinated Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Use windows store, don't try getting it through the browser.

EDIT: Haha. Yeah, you also have to make sure you don't upgrade any DCH drivers with standard ones by mistake. That can really make things go wrong.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2019
  10. JRey

JRey Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yea, I did practically everything the internet told me to do.
    In fact, I have an email string of Nvidia helping me. They have the exe but refuse to send it to me for “security reasons”. It’s so stupid.
    At the very least, laptop is usable and I get no performance penalty when gaming

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk