*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. theautumnsbest

theautumnsbest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had a HP ex900 installed in the empty slot and same thing happened. I switched it out and replaced with Samsung (forgot the model # Evo 950?) And it worked. The ex900 was transferred to my Razer and it works fine

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

2. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Thanks for the info! Will just save up another $100 and grab a 970 Evo plus.

Maybe it has something to do with the controllers (I know the ADATA uses silicon motion, will check what the crucial and HP use, maybe that's the link.)

Also did swapping slots or make the ex900 boot drive do anything?

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

3. theautumnsbest

theautumnsbest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I actually didn't move the original drive. I just popped it in and change the boot order in the BIOS to boot of the new drive. Since then I upgraded to microcenter's premium SSD as boot drive. Still have the original drive in it's original slot.

https://www.microcenter.com/product...80-pcie-nvme-30-x4-internal-solid-state-drive

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

4. Orangeclock89

Orangeclock89 Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    When you use the NVSlimmer App wich are the critical items to keep?
    Can I delete the NVIDIA HD Audio and install only the Core Funcionality?

5. xLima

Reputations:
    All you need is core + USB C and NGIX/nvcore or something like that in the event it does up.

6. Arturia

Arturia Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    I had the exact same issue too where it refused to boot with a XPG SX8200 (ASX8200NP-480GT-C). It will refuse to go past MSI logo or at times, it does not even show the MSI logo.

I was panicking then as I just bought the notebook and perform the thermal repaste + SSD upgrade + RAM upgrade. Ended up reopening my heatsink twice (thinking i damaged the gpu or gpu or unseat something), RAM swaps, BIOS resets until i found out it was the the SSD. Swapped with a Samsung and everything was fine.

Hopefully this helps others from going down this route.

7. Inverhyt

Inverhyt Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    Out of curiosity @hackness or anyone else who's flashed their vbios

By flashing the 90W vbios to the 2070 of my GS65, would there be any more wear on the chip that could be noticeable? A shorter service life maybe? As in, are Razer or Asus (Maybe Alienware I think they have a 90W 2070) designed differently to compensate for the 10W increase and would my MSI suffer from not having that?

Thank you

8. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    Urrm, the answer is actually quite tricky. You see, the power is given through a DC-DC converter inside the motherboard. All laptops have a designed power specification for each module in the motherboard (and its cost optimized, I'm guessing). If the circuits are indeed cost optimized, there is a decent probability of high THD (Total harmonic distortion) when you push the power envelope. Harmonics are rather dangerous for circuits. Beyond a certain level, they can start affecting the circuitry of not only the Chips, but also other modules of the motherboard if the isolation is not done well.

Notice, that there were a lot of 'if's in the previous paragraph. So, in short, If the Power converter and delivery circuitry are capable enough, then there should be no problem.

9. xLima

Reputations:
    Thanks for this, I will be more inclined to post issues like this, even if I seem to be the only one.

Had I found posts like this I would not have spent sooo much time troubleshooting.

I will compile a list of PCIe storage models and their controllers as people continue to post and maybe we can identify a common link.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2019
  10. N123

N123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I wonder if this issue is specific to the XPG firmware? I have a microcenter inland premium NVME SSD in slot 2 (?same controller as the XPG drive) and the OEM NVME SSD in slot 1 with the boot drive changed to slot 2 in the bios . . . . this works fine....