*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. zipperi

zipperi Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    There are many apps that by default try to use dGPU. Just check one by one and switch them to use Intel. At least for me Dragon Center was one of them.

2. BigCTM

BigCTM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I have always wanted the GS65 since it was released and finally pulled the trigger on an open box unit from Best Buy for $840 yesterday. It is the RTX 2060 version with I7-8750H and seems to be in perfect working order. I think it had been sitting around for a while since I thought the battery was never going to charge. Eventually it started charging and I calibrated it last night. I think Best Buy did a clean install also since none of the MSI programs were installed. The only one I think I really need is the Steel Series application. Great size, great screen, great speakers...Really liking it so far.

kshnandi likes this.
  3. Qwaarjet

Qwaarjet Notebook Deity

Reputations:
    Amazing deal, you practically stole it. Nice find. I made nearly 600 more for the same specs.

4. ongsta

ongsta Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Amazing price dude!

5. BigCTM

BigCTM Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Best Buy has lowered the open box ones to this price. A few others said they got this price and I just got lucky finding one locally. I was a little hesitant updating the BIOS through device manager but it seemed to work ok. I have never had a laptop with a screen like this one. Makes a big difference...I am not a huge gamer but do like playing RPGs like Grim Dawn and Divinity Original Sin 2.

6. maverickar15

maverickar15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Hi folks... just picked up a new GS65 9SD (9750h w/1660Ti) over the weekend deal for $300 off (not as good deal as BigCTMs :) ) and I have some questions.

I'm not a stranger to heat issues since I'm coming from Razer Blade 7700HQ/1060 (which just died 2.5 years into service mind you, I'm done with that brand) but GS65 seems to run very hot when running benchmarks - with or without undervolt I will hit 95C and throttle with prime95 unless I restrict TDP or turbo frequency. Just gaming, I hit ~72C GPU and max 85-87C CPU with undervolt. Just want to see if everyone else has the throttling persistent with 6 cores on prime95 or Aida64.

CPU undervolt wise I'm currently at -145mV. I can go to -165mV and not crash running prime95 but TS bench errors out until I dial it back down to -145mV (both core and cache).

I've also undervolted GPU as well, running stock 1590 MHz flat-curve starting at 725mV and that helps with heat.

I know someone will tell me to enable cooler boost on but it is not realistic to have to running all the time as they are loud and I'm afraid it will burn the fans out. Also, it looks like people recommend here to uninstall Dragon Center anyway, so I might not have access to cooler boost once I uninstall it.

I can't believe Intel had the audacity to actually list this CPU @ 45W TDP - when I actually limit it to 45W, it can only run at 3.5-3.6GHz!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2019
    Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  7. maverickar15

maverickar15 Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Ok, so I've settled on the following settings (i7 9750H and 1660 Ti). Can anyone let me know if any of these thermal numbers look way off?

-CPU undervolted to -150mV, 6 core turbo boost restricted to 3.6 GHz, PL2 = 55W (was at 90W)
    -CPU fan profile at 45, 70, 85, 100, 125, 150%. Maxes out at around 6K rpm (Using Silent option, so don't have access to cooler boost but I don't know if I want to run that anyway for a long time)
    -GPU undervolted to 725mV @ 1590MHz (I think it was at 818mV or something at the same frequency). Recorded 71C / 69W running Time spy, happy to be 10W under the advertised 80W load.
    -GPU fan profile at 0, 60, 70, 80, 90, 100%

Running sustained benchmarks like Cinebench R20 I'm now topping out at 89C on the CPU and using around 52.5W while maintaining 3.6 GHz flat on all six cores. Running prime95 will still throttle at power at 55W and throttle down to 3.2GHz. (TS Bench and Cinebench R15 only seems to use ~46W and hit 85C.)
    If I increase the clocks to 3.7 GHz I see the power limit hitting 55W and CPU reaches 92C.
    On Cinebench R20 3.7GHz gives me measly 30-40 points vs 3.6 GHz boost so I don't think it is worth the trade off.

Obviously I'm sacrificing some performance but outside of benchmarks I don't feel anything is running slower.

ETA - sorry, these lower numbers were from Cinebench R15, R20 seems to use more power. Updated with R20 numbers...

Last edited: Sep 11, 2019
  8. 1990BW

1990BW Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Hi xLima does optimus still work with the 90w bios?

9. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Yes, the only thing that doesn't is mini DP port

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

10. unavailable

unavailable Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I recently got the same (i7 9750H and 1660 Ti) model as well.

My CPU is at -185mV core and -150mV cache. In case you don't know this already you can push core offset a bit lower than cache and still maintain stability.

My GPU is at 1860MHz @ 800mV which is the highest I can get it to without it power limit throttling. My GPU memory is stable at +850MHz.

I'm using stock fan and tdp limit settings though i'll probably explore these later.

After testing multiple 3 hour+ gaming sessions I never hit any thermal or power limits. CPU never went above 89C and GPU maxed out at 75C. I think the 17% increase in GPU performance on my settings is worth the extra 10W of power/heat. As for CPU thermals, I do get thermal throttling under synthetic loads but not below 3.6 GHz with stock fans.

Timespy

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019