*** The Official 2019 MSI GS65 Stealth with RTX GPUs Owners and Discussions Lounge ***

Discussion in 'MSI Reviews & Owners' Lounges' started by JRey, Jan 25, 2019.

1. Dimitrios Sakkas

Dimitrios Sakkas Newbie

Reputations:
    Hello everyone,
    I just received my gs65 (2060, 9750h) and am very satisfied with it. I got the LM version from gentechpc and the thermals/performance are great (14k+ firestrike without going over 80C on the CPU and 70C on the GPU). That said, i have a minor issue: the LED next to the power button is almost always orange, indicating that the dGPU is in use. Sensor data confirms this (see picture below), since there is power applied to the dGPU, but task manager cannot identify any app using it.
    https://imgur.com/a/FEsFD5b

Anyone have any input on this by any chance? Would be much appreciated.

2. eigerandra

eigerandra Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    In the nvidia control panel, you can turn on "Display GPU activity icon in notification area" setting. There you can check which app is using the dGPU. I noticed that it is usually dragon center that is using the dGPU, or CPU-Z if you have that installed.

Also, does anybody have a problem with battery draining while sleeping? I noticed that the battery drained significantly during sleeping, for example, today I put the laptop to sleep in the morning and now when I turn in on after 10hrs the battery went from 100 to 80%.

3. xLima

xLima Notebook Evangelist

Reputations:
    Just to confirm this NVMe drive is double sided and fit flawlessly?

Thanks for the heads up!

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

4. N123

N123 Notebook Geek

Reputations:
    I don't know whether this drive is "double-sided" or not, but yes it fit flawlessly without any modification into drive slot #2 of the GS65....

5. xLima

Reputations:
    When did you purchase yours? I am in Australia and considering voiding the warranty to install my own RAM, 1TB NVMe and repaste/place pads.

But... Considering your RGB failed (my GS65 8RF suffered the same fate), I am hesitant now.

Maybe worth paying the $100.00 for the vendor to do the authorised upgrades.

6. kshnandi

kshnandi Notebook Consultant

Reputations:
    I purchased mine the same week the RTX version launched in feb. I called up the service center folks and they said they replace it with a new keyboard assembly, or I could just wait until "more issues like overheating came up". Yes those were the exact words. Its like they are quite confident about thermal issues originating from it :|

7. xLima

Reputations:
    Yes sadly for keyboard/LED issues the entire bottom of the laptop needs replacing. It's 2 parts I believe (chassis/keyboard) connected by rivets. I was quoted about $225ish, can't recall, this was for the whole bottom part of the laptop and DID NOT include labour (GS65-8RF).

Dang I figured they would have addressed the keyboard issues in this revision, maybe it's the same part used in last gen.

Well thanks for the info, and sorry about your laptop. I think I will just pay the $65ish AUD for the Authorised Retailer to upgrade my laptop in order to maintain warranty. Afraid this version will also have failing fans down the road. ::Fingers crossed::

8. theautumnsbest

theautumnsbest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    My mini display port isn't working. At first I thought it was my 90W VBIOS on the RTX2060.
    So I flashed back to my original vBIOS and still the mini display port is not working. Any idea of what's going on? Thanks!

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  9. Bob_Sacamano

Bob_Sacamano Newbie

Reputations:
    I bought the GS65 RTX 2060 about two months ago. The battery is designed for 80,200 mWh but my full charge capacity (from windows power report) is only 55,000 mWh. I’ve done the battery calibration and generally do well to maintain the battery (don’t fully discharge, charge to 80%, unplug overnight, etc.).

I currently have an RMA with MSI for it but I also bought the. Best But protection in case something happened like a drop. With BB I get one battery swap.

Two questions:
    1) has anyone else experienced such low battery full charge capacity? I’ve seen mention of it elsewhere but none in here
    2) anyone recommend I go thru Best Buy instead of MSI RMA?

10. theautumnsbest

theautumnsbest Notebook Enthusiast

Reputations:
    After I used DDU and reinstalled drivers I was able to get it to work.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk