*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Read up...buy ur ssd and dissasemble..lints not as bad as u think

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2. somejoshdude

somejoshdude Notebook Guru

Reputations:
    I think it is 15 screws to remove the back panel.. its not on me atm.
    Then unplug the battery, take time wiggle out slowly the first time will be difficult.

remove the Wireless card, 1 screw and disconnect antennas, then slide the card out.
    take out the 3 screws for the battery, be careful to detach any cables/cords affixed to it.

Then slowly disconnect the remaining cables/wires (pay mind there is one towards the top/back of the motherboard. There are two screws attaching it to the top part of the chassis to remove.

Should slowly wiggle out, as always, take your time. Honestly it is intimidating but not really difficult.

Repasted with LM and 0.5 / 1.0 pads replaced, Side note the default pads (for me) were too thick next to the CPU socket, changed them to 0.5.
    Now I never leave the 70s ever even at 4.0 Ghz (only 2 degree variance between any core).

Have a HP 950 1TB I got for $130 off Newegg that will go in as soon as it arrives. I can disassemble in 10 minutes now, first time took 30

9750h/2060 - broke 6800 timespy (this hits 82 CPU) and 17200 Firestrike (CPU hits 79). GPU never breaks 72

Last edited: Nov 26, 2019
  3. randomA

randomA Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    realistically, if i wanted to purchase this laptop from a site like Hidevo etc., should i go for liquid metal or thermal paste - if my plan is to never re-apply either til i change laptop few years later down the road?

thanks a lot!

4. eurodj101

eurodj101 Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Wait which pads? I didn’t do that ...would that be why I get like 5 degree difference? I did repad the video ram and vrms but with stock width pads

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

5. somejoshdude

Reputations:
    The ones in the red square
    upload_2019-11-27_13-37-7.png

6. somejoshdude

Reputations:
    Gelid Extreme (8+ years - still on an 860m from 2010) is my default apply and forget it paste for laptops.
    I have had high success with Kryonaut (3 years and going) as well.

randomA likes this.
  7. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    The NVIDIA GeForce GTX 860M unveiled in March 2014.

8. somejoshdude

Reputations:
    Haha good note, yeah I meant this one but I do have a friend with 860m from "2014" still on gelid extreme.

https://www.notebookcheck.net/Review-Asus-G73JH-ATI-HD-5870-Gaming-Notebook.28191.0.html

At the time, everyone kept saying that Gelid was great for laptop use while select groups swore by ICD. The 5870 still runs within range and the laptop was purchased late 2010. Got it at Best Buy.
    Due to the heat that card produced in that setup everyone I was messaging with said it was a poor idea. Paste is still good.

I apologize for the confusion as I cannot look up my orders that far back and am terrible with dates and time. Also, I appreciate it when someone seeks correction :)

9. Pommie

Pommie Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Plan on watching some Youtube vids and then one evening when I don't require the laptop, will attempt this, thanks for the write up.

Have had a chance to try out some games now that most things are installed. Overall, performance is not bad. Have played some BF5, Insurgency and Star Citizen now.

Am getting one annoying issue, I am getting random occurences of my Display Port disconnecting during a game. I'll be playing, and then all of a sudden my Samsung Monitor connected via Display Port will suddenly go black, followed by a connect DP message on the screen, leaving me with the laptop screen which is mounted off to the side. Reconnecting the DP cable does nothing, restarting the monitor doesn't help either. Seems like only after a full shutdown can I get the external monitor back via DP. Anyone else having this?

10. Blahman

Blahman Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Recently picked the RTX 2060 version up and I immediately noticed a minor rattling noise from the left side fan. It goes away when the GPU fan is off, and is not noticeable at high RPMs.

Has anyone else experienced this and should I be concerned about it?