*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. ixixmmx

ixixmmx Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I like how you think! You only live once, right? I'm working on a configuration right now.

seanwee likes this.
  2. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I'm going to LM + replace pads myself. I enjoy tinkering with things like these to maximise performance ;)

In any case I still have half a tube of conductonaut and some Minus 8 pads lying around.

3. Michael A. Saldana

Michael A. Saldana Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    What's the difference between thermal pads? I seem to be recommended Fujipoly everytime but they are rather expensive.

4. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Well, the Fujipoly pads are more conductive for sure but they don't compress as well as the Minus 8 pads.

Memory modules, vrms and chokes don't really see much benefit from improved cooling as opposed to say, the gpu or the cpu itself which throttles according to temperature.

I like the minus 8 pads because since they compress easily, i won't have to worry about them interfering with the mounting pressure of the heatsink.

5. Michael A. Saldana

Michael A. Saldana Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Oh I didn't know they were from thermal grizzly, the pricing on these is quite a bit better. Will definitely look into this.

Guys also as a heads up to anyone who purchased the laptop looks like MSI is doing a promotion where for a positive review you get $15 steam gift card. https://www.msi.com/Landing/review-and-recieve/nb
    Not that you should shill out for it but if you end up liking the laptop 15 bucks for games can't hurt.

6. Skutchi

Skutchi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi, the MSI GS65 has only the 80W version of RTX2080

7. ryzeki

ryzeki Super Moderator Super Moderator

Reputations:
    then at 80W it is very close to the GTX1080, now I wonder if the 90W would match it?

8. Skutchi

Skutchi Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Don't know, why they have chosen the 80W variant (just like on the older 1070MAXQ) when they have stronger 230W power supply...

Just some first numbers from Unigine Superposition 1080p Extreme:
    Stock: 4483
    +100MHz core/memory stock: 4642
    +150MHz core/memory stock: 4730
    +150MHz core/+1GHz memory: 4720
    +200MHz core crashed immediately

ryzeki likes this.
  9. Skylake_

Skylake_ Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Again, it's not the GS 65, but the bigger brother GS 75 with RTX 2080 onboard.

Michael A. Saldana likes this.
  10. sk3tch

sk3tch Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    I ordered last night. I went with HIDEvolution for a 2nd year in a row (I currently own a GS65 1070 MQ from them). They have been great to work with.

Upgrades
    - LM with Fujipoly (did this last year, worked flawlessly through 90K airline travel miles)
    - Upgraded to 32GB RAM since it was cheap ($150 for the "standard" memory) and the mobo is flipped.
    - Kept stock 256GB NVME; added "standard" 1TB SATA6 SSD (last year it was annoying to be limited to the stock 512GB NVME, and for $225 for the 1TB that's way worth it).
    - Bought 2nd AC adapter set (ended up with 3 for my laptop last year - they're invaluable to have setup in hotspots around the house, luggage, etc.)

I've been told by Donald that I should have it by Saturday, 2/2 (I paid for rush processing and priority overnight shipping). Trying to talk my bro into buying my 2018 GS65. :)

Last edited: Jan 30, 2019
    ixixmmx likes this.