*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. LowDUB

LowDUB Newbie

Reputations:
    Update:
    I installed the ram and ssd in less than an hour. Definitely was easier than I thought. Thanks again for your help

Kevin@GenTechPC likes this.
  2. Inverhyt

Inverhyt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I'd give it a go flashing a Max-P vBIOS to my MSI but I'm not sure about crossflashing and if I'm going to break anything. It's an expensive laptop for me. If I won't break anything by just flashing it and it would be a long term issue, I'll do it just to see if there's any good performance gain.

3. stranula

stranula Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    There are no guarantees in life, there is always a chance that crossflashing would brick your GPU, so I wouldn't recommend trying if you are uneasy with that possibility.

4. Orangeclock89

Orangeclock89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Can anyone with a RTX2070 or RTX2080 post a photo of the 230w power supply part number or a link to buy? I have a 2060 with 90w BIOS and I have power drain in the battery with BF V and other heavy games. I want to use 230w ps, is this safe?

Michael A. Saldana likes this.
  5. Moontei

Moontei Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Odd request, but I can't seem to get the Nvidia Optimus to work correctly on my new GS65. Trying to get it to work so the laptop can last around 6 hours on charge when I'm out and about. Only managing to get 4 hours so far with normal youtube, web surfing, and productivity use.

Even when I don't have anything open, the Nvidia card is still in use. Despite setting the offending programs to use the integrated graphics instead in the Nvidia Control Panel, it still shows as using the dedicated GPU. Here is a current screenshot showing a bunch of windows programs and Dragon Center using the GPU.
    Untitled.png

Last edited: Aug 15, 2019 at 5:24 PM
  6. N123

N123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    GraphicsII.jpg View attachment 177448
    Try going into "graphics settings" directly in Windows 10 as pictured (in addition to what you already did via the Nvidia interface) and change the options for the problematic programs to "power saving" or integrated and see if that fixes your problem.

Hope this helps
    N123

7. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Download "everything" search tool and you can type in the exact name.exe and it I'll give you full path. Then do steps described in the post above and sent them all to POWER SAVING.

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

8. wtferrell

wtferrell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Hey Guys, just got my GS65-666 in the mail today from Excalibur PC through Amazon. Initially my CPU temps went to 90-95. I'm really not sure what is going on with it. They did come back down to idle at 50-55. It's the RTX 2080 Maq Q, and i9 9880 CPU variant. Anyone experience anything like this? It does seem to jump up to the 80's and 90's sporadically. Not sure if it's a bad paste job or what.

Secondly, I'm coming from a Razer Blade 17 Pro w/ the 2080 Maxq and 9750. I expected to get better scores on my benchmarks, but I'm actually quite a bit lower (around 10%). I'm not sure if it's due to thermal throttling of the CPU or what. During the benchmarks, the CPU seems to hit 90-95, sometimes higher. It's not overclocked at all currently, nor undervolted etc. I won't due that until I'm sure that there's nothing wrong .

With the Cooler Boost enabled on the MSI, my latest scores improved somewhat:

MSI GS65
    https://www.3dmark.com/spy/8182787
    Graphics 7439
    CPU 7954

Razer Blade Pro 17 - 7703
    Graphics 8383
    CPU 5280
    https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/38612954?

Why are the two Graphics scores that much different? Any thoughts on what I can do to improve it? Is it the VBIOS on the MSI that's causing it to be so low?

Thanks everyone!

9. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    MSI has 80W VBIOS. Razer 90W

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

10. wtferrell

wtferrell Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    So is that 10W difference for the VBIOS that much of a difference in the benchmarks?

And I've seen people mention you xLima as far as flashing the higher W Razer VBIOS to the MSI. Would you recommend it? Is it difficult to do?

Any link to a walkthrough and resources?

Thanks for chiming in.