*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. N123

N123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    So I got my undervolt to 140.6 and I further overclocked my GPU to +175core and +1077mem: this brings my total timespy score to 6091 and total firestrike score to 14057. That being said, my cinebenchR20 is stuck at 2458 and my firestrike physics score 14879--when I check in throttle stop, the main issue with my CPU performance does appear to be temperature throttling on multi-thread workloads and not power-limit throttling--my CPU hits 90 degrees pretty quickly in this instance and throttles down to 3200-3400MHz--what are the "other windows settings" you mentioned that can be helpful in this instance?

(for what it's worth, when I run cinebenchR20 single thread workload or the parts of firestrike/timespy that are not CPU intensive, I get clockspeeds in the mid high 3900MHz range and my temps are great in the 70's and sometimes 80's) . . . the main issue is the tasks that really peg the CPU....

Thanks,
    N123

Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
  2. seanwee

seanwee Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    You can toggle BD prochot to disable thermal throttling but do keep an eye on temps so that you don't damage anything

N123 likes this.
  3. Shoehorn

Shoehorn Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    http://forum.notebookreview.com/thr...trol-of-the-i7-8750h-advanced-version.823065/

Follow the above guide. You should also go through and remove bloatware, set the power slider to performance, close/disable every non-essential program, and go through the nvidia settings to set everything to maximize performance over visual quality. Setting Speed Shift epp value to 0 for benchmarks will keep the CPU at 3.9, which should help. Your graphics score is decent for the 80W vbios.

If your physics score is still below 16,000, dig through these forums for posts referring to Falkentyne's AC/DC load line tweaks. You can also repaste if you're capable. I personally like Kryonaut and GC Extreme. LM Conductonaut is great but can be a pain in the ass to work with and will 100% soak into the bare copper heatsink over time.

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

N123 likes this.
  4. N123

N123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    Thanks for all the helpful input everyone. I've uninstalled dragon center and using fresh windows 10 install with silent option/afterburner/etc for the same reasons as many others in this forum.

I've noticed that my fans max out at 6000rpm using the same silent option fan curves as JRey. Is there a way to get the higher "cooler boost" fan speeds without dragon center? I think this might help out my CPU temps as well...

Thanks,
    N123

Kevin@GenTechPC and hmscott like this.
  5. Kevin@GenTechPC

Kevin@GenTechPC Company Representative

Reputations:
    6000rpm is pretty much the max, it would help more if you do undervolt and apply Conductonaut.

N123 likes this.
  6. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    You could install Intel XTU for a simple 1 setting adjustment of -100mV for CPU voltage offset or undervolt, which at 100% load should drop the temp 10c, which if you are thermal throttling will drop the temp below the thermal throttling point. That may allow for lower fan speeds as well.

You may be able to get more than -100mV, some see up to -150mV, but some CPU's only tolerate -20mV to -90mV range as well, so each CPU is different. Starting at -100mV is a good first setting, if you are stable you can try for more, otherwise drop it down to -80mV and test again.

Note that even after 100% load testing for tuning the undervolt, there is another stability point to test, the Idle - lowest voltage. If you kill off all background processes and let it sit for 20-30 minutes without mouse / trackpad / keyboard input - maybe even disconnect the network / wifi, and it is stable then you are done. If it crashes at idle backoff +10mV on your setting and test again.

For a full 10c decrease in 100% load temps is worth it, as repasting often gains less of temperature drop. Once you aren't thermal throttling you can avoid repasting as well.

ThrottleStop is another tool like XTU that let's you adjust the BIOS / CPU firmware unlocked tunable settings, but does more and is a bit more complex. TS is a good tool, but if all you want to do is undervolt, XTU is enough.

Also if you have voltage offset settings in the BIOS, once you find a good undervolt setting with XTU or TS you can move that setting to the BIOS and use it without XTU or TS loaded. BIOS undervolt is good for long term use, and non-Window's OS's.

Have fun :)

Kevin@GenTechPC and N123 like this.
  7. seanwee

Reputations:
    Hi guys, I'm curious as to which tweak/overclock resulted in the largest performance boost in your system?

How big or small was said improvement?

8. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I only did the undervolting on the GPU. My score for 2060 firestrike graphics went from I think 14.5K to 16K.
    Similarly, undervolting for cpu to -150mV got my cinebench R15 to 1220 from 1060.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2019
    hmscott likes this.
  9. hmscott

hmscott Notebook Nobel Laureate

Reputations:
    On power limited results, when undervolting it will increase the headroom available before hitting those power limits. Wasteful high stock voltage not only burns more power, heating the CPU / GPU, higher stock CPU/GPU voltage wastes performance potential.

A -100mV undervolt will, besides dropping the 100% load temp by about -10c, will often see a performance gain, and lower fan speeds. :)

Last edited: Jun 29, 2019
  10. seanwee

Reputations:
    That much? I did an undervolt stock and it only went down by about 4-5°c.

Maybe because its because I'm testing with maxed fans?

I applied liquid metal later and got a drop from 92 to just 76 (Prime95+Heaven 4.0). Ive also disabled the msi overvolt in bios and removed the cpu power limit (imon slope trick) but have yet to test out the temps on that.

hmscott likes this.