*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Jrey may have left a guide up above, if not it's in his blog. Check the first few posts.

Yes it's significant Boost, but sure how much impact on real in-game performance though.

It's pretty easy to do; albeit, very scary the first time.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

2. wtferrell

wtferrell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    I appreciate it xLima. I'm getting relatively concerned about the spikes in the CPU temp at the moment. I just installed Windows updates, powered the laptop back on after the restart, and it's back to 90-95... slowly dropping down. I don't know that I've ever had a laptop do something like this.

3. Inverhyt

Inverhyt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In my own opinion I don't believe the GS65 was ever really made to cool the i9 chip. The Alienware m17 has a few problems cooling the same chip as well. If you are able to I would repaste it with LM. It makes worlds of difference with a small form factor.

Before flashing to the 90W vBIOS I would also recommend repasting and repadding it. It does make a difference but if the laptop throttles anyways it's just going to pull the same power.

4. Inverhyt

Reputations:
    And the Razer pro 17" actually uses a 100W vBIOS for it's GPU. The same vBIOS can be used for the GS65 but the 100W limit is only allowed by the Razer control center, so it just ends up as another 90W vBIOS. At least that's been my experience with it.

5. Orangeclock89

Orangeclock89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    ADVANCE BIOS QUESTION:
    Can I change the System Agent VR AC/DC loadline to 1 like the Core VR to lower temps? And the GT AC/DC loadline?

Its normal to the machine to stuck at 99% charging in Windows? The charging light is on, the machine is at 99% and charging take 1 hour or more to reach 100%. 0 to 99% charge time is normal

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
  6. Moontei

Moontei Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Been testing and configuring my GS65-8SG from HIDevolution the past week and the temps seem surprisingly high despite the fact I had them repaste it with liquid metal. At idle it suns 55-60 degrees and while gaming, the CPU would go up to 95 degrees. Is this normal even with it repasted? Had to undervolt it 125mV just to lower the max temps to 80-ish while gaming and get ambient temps down to 40 degrees.

Last edited: Aug 21, 2019
  7. Inverhyt

Reputations:
    It's perfectly safe.

https://imgur.com/ZQIdxPf

Orangeclock89 and xLima like this.
  8. Mauley

Mauley Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello.

Just got back from a trip to Taiwan and Japan. I am now the proud owner of a GS65 9SE, bought from a 6 floor shopping mall dedicated to tech in Taipei with the following specifications;

i7-9750H
    16GB RAM
    RTX 2060
    512GB NVME SSD
    240Hz Panel

Was debating between the 2060 and 2070 but decided that the price difference didn't match the performance gain.

I'm planning to do some upgrades this weekend with the following parts;

2 X 1TB Samsung 970 EVO
    32GB Corsair 2666Mhz RAM

All of which I had lying around, so no extra cost.

Also going to repaste the CPU and GPU with some Coolermaster Mastergel Maker paste.

One question I have is regarding the thermal pads, what thickness of thermal pad is recommended to replace them? Has anyone done this and can recommend a good brand.

Thanks

Last edited: Aug 22, 2019
  9. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    https://www.reddit.com/r/MSILaptops...ment/?utm_medium=android_app&utm_source=share

This is my post on Reddit for the GS65 2018 version (GTX).

I have the 2019 version now but have NOT replaced thermal pads yet. So this info may match exactly or not at all.

Sorry I could not be more helpful.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Mauley likes this.
  10. Mauley

Mauley Newbie

Reputations:
    Thanks man. That will be helpful I am sure. I can't imagine the layout would have changed much but once I open it up I will find out.

I have ordered a bunch of different thickness Gelid GP Extreme pads because the Fujjipoly pads are not available in my country.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019