*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I agree with this observation as i experienced the same when handling both models....also its what ive been saying for a while....i do not have pricing info on the gs66 where did u see it? i have a 240h scren now and iunless the ampere version of the 2060 is crazy amazing i dont see 300hz being a factor unless its like 800nits or something.....i was expecting grabbing one in the sub 2k range if not i have no problems waiting till half of 2021 to get one as ia put the bestbuy protection on mine for 3 years so i have no issues keeping it longer than this year onto the next worst case ill update video card on my desktop first.....also wan to get an ultrawide at some point so not spending on a gs66 is fine for now.....i have other machines i use more often so its not a priority....

LoneSyndal likes this.
  2. LoneSyndal

LoneSyndal Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Pricing came from a friend who has worked at MSI US and Corsair. Whether or not the pricing will hold upon release is another story.

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

3. eurodj101

Reputations:
    I reckin it should be more inline with where the gs65 was at launch which started around 1800....im thinking eventually get in on a sale or BF for 1600 or less which is what id be waiting for.in the meantime im pretty happy with the gs65.....i would again love to see if i can put those newer fans on it

4. LoneSyndal

Reputations:
    As long as the price dips below 1600USD for a 240Hz/2070 equivalent or better, I am all up for it.

5. LoneSyndal

Reputations:
    As per Svet. Looks like the settings on the 9xx series MSI GS65/75 are hardware locked. Decided to hell with it and applied conductonaut (extremely fine mirror layer; no excess) to my system to end this issue once and for all. Temps cap out at 74C after 2 hrs while playing TD2 at 3.6GHz on all cores (I cap TD2 at 75 FPS because RTX 2060 wont be able to do more than that stably on a 240Hz display).

[​IMG]

6. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    What settings were hardware locked?

7. eurodj101

Reputations:
    Yeah which ones..mine just doesn’t let me go under 26 on the multiplier in bios but I can set it fine in ts

8. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Ah I see, yeah it doesn't let you go below 26

9. LoneSyndal

Reputations:
    Cpu flex ratio cannot go below 26x. Any possible edits can only be minor modifications like switch fcn key swaps. Potentially can brick laptop if attempting to overwrite the locks since it may require flashing hardware too.

10. nyichiban

nyichiban Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    The 26x lock was on the BIOS updates. I had flashed mine back to an older one to remove the lock. Also there is a softmod way of getting around that I think that was posted here before which involves using the intel xtu app.

Edit: Mine was for the 8000 series so not sure about the 9000 series. The 9000 series might actually be hardware locked. Sorry.