*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Inverhyt

Inverhyt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Razer's 90w vBIOS still works with the mini dp

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  2. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Awesome, thanks! If it isn't too much trouble, please link me which version you used so I can update post and also install it myself.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  3. Inverhyt

Reputations:
    xLima likes this.
  4. Orangeclock89

Orangeclock89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Nice info! I think I have the same BIOS as xLima in my GS65 (ASUS 90w maybe) and the minidp doesn't work!
    But in the link provided you I see this:
    Booster Clock: 1200 MHz

And the 90w BIOS I have has a 1300MHz Boost clock. Same as all 2060RTX 90w, its strange.
    If you try this BIOS, please let me know if it works xLima.

Thanks!

5. Inverhyt

Reputations:
    With Turing the listed boost clock doesn't really matter. I use that BIOS and it says a much lower clock than what I actually reach- about 1600MHz (this is on a 2070 so it may be different clock speed but same point). It's more dependent on how cool you can keep the chip.

6. maverickar15

maverickar15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Thanks for the reply.

For the CPU undervolt, I usually keep the core and cache the same. I know I can go much lower on the core (even -250mV) but at some point it starts hurting performance even if you don't crash.
    Was the 185mV on the core sweet spot where you felt it was just starting to have issues delivering full performance? At -250mV I can see the Cinebench scores suffering.

For the GPU, I'm very happy where it is, because I never exceed 72C even at 100% usage w/o using cooler boost. I really wish MSI put more shared heat pipes between CPU and GPU, so CPU could have benefited from better cooling that GPU is getting.

Yes, same for me too - I don't hit thermal throttling while gaming or just using the laptop with just the undervolt, but it will when running synthetic benchmarks on CPU unless I cap the TDP or max clock frequency.

I was tempted to do liquid metal repaste for just the CPU but I don't know if it is worth it to do that just for synthetic benchmarks... I think this is where it starts becoming what is realistic usage vs. just for numbers with benchmarks...

7. unavailable

unavailable Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Edit: Apparently the information I had about locked core and cached offset voltages only applied to Intel XTU. Thanks kshnandi for pointing this out.

I recently went further into exploring a separate core value offset. There is not a lot of information on this ̶a̶s̶ ̶a̶p̶p̶a̶r̶e̶n̶t̶l̶y̶ ̶p̶r̶e̶v̶i̶o̶u̶s̶ ̶g̶e̶n̶e̶r̶a̶t̶i̶o̶n̶s̶ ̶l̶o̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶a̶n̶d̶ ̶c̶a̶c̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶s̶e̶t̶s̶ ̶t̶o̶g̶e̶t̶h̶e̶r̶.̶

I also noticed that in throttlestop at a point around -250mV core offset the setting stop affecting actual voltage, at least according to HWINFO, a -400mV offset preforms exactly the same as -250mV for me. I don't get any obvious stability issues for either but they do preform worse than less aggressive undervolt settings.

Here's my process for finding the best preforming sweat spot core clock undervolt:
    1. Run a stress test (I used aida64) and wait until temps stabilize and short turbo max time runs out. Keep it running.
    2. Run HWINFO64 note the average core clock value rows in the sensors window.
    3. Decrease the core voltage offset and reset the average measurement in HWINFO
    4. After a minute or two and read the average core clock value. The longer the more accurate but try to keep it consistent.
    5. If this average is higher than the last value, repeat step 3; if it is lower or if there are any signs of instability revert to the last voltage offset value and end
    I ended up with a -225mV core and -150mV cache. With cooler boost this ends up maintaining a sustained 3.9GHz with my 55W TDP limit. I get my highest Cinebench R20 score of 3077 with these settings.

N̶o̶w̶ ̶I̶ ̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶h̶a̶v̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶a̶n̶ ̶u̶n̶l̶o̶c̶k̶e̶d̶ ̶v̶o̶l̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶c̶o̶r̶e̶ ̶o̶f̶f̶s̶e̶t̶ ̶f̶r̶o̶m̶ ̶c̶a̶c̶h̶e̶ ̶o̶n̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶i̶7̶-̶9̶7̶5̶0̶H̶ ̶i̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶m̶o̶s̶t̶ ̶i̶m̶p̶o̶r̶t̶a̶n̶t̶ ̶a̶d̶v̶a̶n̶t̶a̶g̶e̶ ̶o̶v̶e̶r̶ ̶a̶ ̶i̶7̶-̶8̶7̶5̶0̶H̶ ̶w̶i̶t̶h̶ ̶t̶h̶e̶ ̶s̶a̶m̶e̶ ̶T̶D̶P̶ ̶l̶i̶m̶i̶t̶.̶

I'm considering a repast as well. With my new undervolt and under full load I sustain 3.9GHz on coolerboost and 3.6GHz on stock fans. I hope repasting will bring my non-coolerboosted levels up to 3.9GHz as well.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2019
    maverickar15 likes this.
  8. maverickar15

maverickar15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Great, thanks - that looks like a good method to further undervolt just the core. I will try that tonight.
    It is impressive that you are able to maintain 3.9GHz (almost full perf) with 55W TDP. Running Cinebench R20, I'm already at 52.5W at only 3.6 GHz with -155mV on both core and cache.

My previous laptop was i7 7700HQ which I undervolted both core and cache together, so I'm still in that mindset.
    I used to undervolt both core and cache together until I hit BSOD, then I went to the other extreme and started using TS bench to detect instability.
    TS bench seems to be a bit too sensitive though - on my laptop anything under -140mV throws errors even though I have no issue running Cinebench / prime95 or just regular usage.

9. unavailable

unavailable Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I just rechecked this, It seems that Aida64 is a bit less demanding than repeated Cinebench runs. Ten minute average clock (not including short turbo boost) for Aida64 was 3.87GHz. For Cinebench it was 3.79Ghz. These values are the average of the 6 average core clock readouts HWINFO provideds rather than the highest one. Some programs give you the highest core clock when displaying a single value rather than the average of the 6. I was running cooler boost and in an air conditioned room to ensure that all throttling is power related. Either way I think I got lucky with the silicon lottery.

I choose to stay 5mV above where TS Bench gives me errors. I occasionally have to run taxing simulations and data analytics stuff for school and I rather stay way clear of any potential for errors.

What timespy / cinebench scores are you getting btw? It's hard to compare online as there are other manufactures that allow their 9750Hs with power limit higher than 55W and 1660Ti's with limits beyond 80W.

maverickar15 likes this.
  10. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:

Actually, this can be done even in the 8750h using throttlestop. I have mine at -250mV and -150mV. I still run quite hot though. I think my highest cinebench is around 2.8K (Not sure). The clocks start off with 3.9 during short time turbo boost window and then they settle at 3.4-3.5GHz.

unavailable likes this.